Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus
Re: Masterpiece is the new Classics?

By Primus that's a long reach you've got going there.

'Classics' is an ever evolving toyline, also I don't see it Shelfwarming anywhere. It didn't when it first came out and it certainly didn't hang around that much with Generations. (Universe Deluxes were a bit more problematic, especially guys like Prowl and that who were around for a considerably time.)

The only reason why we haven't seen or heard anything about brand new 'Classics' style upgrade molds for characters is because Hasbro, in their infinite wisdom, have tapped out most of the popular cast from 84/85 I reiterate in bold type, MOST OF so now we're getting more of the FoC style figures because they can keep shoving Jazz, Prime, Sideswipe and BB down our throats until they can find a slot to squeeze Trailcutter in.

Masterpiece on the other hand is not nor ever will be a 'Replacement' for Classics. It has always been 'Masterpiece', a line geared towards adult collectors re-creating the alt modes and robot modes of the original animation models. Sideswipe, Red Alert and Soundwave, with his Cassette Minions, that's all we know are coming out next year. That doesn't = Classics replacement. It's a high end collectible line of TFs who are 'Popular' enough to warrant the Masterpiece brand name. (Though if you ask me Red Alert is kind of stretching it a bit in the popularity department.)

Takara is focusing more on Masterpiece because let's face it, their Gaming Community is much different from ours. In order to sell FoC Shockwave they had to slap him in a Arms Micron package and stick him with a Micron.

Hasbro will continue to produce 'Classics' style figures, it might just take a little while before they feel confident enough in selling us that Trailcutter we need to complete the 84 cast in Deluxe scale. Or that new Gears figure we wouldn't mind having.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Protoman
The Legend

Also Classics does modern takes on characters that would NEVER get a Masterpiece release.

Get back to me when we get Masterpiece Armada Hot Shot and Straxus
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
Omegatron
Gen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Also Classics does modern takes on characters that would NEVER get a Masterpiece release.

Get back to me when we get Masterpiece Armada Hot Shot and Straxus

I know. I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding as to what I mean. I don’t think that Masterpiece will ever produce the same variety of toys as Classics, clearly it won’t (very far from it in fact). I also don’t think Masterpiece will ever replace Classics in the minds of collectors. I’m just saying from a Hasbro/ Takara point of view, why continue to produce the classics line (with less spectacular sales than other lines), when the designers/ materials could be used for another line with more of a kid focus? This is especially true when a Masterpiece line will do to “satisfy” collectors? It doesn’t actually matter if it will satisfy collectors or not, but it allows Has/Tak to check off the collectors box.

Everyone seems to think I’m wrong to be thinking this way, I take this as a good sign.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #14
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post

I know. I think there is a bit of a misunderstanding as to what I mean. I don’t think that Masterpiece will ever produce the same variety of toys as Classics, clearly it won’t (very far from it in fact). I also don’t think Masterpiece will ever replace Classics in the minds of collectors. I’m just saying from a Hasbro/ Takara point of view, why continue to produce the classics line (with less spectacular sales than other lines), when the designers/ materials could be used for another line with more of a kid focus? This is especially true when a Masterpiece line will do to “satisfy” collectors? It doesn’t actually matter if it will satisfy collectors or not, but it allows Has/Tak to check off the collectors box.

Everyone seems to think I’m wrong to be thinking this way, I take this as a good sign.
Masterpiece is to Transformers as Gentle Giant is to Star Wars or Diamond Select is to Marvel/DC.

It is a high-end collectible product that is only manufactured in certain small numbers. Classics and its sub-genres (Universe/Generations/Etc.) are modern interpretations of G1 aimed at the kiddies.

While it is true sales may not be as prevalent as they were during the days of Classics back in 2006/07, Hasbro would not be producing a large number of Generations figures if they felt there was no profit there.

And despite what some of us may think, the current FoC Generations are indeed figures that a certain grouping of the fan base wanted to see made on top of the regular stuff we've gotten in the past. Sales numbers may be in a decline, but that decline is in everything. (How many of us are buying new tvs these days?)