Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #21
Deemar
Banned
Re: TFs vs. Sunlight

I'm going to be moving my display soon and have the same problem. Is there any confirmation that it's for sure only the UV light that turns the colour? I don't want to rely on it to find out my entire collection fell victim to something else in the light.
Deemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #22
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deemar View Post
I'm going to be moving my display soon and have the same problem. Is there any confirmation that it's for sure only the UV light that turns the colour? I don't want to rely on it to find out my entire collection fell victim to something else in the light.
I remembered a super detailed post about this from the showcase your collection thread, and I dug it up for you. It's excellent and comes from someone who works in the field:

Question:

Question about that...My cases don't have any direct sunlight coming in on them...But, that said, I mean, natural light/day light does come in through the windows..will that yellow or fade figures..I mean, just reflected light --you know what I mean..It's daylight out...so, rooms brighter and light comes in naturally..But never does direct sunlight or sun rays come in through my window and onto the cases..should they be ok?

Answer by Omegatron

Please forgive a rather technical answer but my job is to keep museum artifacts safe, including from harmful exposure to light. When it comes to light damage two things matter, the level of the light (brightness) and the UV content. Light levels are measured in Lux. Natural sunlight can easily be a few thousand Lux. This will fade and damage paint very quickly. Its not that reflected sunlight won’t damage a Transformer its just that the Lux levels will be lower and the damage much less severe. If anyone’s interested museums try to limit Lux levels to 300 or less. At these levels damage is very slow and often unnoticeable. I’m not suggesting that anyone go out and buy a Lux meter, though they do exisit and you can if you want, just keeping your collection in relatively low light and definitely out of direct sunlight will do. The only way to completely avoid damage is to keep your toys in the dark.

UV is a bit trickier. In this case it is the wavelength that matters. UV film works by blocking the wavelength that is damaging. It’s quite effective although it does break down over time. UV film does not block visible light so don’t assume that you can place a display case coated in UV film in direct sunlight. UV is absorbed and changes paint at a chemical level over time. Certain paints are more susceptible than others which is why some toys fade and other don’t. Again UV levels in reflected light are lower than direct sunlight and a relatively low level of light in a room will also mean that the UV levels are low as well. It’s also important to remember that compact fluorescent lights also emit UV so a brightly lit room with no windows can still damage your collection. Basically keep your collection out of direct light, keep the light levels low and turn the lights out when you leave. If you plan to keep a toy for a few years and then sell it, keep it in a box.

Thanks and sorry for the lecture.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!

Last edited by Bruticus82; 10-02-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #23
Protoman
The Legend

I keep all windows blocked out in my collection rooms.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #24
chans formers
raff ow roud

^same^
i use either card board or dark curtains.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #25
Autobot Hound
Tracking Cons since 87'

Those are some great ideas and good info to know.

Unfortunately & Fortunately I barely have any natural sunlight coming in my room. gotta love/hate those old downtown buildings built right beside each other. My TF's are protected from UV rays but i have no concept of what's going on outside. lolzz
Autobot Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #26
crimbot
Some Guy

Sorry to resurrect the zombie... I winted to finally update how I took care of the problem. I picked up some black plastic board from the Home Depot and put it in front of the window. nothing super fancy, just how I took care of it.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #27
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Now that my collection is reaching a size more than just casual collecting this has been on the back of my mind.

I hung a dark light blocking curtain over the window that the sun shines directly into the room from. And the window on the opposite side I keep the blind only slightly open. No direct sun comes from that window, just 'Ambient' sun light.

And I do have one CFL light bulb that is on for a handful of hours a day.

I'm not too worried.. But I have thought about it.

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #28
Deemar
Banned

I have mine in a bright bedroom right now where they're not getting hit by direct sunlight but just sunlight that's bouncing around the room. I've considered putting them right in the main living area as my experience is suggesting the sunlight doesn't directly shine through this window neither. Any suggestions?
Deemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:17 AM   #29
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

cut the light in the collection room, any sunslight that hits your white figs, or any colour really, will make them yellow

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote