Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag
Kreo Devastator

Totally borrowed and out right stole from Echotransformer's design on this here http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=44044 Without him, I wouldn't have been able to come up with my spin on things.

The big flaw in Kreos is the bigger the figure the more floppy the ball joints become. I think I've solved a bit of that by doubling up on the all ball joints, and it's just enough to support the weight of two Devastator sets and give me some poseability. The figure is completely stable.

A peak behind how I got the poseablility without having the floppy ball joints. The figure is pretty solid. It's tipped over several times and all I had to do was pick it up and put back on one or two small pieces.

Here are the individual vehicles. As I stated above, I took a lot of cues from Echotransformer's design. The limbs and the upper chest are reversed engineered from Echo's photos, so I'd say 90% of those are his.

The one figure I for the most part designed myself is the ugly one, aka Long Haul. In order to make the robot solid a vehicle mode had to be sacrificed. That thing is pretty much made of ball joints. I pretty much used every single one in the two Devastator sets.

And now the obligatory comparison shot.

Last edited by Sun Swipe Prime; 12-07-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Sun Swipe Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
Autobot_Lancer
Robot in Disguise
Re: Kreo Devastator

I need to know how to do this, I just picked up my second set today from Walmart for $40
Old 12-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

^The limbs are simple. Take a look at Echotransformer's pics, you can reverse engineer those fairly easily. Same with the upper torso, Hook.

For me the key was figuring out how to connect the upper torso, Hook, to the thighs, Long haul, and how to put together Long Haul himself.

The trick is using the ball joints to stabilize the connections between Hook and Long Haul. Long Haul is made up of like 75% ball joint pieces.

I wish I could do step-by-step instructions, but truthfully, all I did was fiddle and fiddle until I got it to work. I had to rebuild Long Haul like four times before I came up with this. But If you look at how some of the larger Kreo figure torsos are put together, you'll understand how to stabilize the torso for Devastator. I took my cues from Sentinel Prime. Here's a link to the instructions on how he's put together. http://www.hasbro.com/common/documen...CCA0355C8B.pdf

Notice on steps 27 and 43 for building Sentinel Prime each of these steps involves putting a vertical strip down the torso of the figure. Well, from what I can tell, what these bars do is stabilize the torso. They keep the blocks compress and prevents the weight of the figure from torque the torso pieces part. That's what you have to figure out when you connect Hook to Long Haul.

I hope this helps. Putting this figure together took me like 20+ hours, and I used up almost all the blocks from the two kreo sets.

PS. If you can get your hands on a lego separator, I'd advise doing that. Tearing apart lego can be a pain and having a lego separator will save your fingers a lot of pain.

Last edited by Sun Swipe Prime; 12-07-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Looks awesome

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
CBII
Animated

Well I'm very happy I got my second set from Walmart as well.

Is there anyway between you and echo that we can get a more detailed build up of this?

Not being lazy, just have limited time and haven't built lego or brick stuff since I was like 12.

Any extra help would be greatly appriecated by myself and most likely A LOT of others.
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Autobot_Lancer
Robot in Disguise

^ this
Old 12-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBII View Post
Is there anyway between you and echo that we can get a more detailed build up of this?
What exactly do you want to see?

I'll be more than happy to help out and put up more pics. Just let me know what's giving you problems.

But like I said above. I didn't plan this out. Until Kreo came out I hadn't touch lego since I was 12 too. I just followed Echo's pics and fiddled until I got it to where I was happy.

If you look at Echo's pics, it's obvious which pieces he used how he put together the limbs and the upper chest vehicles. The hard part is Long Haul, and I'll put up some more pics of him if you want, and I'll be glad to answer questions.

I can tell you everything you need is in the two Devy sets. Also I found that actually assembling Devastator and the individual robots and vehicles as per the instructions informed me on how to proceed with this version of things.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
CBII
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
What exactly do you want to see?

I'll be more than happy to help out and put up more pics. Just let me know what's giving you problems.

But like I said above. I didn't plan this out. Until Kreo came out I hadn't touch lego since I was 12 too. I just followed Echo's pics and fiddled until I got it to where I was happy.

If you look at Echo's pics, it's obvious which pieces he used how he put together the limbs and the upper chest vehicles. The hard part is Long Haul, and I'll put up some more pics of him if you want, and I'll be glad to answer questions.

I can tell you everything you need is in the two Devy sets. Also I found that actually assembling Devastator and the individual robots and vehicles as per the instructions informed me on how to proceed with this version of things.
Ok good to know....maybe I'll build the original set first then tear it down and go from there.

Long haul looks like the most confusing.

I know once I start I'll more questions.

Any extra pics would be great.
CBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Here are some pics of how Long Haul is put together. It doesn't look much like a dump truck right now. I take apart the sides to form his chest plate and I pop the roof to allow it to attach to hook. That flat black spot towards the front of the truck is where Hook's bottom settles on to.

Notice how the cab of the truck folds over to form the crotch. The cab is actually kind of floating, only held to the hips by ball joints.

Those purple pieces and the knee caps detach in truck mode.

I lock the front of the cab down with a ball joint and cup attached to this orange piece.

Here's the back. Notice the three ball joint arms. The top two hook onto Hook and the bottom one attaches to Devy's bum... this is what stops the chest from falling apart. Hook just drops into place and sticks on top like normal lego, but these arms are what locks everything down solid.

Well hope this gives you an idea of how to proceed.

Last edited by Sun Swipe Prime; 12-07-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Way to go Sun Swipe Prime, just brilliant to double up on the joints, ingenious!!! Glad you're showing some details too...sorry I havent made instructions I've been super busy with my new Herc kit so I haven't had a chance to get those done.

But back to Sun Swipe, incredible bro so happy to see this evolve...once you get the kreo bug there's no going back!!!
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote