Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 07-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
crimbot
Some Guy
Spraypaint Brands?

So I've never painted a TF before and I'm about to start. I was wondering what the general consensus was on BRANDS of spray paint, whether some were significantly better than others or not.

What I bought was Krylon Paint. any thoughts?

Thanks for the input
Old 07-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Aernaroth
Metroplex
Re: Spraypaint Brands?

I think its going to be more important to know the type of paint (latex, acrylic, etc.) rather than the brand, but I'm sure there are people who prefer one brand over another.

It also likely depends what you're planning on using the paint for.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
crimbot
Some Guy

I didn't actually even know that types played into it, that's how newbie I am to the situation. Those opinions will help me out then too.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

This my my simple approach to custmizing, kind of a bang for the buck approach for someone(like myself) who is unwilling to invest in fancy airbrushes, paints and what not.

I've tried a few different brands and Krylon Fusion for plastic is the best thing coming out of a can that I've found............based on Dak's reccomendation for spray paints no less.

The best example I have from my own stuff is my Wasp.(Also the white on my in progress Jazz in Krylon as well.) The green was all Krylon with no other coating. It's very chip resistant but give it at least a week to dry once you have applied all your coats.

And apply your coats maybe 15-30 minutes apart. If you leave it sit to long you'll find that the Krylon doesn't bond well to itself, if at all.

Also I then always spray some Krylon into a little container(plastic butter dish or something) to touch up the areas that the spray missed with a brush.

You'll find that the Krylon drys to the touch fairly quickly and is very chip ressistant, but do try to gve it that week once you've got the coats on.

Once that week has passed I move to the detailing, some with decals, some with Folk Art Acrylic paint. That paint chips very easily(it can be strengthened with an Acrylic paint sealer once done) so is best to not use it on areas like joints that rub.

One can also cheat a little on small details with Sharpie Marker.

The only negative thing I'd say about the Krylon is that I've always gotten the same glossy finish from it which doesn't quite match the look of Hasbro's actual paint.

Examples:

Click image for larger version

Name:	TC 001.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	3095Click image for larger version

Name:	TC 002.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	3096Click image for larger version

Name:	Seekers 001.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	3097

Thundercracker is still in progress but hopefully will give you the idea of what I'm talking about with the different paints I use.

Also in the group shot you'll notice that Thundercracker fits into the general scheme fairly well but Dirge is even a bit more shiny. Thats because I applied the Arcylic paint sealer to the whole figure......If I had it to do over I wouldn't......thats hindsight....but Dirge was done with the Krylon as well.

Just a warning Rylan, for every project I have that I'm happy with the outcome of I have one thats a bit of a bust. I'm getting more consistent as I go but it can get pretty frutrating at times

You just have to stay the course and see how it goes. Be realistic about your goals. Don't look at Frenzy-Rumble's or TTT work and get down on your own stuff or I think you might sour on the experience real fast.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
crimbot
Some Guy

hahaha, thanks rob! I ended up already blowing this first project, I was trying to take the pins out of bumblebees back "wing panels" and they just wouldn't come. I ended up busting the holes, so now I've got a half painted bumblebee all in peices! OH well. next project!

I like the way that the Krylon seems to coat so far though...
Old 07-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

I don't touch those pins. Thats beyond my skill level.

At least you have a practice Bee now.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote