Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 09-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Takara Animated Ultra Magnus review

Ah yes...my first review...who's surprised at the choice? No one? Good. Let's do this thang...

Robot Mode

Ok so most of us who collected TF: Animated may already have this mold in their collection, but how does the Japanese version compare? Well...like most of the TFA Takara releases...more or less the same...but shiny. So let's do a comparison shall we?

You can see here that the paint app locations are the exact same between the 2 figures with the exception the shiny light blue paint added on the cab and replacing the white paint on the abs & thighs, the shiny darker blue paint added on the chest and helmet, and shiny red paint on the Elite Guard Autobot ensignia.

What I would like to point out here is that the blue used on the Takara version is also much bright and seems to have a metallic feel too it, akin to the red used on Universe Sideswipe (a nice domestic example if you got one).

Vehicle Mode

Still the same armored military vehicle but seems even less military with all the added glitz and glam. Though whats funny to note here is that the Taraka version DOES have one piece that's the same blue plastic as the Hasbro version and that's the liiiittle flap that curls behind the cab, at the side. Why it's the only piece is beyond me.

Final Thoughts
Well...as most of the Takara Animated line, I'm not blown away. He's less accurate then his on screen appearance (darker blue, white cab), and sure the Hasbro version isn't perfect either (having a powderish blue instead of white plastic) but all the Takara version did was take that inaccuracy, blow it up, and throw it in your face.

Don't get me wrong though, the metallic blue plastic and the shiny dark blue paint I like quite well though, so if this figure has any saving grace it's those. It's still a great mold but considering the Hasbro version you can probably get as low as $30 and this one will run you closer to $80 I'd stick to the American version for TFA Ultra Magnus.

....nice display piece but really only a must get if you're an insane Ultra Magnus completionist but I doubt there's many more out there.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.

Last edited by GMfan; 09-29-2010 at 11:42 PM.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
Pascal
Banned
Re: Takara Animated Ultra Magnus

Is the voice clip japanese?
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Wish I could tell ya but mine doesn't seem to want to talk or light up at all...

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:04 AM   #4
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

I can't say that I understand why Takara choose non accurate paint apps for the animated release. Just to be different???
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

You and me both...but as we all know Takara products are superior!

Bleh...I think if the cab bits weren't that shiny blue and more or a pearl white like alternity Magnus this would be an awesome display piece by itself, with a bunch of Hasbro figures on a display however...he would stick out like a swore thumb :P

Old 09-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

Pretty nice review Chris..simple,but solid.

I am a bit disappointed about the paint apps applied to Takara Magnus compared to the Hasbro version...as I was told that Takara was about show accuracy. Looking at the shot on shot comparison,the Hasbro Magnus has superiority over it's overall paint design.Sad that the gimmicks don't work,I would like to see how different the Japanese voice chip compares to the English one...let alone if Japanese Magnus says similar lines to the English version.

Regardless,I still have to track down Magnus as being one of the last figures I need for my Animated collection.Once again,a pretty nice review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
JLvatron
Chosen 1

Nice review, mon ami.

Thanks for the info, I definitely like the white cab better. definitely more Ultra Magnus-y.

JLvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Yeah, I gotta agree, I don't know why Takara went with the shiny paint apps.

I would love to get that new Bumblebee, but he would stick out like a sore thumb on my animated shelf.

Good review though. It's neat to see the two figures side by side.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
Wish I could tell ya but mine doesn't seem to want to talk or light up at all...
I found out online what his voice clip is supposed to be.

http://www.musitards.com/MP3/2010/12batteriesd.mp3
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
GrimlockGT
His car is a Transformer

Nice review and I agree that the Hasbro version has the superior color scheme.
GrimlockGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
animated, review, takara, ultra magnus