Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
Ninjatron
Overlord of all Ninjas
Re: TFcon - Quest Bar Prices 2015 vs 2016

I had only one meal at the hotel. I have a number of food related issues that makes it extremely hard to travel, but I was still well accommodated. They made something especially just for me and it was reasonably priced and arrived fast all things considered.

The fact that I didn't get sick from eating something I unknowingly shouldn't have all weekend is a highlight for the convention this year. That's weird but, hey, sometimes life is about small victories.

Sayonara.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #12
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Prices were significantly higher, more than just inflation would account for. Particularly for beers and shareables like nachos and poutine.

And what was with the $2.50 split fee on the menu? Did anyone have to pay that?

Additionally portions were smaller. I know of at least one board member who ordered the poutine before the convention, and again during the convention, and he said the poutine he received during the convention was much smaller.

I noticed fewer people hanging out in the bar, and those who did like me were buying less.

At this rate I don't think I'll eat or drink at the bar next year. We'll go out to Boston Pizza, Eddie's Wok n Roll, etc.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #13
Sunstar
All Hail Starscream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjatron View Post
I had only one meal at the hotel. I have a number of food related issues that makes it extremely hard to travel, but I was still well accommodated. They made something especially just for me and it was reasonably priced and arrived fast all things considered.

The fact that I didn't get sick from eating something I unknowingly shouldn't have all weekend is a highlight for the convention this year. That's weird but, hey, sometimes life is about small victories.

Sayonara.
Yeah, that can be rough, I actually just over the past year went lactose intolerant. I keep forgetting and then things bite back.

Evil Chefticon
Owner of starscream.ca the new Sunstar's Seeker Sanctuary Home!
Sunstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #14
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

I've worked in the restaurant industry for 15 years, albeit not with the qualifications of Chefticon, but I'm very aware of prices. I've worked fine dining and chains, of varying price points.

In a big city I expect to pay 25 before tip for a burger and beer, at this point. Pub food has gone up in quality (honestly, it's my favorite), but it's anywhere from 13-19 dollars for an entree, and usually 7-9 for a beer. So it's not cheap.

But I agree on seeing menu prices increase so dramatically. It's one thing if say, steak prices go up. Because steak prices have skyrocketed recently. But those are pretty hefty price increases that don't seem to really correlate into reality. Hey, it's possible this bar needs to increase revenue to pay for staff, upgrades, maybe their food costs *have* increased that much. But it comes across as more exploitive.

*shrugs*

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:36 PM   #15
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
But I agree on seeing menu prices increase so dramatically. It's one thing if say, steak prices go up. Because steak prices have skyrocketed recently. But those are pretty hefty price increases that don't seem to really correlate into reality. Hey, it's possible this bar needs to increase revenue to pay for staff, upgrades, maybe their food costs *have* increased that much. But it comes across as more exploitative.
My marketing class did a project on hotels, and most lose money on their restaurant, but that's okay because their main line of business is "putting heads in beds". A restaurant is something hotels have because it has become expected, but if they lose a little money on restaurant operations ultimately that's fine because they make much more on hotel operations.

TFCon was probably one of the few nights where their restaurant/bar was full enough that they would actually make a profit for the evening. We convention attendees were happy to pay a reasonable premium to eat there.

It's just that when the premium gets too high, people start to go elsewhere. And while that might not hurt the hotel (we're still sleeping there, and that's their main line of business) it does seem like it takes a little something away from the TFCon social experience when people break up into smaller groups and head out to Boston Pizza, Sushi, etc. instead of hanging out together at the bar.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:00 PM   #16
Sunstar
All Hail Starscream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
But I agree on seeing menu prices increase so dramatically. It's one thing if say, steak prices go up. Because steak prices have skyrocketed recently. But those are pretty hefty price increases that don't seem to really correlate into reality. Hey, it's possible this bar needs to increase revenue to pay for staff, upgrades, maybe their food costs *have* increased that much. But it comes across as more exploitive.

*shrugs*
Steak being steak I have full understanding of its prices. Things like nachos which are not terribly expensive to make - however, they were not even really nice.

Evil Chefticon
Owner of starscream.ca the new Sunstar's Seeker Sanctuary Home!
Sunstar is offline   Reply With Quote