Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Omegatron
Gen 1
The state of the toy industy

Not directly transformers related but an interesting article nonetheless. It also mentions Aaron Archer.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/schumpeter/2013/09/toy-industry
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Hellboy
Alternator
Re: The state of the toy industy

I think kids are probably much more aware of what they want nowadays too.... in the sense that they are very specific when it comes to physical merchandise. There are also too many choices within a specific brand and the general idea behind marketing is that if you give someone too many choices they end up making none.
Look at Hasbro's Star Wars brand... There were 3 lines within the same brand. I think that hurt their sales more than anything. They are obviously trying to restructure it but it will be a long battle before the next movie hype infusion and even then I'm sure they will approach the line much differently.
The same thing happens with Transformers but I believe Hasbro has taken cues from their struggling Star Wars line.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Interesting article, thanks for sharing!

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
FEZaid
Arabian Knight

Most children born in the past 15-18 years have gone on to video games, both my Brothers (below 18) play, watch, and follow up on video games, they were into toys at a younger age but eventually they grew out of it (except for me.), and not just on gaming consoles and computers, tablets have a endless library of app games, since the tech is getting better as time progresses, some games are on par when being compared to a video game played on any console. Also, Some toy lines have become more of a trend that last a couple of months/years such as Bakugan, Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade, etc. then kids just stop giving it any attention, forget about it and move on to the latest hype.

The most recent trend, Skylanders, a video game that uses toy figures to interact within gameplay, they were selling like hot cakes since ever the release. Whenever there is a new wave available, gone the second you step into Toys'R'Us/Wal-Mart, and it started to calm down because Disney Infinity has irrupted recently, it does the same exact Skylanders gimmick but with Disney characters.

Last edited by FEZaid; 09-27-2013 at 10:27 PM.
FEZaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Dragon Knight
Geass'd

Funny you bring up Sky landers and Disney Infinity because Gaist Crusher from Capcom does exactly the same thing as Skylanders and DI.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Transbot90210
Nexus Maximus

I think the next trend in toys is toys that interact with gaming consoles or tablets.

Whenever I go out I see parents handing their infants a tablet or their smartphone and bang the kid becomes quiet. I'm talking 1 year olds here not older kids either.

I'm sure the trend has already started but I see it becoming the majority of toys someday. It is a shame though becuase it really does destroy a kids imagination and creativity. I insists on kids around me play with toys and stay away from video games.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Gaetznes
Cassetticon

This is the reason for in part. We are going to balance our daughter between 70-80's era way of thinking and introduction to play in that style. Limit her intake of current tech and disconnection it provides from the human experience.

Yet i'm on the computer and make my living so.... So yes I understand the irony or hypocritical view of my statement.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
....... I believe Hasbro has taken cues from their struggling Star Wars line.
I'm just wondering if you have any links to back this up? More than anything I'd love to see the numbers.

The later waves of TCW clearly didn't meet Hasbro expectations, as they all ended up in discount retailers, but that could well have been a situation of them over producing the line.

If by three lines your looking at Vintage, TCW & Saga Legends - I'd say that hasn't changed a whole lot. They dumbed down the Saga Legends, changed Vintage to "Black" and because TCW got cancelled they dropped those completely.

But they added in the new 6 inch scale, as well as the lame new 12 inch figures. They also have their playschool line, which I haven't heard much about of late.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote