Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #11
Chigimus
Masterpiece
Re: What's worthy of display?

I display everything I can, and try to create room when space is insufficient. Whether that means buying another Detolf or adding more "free-standing" shelves to bolt into the walls, I'll find a way to show them off.

Having a wife doesn't necessarily mean you can't "take over a room and fill it with toys and nothing else" as the OP put it. On the other side of that coin, I do exactly that: my basement is fully developed and is almost entirely "conquered" as my own space. My games, movies, big screen, gaming consoles, my entire collection is all out for display on that level, not just the one room. My compromise: she can have any other part of the house she wants. She decorates the kitchen, the bathrooms, our bedroom, etc. I don't care that I have fairies on our window sills or sparkles on our curtains, or floral displays in every bathroom; none of that bothers me a single bit because none of it keeps me from eating, sleeping, shitting, etc. So to the OP, offer your wife the freedom to take over the other rooms in exchange of having your own free reign of displaying your collection in another room.

No need to decide what items do and don't get displayed, no need for rotations. Just get it done.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #12
Einstein
Banned
Einstein's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post
I display everything I can, and try to create room when space is insufficient. Whether that means buying another Detolf or adding more "free-standing" shelves to bolt into the walls, I'll find a way to show them off.

Having a wife doesn't necessarily mean you can't "take over a room and fill it with toys and nothing else" as the OP put it. On the other side of that coin, I do exactly that: my basement is fully developed and is almost entirely "conquered" as my own space. My games, movies, big screen, gaming consoles, my entire collection is all out for display on that level, not just the one room. My compromise: she can have any other part of the house she wants. She decorates the kitchen, the bathrooms, our bedroom, etc. I don't care that I have fairies on our window sills or sparkles on our curtains, or floral displays in every bathroom; none of that bothers me a single bit because none of it keeps me from eating, sleeping, shitting, etc. So to the OP, offer your wife the freedom to take over the other rooms in exchange of having your own free reign of displaying your collection in another room.

No need to decide what items do and don't get displayed, no need for rotations. Just get it done.
Maybe he has one of those wives like the men on TV do (Everybody Loves Raymond, Cosby Show, etc...) where she holds his nuts and doesn't let him do anything she hasn't approved of.

Maybe I'm wrong, but some dude's have that as their wife, I'm glad I don't, but many of my friends, they do.
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #13
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
Maybe he has one of those wives like the men on TV do (Everybody Loves Raymond, Cosby Show, etc...) where she holds his nuts and doesn't let him do anything she hasn't approved of.

Maybe I'm wrong, but some dude's have that as their wife, I'm glad I don't, but many of my friends, they do.
Yeesh, dude...kinda harsh there.

Maybe he has kids too so he doesn't have the space?

Maybe they live in a small space like a rented apartment or they own a condo downtown?

I have a wife, three children and we have a 1,500 square foot townhouse so my small collection resides on two shelves and a Detolf in my walk in closet and my office at work. The rest of our home is dedicated to living space and play space for the kids.

My collection area is indeed small. Does my wife have me by the balls? No. She asked that I choose to dedicate the majority of my living space to my family, not my toys, and I agree with her.

My hat is off to you lucky ones that have the ability to have man caves with wall to wall plastic crack.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:50 PM   #14
CAF
Banned

Yeah, can't be hatin on the wives.
But here's an idea I had one day. A coffee table with a glass top and solid sides. Where you can turn the inside into a 4 walls and a floor type diorama and display some bots in a sweet scene and keep it all under the glass.
Inside of the ark maybe?
CAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:00 PM   #15
elburrito
Animated

My boy grew up and recently moved out. Guess what happened to his room? my wife preserved it in loving memory of our once small child?...ha! Not a chance. Gone complete wall to wall plastic, with a healthy helping of diecast and rubber and yes, magnets! Ahhhgh...ghhhh...f%@# yeah! Better yet, I resist buying TFs so everything there is stuff I "had to have". The problem is I can only hold about two at a time.

@SSP, don't feel bad dude, but recognize that self-abuse is the most common form of abuse. In fact, you probably know (and maybe cares about) someone else who, chances are, is abusing themself right now!

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #16
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAF View Post
Yeah, can't be hatin on the wives.
But here's an idea I had one day. A coffee table with a glass top and solid sides. Where you can turn the inside into a 4 walls and a floor type diorama and display some bots in a sweet scene and keep it all under the glass.
Inside of the ark maybe?
I'll take 2 please.

Actually, can you make one with a My Little Pony backdrop please? My daughter's damn ponies are everywhere and the need them to be contained somehow!!!

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #17
CAF
Banned

I had the idea from a pub where the owner used tables like that to display his antiwue fishing gear. It was lit up and lined with pool table felt. It was pretty sweet
Old 11-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #18
B13
I.Prefer.Decepticons

Display those figures you like the most and sell the rest! That's what I did! Mo' money!
B13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #19
Deception
Crossover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus Prime1 View Post
my new motto is If I can't display it, it goes. Otherwise I wouldn't stop buying

Whats the point of storing it away? (IMO)as I know some don't like to sell (hoarders ) may as well keep the money in the bank
i feel the exact same way. it is getting harder as my collection starts getting bigger. so many goodies not enough room
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #20
CAF
Banned

It's easier to let go when you consider that you spent some time as a steward of something that can be enjoyed for generations.