Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > International Transformers News

Old 04-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #21
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind
Re: Takara Tomy bans third party custom Transformers Products in Japan?

I know I'm in the minority here, but I think it is a step in the right direction. These 3rd party companies are blatently ripping off characters owned by Hasbro/Tomy/tak and making a profit.

If they kept it to add-on's then fine, but full toys? It is getting a bit out of control.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #22
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

i dunno. i think saying hasbro's the only one who can make transforming robot toys is a little much. maybe hasbro/tt needs to talk to the gundam people too?
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #23
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Based on the quality of a lot of the 3rd party items I'm surprised none of them have approached getting an actual license from Hasbro/Takara. Obviously the full-out TF figures would get a resounding "no" but the add-ons are nothing but beautiful accessories that enhance and increase sales of the original toys. "We don't make Transformers. We make Transformers better."
Granted, the licensing would more than likely be a ridiculous fee but it would allow them to go into production on a larger scale and potentially get the items on retail shelves.
Really good point...what I'd like to see TT putting their "lawyer money" towards is a fair, accessible licensing program that capitalizes on all the momentum 3PP is creating...stuff that is greatly adding to the brand but is often, in effect, infringing on copyrights and patents.

I really hope the companies tread lightly around this issue 'cause the only loosers are going to be the fans. As much as I love Has/Tak, they simply aren't cranking out enough product to satisfy the ravenous fan base, IMHO.
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #24
chans formers
raff ow roud

sounds kinda biased,but for myself,i don't really care much for almost every other third party crud being pumped out,save for f/p.
i hope it doesn't affect them too much
Old 04-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
venksta
Render Project Creations

I talked to someone on TFW, who is digging out more info on this from Japan. It seems only the 1 shop so far has received the ban. And among the banned items were Hasbro's DOTM figures! Seems like this is not just about 3rd party figures.

Quote:
Based on the quality of a lot of the 3rd party items I'm surprised none of them have approached getting an actual license from Hasbro/Takara. Obviously the full-out TF figures would get a resounding "no" but the add-ons are nothing but beautiful accessories that enhance and increase sales of the original toys. "We don't make Transformers. We make Transformers better."
Granted, the licensing would more than likely be a ridiculous fee but it would allow them to go into production on a larger scale and potentially get the items on retail shelves.
Surprisingly, some of these groups would rather not work with hasbro.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #26
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Good luck to Takara and Hasbro if they choose to go this route.

I'm on the fence, because on the one hand, I can see things like Masterpiece not-dirge and think "yeah, that's blatently ripping off Hasbro and Takara, they more or less deserve to get sued just for such flagrant disregard of copyright law. Then I see things like the hardhead upgrade, and Fansproject Protector Armour, and while it's still likely copyright infringment, I don't fee as "negatively" about it.

Legally there is no distinction, but like someone else said, good luck prosecuting copyright infringement in China...

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #27
justprime
Animated

Seems to me that Tomy and hasbro should pay attention to what is selling as a third party.... not cheap by price,... quality varies, but there seems to be a need to fill a void (these pieces sell) if they are not up to it than this makes an oppertunity for third party to produce,... all thay need to do is change the names to a non hasbro/tomy trade mark and continue to sell,.... as stated above the stuff from China such as the KO stuff is still around didn't see them jump on the g1 optimus,dino bots etc...........pieces such as the primars was a cool piece and orignal? why kill off a good piece maybe they (hasbr/tomy)should think about working together with these people doing limited runs like the wonderfest pieces? that way the fans don't suffer the loss of some good ideas and get us away from the dam repaints.
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #28
Hellboy
Alternator

Often crackdowns of this nature are not necessarily a result of a particular company worrying about their market share being stolen by counterfeit items but more to do with complaints from other companies that actually pay for proper licensing from the parent company.
Why would anyone pay for a license if the big wigs are just going to turn a blind eye? I'm sure if the numbers were looked at on paper, the potential loss of revenue from licensing is probably greater than the potential loss of revenue due to 3rd party shops.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #29
down_shift
Fortress Maximus

Heh, good luck.

I'll believe it when I see it.
down_shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #30
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Often crackdowns of this nature are not necessarily a result of a particular company worrying about their market share being stolen by counterfeit items but more to do with complaints from other companies that actually pay for proper licensing from the parent company.
Why would anyone pay for a license if the big wigs are just going to turn a blind eye? I'm sure if the numbers were looked at on paper, the potential loss of revenue from licensing is probably greater than the potential loss of revenue due to 3rd party shops.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hasbro/Takara are the ones that make all Transforming Toys, Licensors are only allowed to do certain things, bedsheets, clothing, comic books, videogames, so tell me how the hell does that give them the right to complain about Transformers Fans producing and selling their own accessories to other fans?

Sounds like petty jealousies to me.

That being said, if it was due to this issue, just offer the third party people actual license to make their products, maybe then I could get my hands on a nice new production run Protector, Munitioner, Explorer, 'G3' Trailer and so on and so forth. At a more reasonable price than secondary market pricing currently allows. I wouldn't mind a Shadow Commander either or for that matter Universe Nemesis Prime that isn't a bloody KO.

Tags
fans, hasbro, takara, toys, transformers