Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
Omegatron
Gen 1
weird tacky plastic

So I recently unboxed a vintage G1 toy (MISB collectors please don't shoot me). It was a later G1 sealed in a blister pack within the box. The odd thing was when I unsealed it, some of the plastic was sticky and gave off a fairly strong odor.

I wiped it down and isolated it in a safe semi-outdoors environment to let it off-gas a bit. I'm pretty sure what I'm smelling and seeing is 30 years of plasticiers leeching out of the plastic. I'm just wondering, does anyone know if this is what is going on? Anyone else have experience with this type of thing? How long can I expect this to last before the toy stops being tacky and sticky? Is there any danger (the smell was quite strong)?

Thanks!
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
elburrito
Animated
Re: weird tacky plastic

Are you certain the toy is authentic? Plastics will 'sweat' but usually the evidence of that is dealt with prior to packaging toys. Where was it stored? Also, some TF toys are actually lubed to increase longevity of moving parts. I don't know, my examples are anecdotal. Which toy is it?

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #3
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

The Pretenders are known to get "sticky" on their shell parts that are made of a more rubbery plastic, like their arms. It's the oil in the plastic coming to the surface as it dries up. I've even seen it happen!

I have my G2 Combat Hero Megatron standing on a shelf with his two big missiles clipped to his arms "warhead" up so they kind of look like two big cannons on his arms. Well, one day I just happened to look at him and I noticed a small drop of some kind of fluid dripping out of the bottom of the missile and evidence of it dripping onto the shelf underneath it. When I touched it it was clear and greasy, and the soft rubber tip of the missile had hardened. It was the oil coming out of the rubber as it hardened!
Old 09-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Omegatron
Gen 1

Thank you for the replies so far. It was indeed a pretender (G1 Landmine to be precise). Yes I'm sure it was authentic, I've owned it for a long time and really unboxed it because the outside of the box was quite heavily damaged and I needed the space.

What you are saying reinforces the idea that it is the plasticier that was leaking out. Does anyone know how to remove it or if it dangerous in any way?
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

This is really interesting. Never knew this. I learn-ded something new today.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:19 PM   #6
Shockwave 75

I've found that cleaning wipes like Clorox or Lysol work really well in getting rid of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post
What you are saying reinforces the idea that it is the plasticier that was leaking out. Does anyone know how to remove it or if it dangerous in any way?
Old 09-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Msol
Titanium

The Pretender Monsters are the worst for this. Oily, slimey, sometimes with weird spots.

Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
Shockwave 75

Yeah, all that kind of plastic tends to get those weird spots. My Skullgrin's sword has them.