Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-13-2015, 03:55 AM   #11
Larkhainan
Robot in Disguise
Re: Quick Rant: The TF Logo

Large companies constantly re-design their logos. Look at DC and their horrible toilet seat modern logo.

Granted that logo looks fit to poop on (well technically in), so I'm not really arguing with you. I get most of my stuff from an American so I never really see Hasbro packaging.

Anyway upload images to imgur, works fine.
Larkhainan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 02:43 PM   #12
CanBot
Cybertron

That DC thing above is...well, let's just say I don't like it. But I'm not a huge comic fan either...but Marvel had it's logo, Dark Horse, DC...you just don't see the biggest brands change unless things are in a huge state of flux.

TFs didn't need to change the logo, IMO. Does Ford or Chev or BMW (or any other major car brand) do this? Apple? IBM? GE? ...ok, it's a bit of an apples and oranges thing I realize that. I remember Mattel's logo, and it was pretty much the same. Milton Bradley...Parker Bros...but Hasbro has changed it up and they're the biggest toy manufacturer in the world. I have an idea of what it is now, but it's not something that jumps at me.

Personally, I like the original font and think that the move to the new one doesn't do the line justice. The new one may be more functional, but I don't think that's the job of a proper logo (font style). Food for thought.
Old 09-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #13
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

Companies and Brands change/evolve their identities as often as regimes changes. Some are just more noticeable than others.

Google just changed its logo on Sept 1.
Darth Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:40 PM   #14
steamwhistle
Crossover

The original font is classic and distinct. The Ziggy comics also utilized lettering which also looks like a mix of upper- and lower-case letter. I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

I do prefer the original font style more... Much more... Than the new style of lettering.

I actually write in the Classic Transformers style of font (specifically the stylized 'A', 'R', 'M', and 'N' letters, about 90% of the time, whenever making lists, filling out forms, writing cheques, etc....

I even took on a new job recently, and have introduced the font into most of the things I have to write down. Many of the things I write will also get filed into government records (eventually). :P
steamwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #15
Rev
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBot View Post
That DC thing above is...well, let's just say I don't like it. But I'm not a huge comic fan either...but Marvel had it's logo, Dark Horse, DC...you just don't see the biggest brands change unless things are in a huge state of flux.

TFs didn't need to change the logo, IMO. Does Ford or Chev or BMW (or any other major car brand) do this? Apple? IBM? GE? ...ok, it's a bit of an apples and oranges thing I realize that. I remember Mattel's logo, and it was pretty much the same. Milton Bradley...Parker Bros...but Hasbro has changed it up and they're the biggest toy manufacturer in the world. I have an idea of what it is now, but it's not something that jumps at me.

Personally, I like the original font and think that the move to the new one doesn't do the line justice. The new one may be more functional, but I don't think that's the job of a proper logo (font style). Food for thought.

Literally every one of these companies does this. http://www.logoworks.com/articles/20...go-evolutions/
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:57 PM   #16
Larkhainan
Robot in Disguise

It's funny how many of those logos are worse - meaning I think them too busy, too indistinct or too bloated. The Microsoft one is so perfectly Microsoft, for example, MS should just be a simple MS logo but nope gotta add some text. The LG one is the worst, it's like they couldn't decide between two logos and went with both.

Total aside of course, but that's a great link.
Larkhainan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:49 AM   #17
CanBot
Cybertron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Literally every one of these companies does this. http://www.logoworks.com/articles/20...go-evolutions/
Yet each one I mentioned has kept the essence of the older logos...in literally every single one, Rev. The new TF logo has very little in common with the old one, that much is obvious.

I understand that logos can change and do change. I just thought TFs were a big enough brand that they didn't need to do so, or in such a different way. It's not a dealbreaker of course, but just my observation after looking at the Metroplex box in comparison to the recent Combiner Wars stuff.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #18
Omegatron
Gen 1

Yes the old logo is difficult from a typography point of view and no, no modern design firm would consider it appropriate. It also looks dated and I can understand Hasbro wanting a modern design.

But...

The old logo has something the modern one lacks: Impact!

It looks like nothing else and is easily recognizable. I understand why corporations like standardization but I feel the old ways were more creative (with apologies in advance for Graphic Designers everywhere because I don't think for 1 second any of you are uncreative people).
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #19
Msol
Titanium

Man, I love the wavy gradient of the old one. It's shiny and chrome.
Msol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:37 PM   #20
justprime
Animated

That's it in s nut she'll old or not it stands out in a world of crappy basic all look the same advertising the early tri color logo still rocks and sets the tone for a toyline that stands apart from the rest.....
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote