Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 05-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
shmax
Mini-Con
Canadian Transformers reference?

Hi guys, I don't know how many of you are familiar with it, but I run a site that has the ambitious goal of cataloging every Transformer toy ever made, http://www.shmax.com. Oh, I know, everybody has this idea at one time or another, but we've been at it for around four years now, and we're now tracking pretty much every part from every variant of every release from every toyline from every country, from Argentina to Venezuela.

Except Canada.

I have no idea why. Back when I was doing most of the data entry myself, I had no idea that toys sold in Canada were anything but identical to the ones we get in the US, so I just lumped everything together under "North America". Most of our users--who now do all the data entry--are similarly clueless, or perhaps just dreading the task of documenting all those releases.

I was recently set straight by a member with some Canadian toys in his collection who idly wondered how he could add his Canadian toys to his collection (using our interactive checklist). I told him I'd see about getting those records added.

Only trouble is, I have no idea which toys had a Canadian release. By "Canadian release", I mean toys that were sold specifically for the Canadian market, which means a unique UPC, likely multiple languages on the packaging, and so on.

So, can you guys help? Is there a reference somewhere that has an exhaustive listing of Canadian releases? How about getting me started with a list of specific toylines? Do any of you maintain your own list of UPCs, release dates, or release prices? Are any of you interested in doing a little data entry?

Thanks so much!
shmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave
Re: Canadian Transformers reference?

well you got Recon Ravage for one.

Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
pandaprime
aficionado!

Red G1 Slag?

http://www.toyarchive.com/Transforme...RedCanada.html

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Well there are a few variants, and TONS of "UK" exclusives that we got in the early 90's but as for a complete collection of the Canadian UPC codes and box variations....good luck, most of those are destroyed by now but yes, they were MOSTLY bilingual. Hasn't really been till recent years that we've had some English only boxes and cards slip into Canada

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
shmax
Mini-Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malwave View Post
well you got Recon Ravage for one.

Well, that's not exactly the wealth of information I was hoping for, but it's a start, I suppose. You didn't mention a toyline, so I'll assume you're talking about the mail-away toy from the Revenge of the Fallen line. Okay, great, I've added that toyline to the Canadian branch of the database. Anything else come to mind?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
shmax
Mini-Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
Well there are a few variants, and TONS of "UK" exclusives that we got in the early 90's but as for a complete collection of the Canadian UPC codes and box variations....good luck, most of those are destroyed by now but yes, they were MOSTLY bilingual. Hasn't really been till recent years that we've had some English only boxes and cards slip into Canada
Really, at this point I'd settle for very high level information, such as a list of toylines. Then I can just add 'em to the database and let the users fill them in. I could just wade in and start adding things like "Energon" and "Cybertron" willy-nilly, but I'd sort of like to have a real-live Canadian lead the charge.

So, here we still are. Surely one of you must have some real information? Come on, don't be shy!
Old 05-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmax View Post
Anything else come to mind?
Would the Universe 2-packs of Springer/Ratbat and Roadbuster/Dirge count? Unlike the States, those sets did not include the comic books that were advertised on the packaging.

Universe 25th Anniversary G1 Optimus Prime was actually different than the US release. The packaging was different, the way the contents was displayed in the package was different, the shade of red used on Prime was a slightly different red (I think), and the set omitted the dvd that was in the US version.

That's not much, but I hope that's info you can use.

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).

Last edited by Stapler; 05-09-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #8
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Well, that's not exactly the wealth of information I was hoping for, but it's a start, I suppose. You didn't mention a toyline, so I'll assume you're talking about the mail-away toy from the Revenge of the Fallen line. Okay, great, I've added that toyline to the Canadian branch of the database. Anything else come to mind?
Unfortunately he just gave you likely useless information. This is what happens when people spout off without knowing what they're talking about.

Recon Ravage (yes from ROTF) came in English only packaging in Canadian retail, thus it's most likely what the Americans got in their mail away promotion. The UPC on him is 53569 50141 if you wanna compare with your notes.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave

Quote:
well...aside from any bilingual packages for some TFs, I'm unaware of many Canadian-only figures. Course I'm not - what can be called - an encyclopedia of TF knowledge. ^^;
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:56 PM   #10
shmax
Mini-Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malwave View Post
well...aside from any bilingual packages for some TFs
That's exactly what we're interested in. In the context of our database, every unique instance of packaging warrants its own record. This is not an attempt to flush out Canada-only toys, just an effort to document those toys which had a Canadian retail release, typically in their own packaging (bilingual, I imagine).