Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #31
SMOG
zombicon
Re: The Montreal/Quebec Local Fans Banter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelement24x View Post
What baffles me even more is the hasbro shrinkage! Most of the new prime "deluxes" are scout size at best! I can literly put RID Kup next to RTS Windcharger and there is like 1 inch difference.... Not trying to troll hasbro, but i am very critical about the things im passionate about
You HAVE PRID Kup?? Dammit! Stop showing off!

Yeah, the shrinkage bugs me (as do the people who keep trying to deny it or make excuses for Hasbro). The toys are smaller, and as someone who likes to mix and match his collection, that can be really annoying. PRID Kup (well, Ironhide) is a perfect example. It's a great Ironhide mold... better I think than the Classics version we got. But Ironhide isn't a pipsqueak! Why are Ironhide and Ratchet so tiny in this line?? They should AT LEAST be larger than Bumblebee. Sigh.

On the plus side, I do some kitbashing on the side, so with a little work, those figures can always become other characters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undrave View Post
Do the PRID deluxe shrink with the waves? Wheeljack isn't that small. He's still bigger and bulkier than most of my scout, HA basics and PCC Commander. He's not as bulky as Generation Wheeljack but just as tall.
Generations Wheeljack is sort of runty though. He's short. Prime Wheeljack is not so bad, but he's short too. Fortunately, he's also a really nice, solid mold, so I don't mind so much.

The sizes fluctuate, but we're definitely getting smaller figures and higher prices. I might be able to accept one, but not both. Generally, I agree that the issue is "bulk" as well... they feel a lot flimsier. It doesn't help that I got back on Transformers around RID/Armada, so the difference in size is a lot more pronounced between those AEC deluxes and what we get now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
We need to do meet ups somewhere BIG, where we can bring stuff publicly and not have to worry.
"Worry"? Do we need an auditorium?

But yeah... for local fast-food joints and cafes, I think 4 people is about the limit... basically it's about how many people you can fit around one table without it getting too loud or awkward.

Quote:
Also don't forget Montreal Toycon is November 4th, so you will get a fix there too.
A fix? Maybe if I'm looking for old loose stuff (like your table). The new stuff tends to be on the pricey side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayfox View Post
These days, it's the PRID deluxes distro that sucks because [insert reason here]. So why would anyone looking for PRID Jet Vehicon for example (first fig that came to mind) be willing to "wait and see" if stores here will eventualy get it? Anyone who has looked into ordering TFs online knows that a set of a couple figures from places like BBTS costs only a few dollars more than it would buying them locally. Really. It's like 5-10 more at most.
I think the issue for me is that I'm just incredibly cheap.

The reason I got into this hobby (aside from my nostalgia and love of cool toys) is because it was something I could pursue at mass-market retail prices. I buy a lot of stuff, but I also set limits. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but even now I refuse to pay more than $15 for a Deluxe or $30 for ANY (mass-market) Transformer. So when the price of deluxes went up, I fought back by ONLY buying them on sale/clearance. When you said BBTS is only "about $5-10 more at most", I almost laughed out loud, because that's a 30%-70% mark-up over my HIGHEST price. Spread that over a whole wave, and that's groceries, or a couple more robots.

The "wait and see" method is risky. Sometimes it pans out. Most of the time, a wave will finally arrive, and I can get stuff on sale... OR the sale threads here and on TFW2005 will provide (obviously I'm not a MISB collector). Sometimes I get a bad feeling about a particular item, and splurge, or track it down online... things like exclusives and MP figures you have to jump on when you have the chance.

But lately, I'd say all bets are off. Our local distribution has been so schizo, you can't really count on it. I've been relying on the buddy system to get stuff (see Nick's post below) more and more.

In that sense, I think this thread can also be handy as a local community building thing... we can network a bit more, and when somebody has an opportunity to get new stuff (from the states or online), we can share the wealth around.

