Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion > Cybertron.ca Podcast - Canadian Slag

Old 12-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Canadian Slag Episode 68 - What's a Machine Wars?

As the holiday season creeps closer and the end of world draws near, Canadian Slag releases a new episode for all you good (and generally bad) boys and girl. This episode, the boys look back at the last convention they met up at, and what they got at Action Figure Expo 2012. Afterwards, there's an in depth look at a hugely overlooked series in our franchise, the Machine Wars. Finish off with some listener questions and talk on Botcon 2013's set reveal, character development and which series did/didn't do it right, and finally third party products we're amazed haven't been made yet.

Canadian Slag Episode 68 - What's a Machine Wars?
With: Daniel, Chris, Ian, and Wendel
- AFX Round Up/What we got at AFX
- Machine Wars Talk
- Ultra Primal - What do you guys think about the Botcon 2013 set reveal? Any thoughts on the molds and characters? What do you guys consider "character development"? And what series's did it best/worst?
- PyjamaPrime - What 3rd Party item is so obvious that you can't believe they haven't done it yet?

DOWNLOAD NOW!

FOLLOW CANADIAN SLAG ON TWITTER AND BE READY WHEN WE LOOK FOR LISTENER QUESTIONS!

Please e-mail any questions or topic ideas to canadianslag@gmail.com

WE'RE ON ITUNES! CLICK HERE! RATE AND REVIEW!

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.

Last edited by GMfan; 12-21-2012 at 09:58 AM.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Protoman
The Legend
Re: Canadian Slag Episode 68 - What's a Machine Wars?

Rock out with your cock out!
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

The best part was when literally the morning after we recorded this episode, this fucker popped up on TFW's front page...

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...ckwave-176445/

Amazing...

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

Hang out with your Wang out.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

LOL. Brockville and Ogdensburg...

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:05 AM   #6
UltraPrimal
Canadian Slag

Ahh! When you guys mentioned for the BotCon Machine Wars figures using the Classics Perceptor mold, it was like a bolt of lightning, instantly reminding me of all those customs people did of him remolded as Classics Soundwave. They could do him (with new head and shoulder weapon) in Machine Wars colors as part of the box set and then in G1 colors as part of the souvenirs. Which would be a great idea for those 5 people who never picked up a Music Label Soundwave who is a 99.9% perfect Classics Soundwave already. And if the figure is really popular, I could see them repainting it again for next years subscription service as Soundblaster and/or Stalker.

I can also see them doing them a similar thing with all the other molds they choose to use. They could give almost every figure a new head because they could repaint them to death. Thundercracker and Skywarp would share the same mold and head remold, and then they could repaint him into BW2 Dirge, RiD Skyfire, Robot Masters Wingstun, and/or even DofP Waspinator. Same goes for Megaplex/Megatron and their various repaints. Actually, thinking back to what Daniel was saying that he could see the troop builder this year being all the same mold, but cast in different colors. They could totally do that with Megaplex. Make 1 in Megaplex colors, another in RiD Wind Sheer colors, and the last in BW2 Thrust colors.

As for the character development question, I believe you guys neglected to mention Armada Starscream. I think he was one of the best things to come out of the Unicron Trilogy era. It's a shame all his character development got thrown out the window for Energon. Even guys like Hot Shot and Megatron had some decent character development in that series. Hot Shot seemed to start to assume a more leadership role. Totally pulling a Hot Rod. And Megatron went from being an enemy to agreeing to ally with the Autobots to stop Unicron to sacrificing himself to defeat him. Again, too bad none of that really made it into Energon for much the same reason all the characters changed from Beast Wars to Beast Machines. New writers who knew little to nothing about the previous series.

I'm also surprised, though I could be wrong, but you guys didn't even mention any of the Japanese Trilogy. What about guys like Sixshot? How about all of Masterforce?

I also wanted to get your guys opinion of characters like Tarantulas who doesn't actually go through very much of change, it's more so we just learn about more and more about who they really are and what their true motivations are. Like peeling back layers of an onion. More like character exposition than character development. Question is that still considered character development?

As for the question about what 3rd party figures are you surprised we haven't gotten yet, BEAST WARS! I can't wait for PE's Lio and Big Convoys and Motobot Blackarachnia. Also, we need some "Masterpiece" Beast Wars figure. Whether they're 3rd party or official.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraPrimal View Post
I also wanted to get your guys opinion of characters like Tarantulas who doesn't actually go through very much of change, it's more so we just learn about more and more about who they really are and what their true motivations are. Like peeling back layers of an onion. More like character exposition than character development. Question is that still considered character development?
It's a bit like Prime Arcee if you think about it.Her and Tarantulas have revealed their past throughout the run of their respective series,but looking at them at the current time,little or none has changed in their character.Arcee hasn't done much on Prime while Tarantulas has been doing his own thing while being part of the Predacon team just as in season 1.Like you said,it was more of exposition than development,considering that the past of each character should have been enveloped into their character at this point.The best example for this is Animated Bulkhead,when in the past he was revealed to be an expert in space bridge technology,it has been used full force at season 3 when he became pivotal to the story.

As for the segment itself,I also believe that what makes great character development,as well as great writing itself in a series,is whether or not we can relate to any these characters.Once again,Beast Wars and Animated exemplified that you can create great characters not only on how they interact with each other,but with the viewer.Why did we cry when Dinobot died?Why were we in awe when we saw Optimus become the very Prime he was supposed to be in the end of Animated?Why were we proud to see Cheetor grow up to become a leader at the end of Beast Machines?Why were excited to see Prowl don his samurai upgrade?

I think explaining character development as 'someone who changes from season 1 to season x' is just scratching the surface.We can see someone change from what he/she used to be,but if there isn't a relationship between character and viewer,we can't really say there is any real development.Going to Movie Prime,he changed from a standard commander into an unsympathetic psychopath in DOTM.Without any real explanation or time to create a relation with that character,the execution for such a change was done poorly,and the writing is in question.That's the real fault of the film series,as there was little interaction between viewer and character,especially for the robots.It does explain why some didn't feel anything at Ironhide's death scene in DOTM,or even Jazz' death scene in the first film.

Excellent episode my gents.Can't wait for Slag 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #8
CyberMnky
Animated

Still no iTunes...

If you are reading this then you must be bored...

CyberMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #9
Undrave
Canadian Slag

If they want multiple jet modes for their Machine Wars set there's two of them in the Power Core Combiner series. Pair those two with the Sky Stalker mold and have all three Seekers be different looking jets! if they want one of them to be bigger maybe they could go with Sky Shadow with a different head?
Undrave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Jawz. D
That Black Guy

Sorry I can't find a bigger picture for some reason.

Follow me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/JawzD
Jawz. D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canadian slag, podcast