Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
Megatronimus
Beasty
Trying to get back to IDW TF' comics

I haven't picked up an IDW TF book since Beast Wars Gathering, Stormbringer and Infiltration.

What is some suggested TPB's of the IDW books that are worth a read. I heard that The Last Stand of the Wrekers is a very good book, but what about All Hail Megatron?

Also, what the hell happened to Don Figueroa? His art used to be so good, but looking at some preview pages of the ongoing series make me want to barf.

Thanks in advance
Megatronimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:14 AM   #2
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one
Re: Trying to get back to IDW TF' comics

Beast wars,Last stand and Stormbringers were awesome, infiltrations was ok. AHM is pretty good...it feels a little rushed at the end though. I too am soooo disappointed with Dons designs in the G1 ongoing series, it does get better when other artists take over for a while. I have no idea why he would deviate so much from G1 designs for the ongoing series...I like my G1 separate from The Bayverse craptastic designs. The faces alone make me wanna retch....still...its not as bad as the art for the miniseries Galvatron :the heart of Darkness...is has the worst art in the history of any TF comic...and I include online fan fiction. The TPB of the spotlight issues would be good but I don't know if it is in reading order or not...continuity reading order is a bit of a controversy with IDW comics, they released a comic that was supposed to state reading order but most of us don't agree with it, lol.

I really, really miss Dreamwave...DAMN YOU PAT LEE!!!!!
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
Megatronimus
Beasty

Okay, so The Last Stand is a for sure purchase.

All Hail Megatron looks cool, seems like the beginning of IDW TF series was a build up to it.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
General Tekno
Lugnut rules!
Send a message via AIM to General Tekno Send a message via MSN to General Tekno

For Wreckers, I'd honestly suggest you wait a few months. There's a hardcover edition coming out that has a higher page count than the TPB did.

As for Don's work on the ongoing, that's him wanting to try new things. Honestly, I think the faces were the weakest part; Alex Milne used the same complex designs as Don's later in the Ongoing's run, only with more traditional faces, and it looked really really good.

AHM kinda is a mix - it's one of those "shake-up event" comics. It got a bad rap early on because of seeming to disregard a lot, but the second half helps tie it into the previous material, AND some of the key characterizations, like Megatron/Starscream's relationship, are outgrowths of the IDW priorly established ones (still upset at how Costa neutered Starscream's character growth in that Coda spotlight though).

If you want to jump in though, at this point? I'd almost suggest to wait for the next jumping-on point, which would probably be picking up "Death of Optimus Prime" in December, which leads into the two new Ongoing books by James Roberts and John Barber.

Oh, and pick up issues 22 and 23 of the Ongoing. Roberts wrote them, the art is gorgeous, and they're some of the densest reads in comics that you'll see nowadays with the amount of material crammed in there (a lesser writer would decompress all that material over an entire miniseries)
Old 10-03-2011, 12:13 PM   #5
KRM
The Man

Along with everything else mentioned above picking up the Spotlight collections are definitely good reading. It adds a lot of valuable back story to each other the characters and their motivations. That and sometimes being just basic kick ass stories.

Also Maximum Dinobots is just old school style fun.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
GDkitty
Machine War
GDkitty's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix_Holder View Post
still...its not as bad as the art for the miniseries Galvatron :the heart of Darkness...is has the worst art in the history of any TF comic...and I include online fan fiction.
The story was decent.. but I agree... 9/10 of the TF Mosaiac stuff (i read them regularily on deviantart) are better than it.
Continual perspective issues.. consistant shape changes (specialy on the faces).. bad facial expressions.

WANTED: Here are my current wants, mostly ALOT of G1 combiner guys/parts
FOR SALE: Current items and LOTS of parts for sale
TF Collection: My complete list of transformers, ones highlighted are definately up for trade, other may trade depending on what traded for.
GDkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
Vain
Spin Drive Smasher

Last Stand of the Wreckers is a must, hardcover or not.

Ironhide TPB,Drift TPB are fun ones. AHM is a very enjoyable series in general as is on going, though it becomes hit or miss half way through but picks up again.

"They can't beat the Best"

Follow me on Instagram: @Dropdead_Charlie
Game with me on PsN: Dropdead_Charlie

-------------------------------------
Vain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Megatronimus
Beasty

How's the art in AHM? I see that Figueroa, EJ and Milne contributed art.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Nullray
IGC

The ongoing Chaos is kinda cool. The time jump to cybertron kinda ties in with Megatron Origins and hints some Exodus. I am enjoying it so far and may be of interest to you. AHM hardcover is cool. Enjoy a good read.
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #10
Quanza
Generation 1

If your on the fence about buying the trades, I'd recomend seeing if your library has em, or there's the option of downloading CBR's of the issues and buy the stories you like afterwards.
Quanza is offline   Reply With Quote