(just wanted to stress that bit in the midst of this wall of text, heh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxArel View Post
That and, with college, I don't have time to drive to Montreal. Or do anything. Booked weekends of study and being "miserable", O evil student that I am.
I hear you. That was me last year. This year I'm (very lazily) writing my thesis, so I got nothing but time... until suddenly I don't, but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoath View Post
If anybody ever wants and is willing to split a box of figures I can order more than one. I've offered up my extras when possible. This province will always get the short end of the stick on exclusives, might as well find another way to buy your figures.
You're my local hero, Nick. I've picked the bones of your Transformers boxes on a few occasions and vultured some good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz227 View Post
sooo who's enjoying the new tmnt show?
I'm not watching it, but I'm really enjoying the new action figures... which admittedly don't look that much like the TV show models, but they sure do look oldschool and badass. That really speaks to my heart.

zmog
SMOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #32
bomoth
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabra_dmp View Post
Penser vous je que devrais acheter le wave 2 de FOC online? Je sais pas si y vont avoir ce wave la dans les magasins. La distribution ici Suck Ã* mort.
faut juste etre patient. moi je pense que jvais attendre le repaint de ruination ... ya l'air a etre plus hot.
bomoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #33
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomoth View Post
faut juste etre patient. moi je pense que jvais attendre le repaint de ruination ... ya l'air a etre plus hot.
Même chose pour moi!

Ruination! AWAKENS!
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:46 PM   #34
SMOG
zombicon

Quote:
Même chose pour moi!

Ruination! AWAKENS!
...ou "Xaaron", en effet.

zmog
Old 09-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #35
bomoth
Generation 1

quelqu'un a commandé le kabaya kit de fortress maximus ? j'ai le miens qui arrive le semaine prochaine.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #36
bomoth
Generation 1

j'ai aussi ca qui va arriver

Old 09-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #37
Undrave
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOG View Post

Generations Wheeljack is sort of runty though. He's short. Prime Wheeljack is not so bad, but he's short too. Fortunately, he's also a really nice, solid mold, so I don't mind so much.
PRID Wheeljack is my yard stick for other PRID toys. His transformation is simple, yet clever, he's got good articulation and his limb all look like proper limbs. His car mode is compact and solid, unlike the flimsy panely mess the movie toys usually end up being, and has painted rims. And he comes with decent accesory in the form of his swords.

It's my favorite PRID mold so far. I loved it so much I went and got a second one I christened Makeshift! Can't wait for my Dark Energon one.

I'm looking forward to the vehicon, that one looks fantastic too. Rumble has brazen shoulder kibbles but it looks fun nonetheless. Kup looks like crap. visible hands, half egg shells for legs and that flap behind the head is just terrible design! Why couldn't it swivel like the central portion or FE Bee's hood?!

But I'd still want a chance to reject it in store Hasbro!!!
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #38
SMOG
zombicon

Quote:
It's my favorite PRID mold so far. I loved it so much I went and got a second one I christened Makeshift! Can't wait for my Dark Energon one.
I got a couple extra PRID Wheeljacks myself, for... projects.

It's a great mold. Easy and fun to transform. I especially like the solid limbs. Those "two windows folded over" hollow arms on guys like Cliffjumper and Knockout drive me frickin' crazy. They're horrible.

Quote:
Kup looks like crap. visible hands, half egg shells for legs and that flap behind the head is just terrible design! Why couldn't it swivel like the central portion or FE Bee's hood?!
I have to admit, I really like that design, but I agree that it's pretty lazy. Comparing the engineering just to the Bumblebee is bad enough, but put that guy next to CHUG Kup (a figure with some kibble issues of his own) and it's like night and day. Soooo much smaller, flimsier, and under-engineered. It's almost impossible to imagine them being the same price point.

But I still want one. Like now.

zmog
Old 09-30-2012, 02:36 PM   #39
bomoth
Generation 1

Quote:
PRID Wheeljack is my yard stick for other PRID toys. His transformation is simple, yet clever, he's got good articulation and his limb all look like proper limbs. His car mode is compact and solid, unlike the flimsy panely mess the movie toys usually end up being, and has painted rims. And he comes with decent accesory in the form of his swords.

I'm looking forward to the vehicon, that one looks fantastic too. Rumble has brazen shoulder kibbles but it looks fun nonetheless. Kup looks like crap. visible hands, half egg shells for legs and that flap behind the head is just terrible design! Why couldn't it swivel like the central portion or FE Bee's hood?!

But I'd still want a chance to reject it in store Hasbro!!!
generation kup in my opinion is superior than rid kup !
Old 09-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #40
xelement24x
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomoth View Post
generation kup in my opinion is superior than rid kup !
Here, here! I think we can safely assume Generations > RID for the most part. I dont understand Hasbro's logic, they see third party and they "want a piece of the pie" so they release crappier figures? Am i missing something

Quote:
Même chose pour moi!

Ruination! AWAKENS!
Im more excited for Ruination than Bruticus! Way better color scheme!
xelement24x is offline   Reply With Quote