Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-30-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
soundwave1976
Machine War
Masterpiece Collection - Which Ones To Get?

I'm looking to complete a modest Masterpiece collection and by modest I mean select favs (which so far means most of the Takara ones, lol). I already have the Hasbro Soundwave w/ 5 minions and I think my 20th DVD Optimus is a good one to stay with I think.

My question really is where do I go with this? I'm definitely already decided on Sideswipe (G1 only), Red Alert, Prowl, Streak, Smokescreen, Wheeljack, Bumblebee, Magnus, Ratbat (don't want Soundblaster) (all Takara versions). But when it comes to Megatron do I go with MP-5? I've heard his scale isn't to the rest after him or something to that effect. As well what about the seekers? Which is better to go with... Hasbro or the Takara versions? I mean if they are pretty much on par with each other then obviously price will be the deciding factor, lol.

And what about the minibots that iGear has done? They're not really in scale with the Masterpieces are they?

In the end I want my Masterpiece collection to look just as cool as my G1 when all is said and done since I've decided to have nothing but TFs as my collection now (aside from my 12" Star Wars collection that is).

Ps... I've already decided on FansToys Dibots and Quakewave (if I can ever find him that. Is, lol)

soundwave1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin
Re: Masterpiece Collection - Which Ones To Get?

MP5 is in scale with 20th OP, so in keeping your OP you are already out of scale with the Lambos and Datsuns.

As for Seekers, Takara Coronation Starscream and Hasbro Thundercracker IMO are the better choices as they are more 'toon/g1 toy accurate.
Takara has the better Sunstorm, Takara and Hasbro released a Skywarp, but under the old mold. So maybe iGears Skywarp would be a better choice.
Acidstorm was a Hasbro only release, but along with Sunstorm, they aren't primary characters and you may not want them anyways.

Last edited by razin; 07-30-2014 at 08:07 PM.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

I'm not sure modest would be quite accurate given all your wants because you almost covered them all. Megatron is no where near the scale of what currently comes out, but he was designed well before. As for the seekers it depends on what you like. Take a look for comparison shots between companies and characters. Where do you go with it? It's up to you, everyone has their own tastes of what they want. Check the masterpiece speculation and appreciation thread. It may help as well. that's my nickel sicne pennies are gone
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
soundwave1976
Machine War

So to really stay within a decent scale base with all the rest I should hunt down MP-10 and wait for a possible new Megatron then?

As for the seekers I only want to stay with the main 3. Are the Hasbro versions to scale with MP-10 and forward? Sounds like anything before MP-10 is out of scale, am I right?
soundwave1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
elburrito
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave1976 View Post
So to really stay within a decent scale base with all the rest I should hunt down MP-10 and wait for a possible new Megatron then?

As for the seekers I only want to stay with the main 3. Are the Hasbro versions to scale with MP-10 and forward? Sounds like anything before MP-10 is out of scale, am I right?
arguments could be made that MP08 and MP09 are in scale, but I agree with you, MP10 on

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
Rev
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundwave1976 View Post

That sounds like a good plan. I too have MP 1 and I have to keep him separate since he looks funny. I need to track down MP10.

The Hasbro seekers are the same mold as Takara, however different decos may occur. If you mean are pre-MP 10 seekers to scale? yes, they are. The seekers and Rodimus are to scale with MP10 and forward.

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=54872

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=51729

Last edited by Rev; 07-30-2014 at 04:51 PM.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #7
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

I think MP10 and MP11 are the cream of the crop. The car MPs are nice too. Anything pre-MP10 is passable IMO.

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #8
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

There's a thin line between modest and completist (looking at Sureshot22) Trust me, I've travelled that line and crossed it already. It's hard to resist these awesome toys. Looks like you pretty much named off every in scale MP on your want list.

Be prepared to pay a ridiculous amount for MP Ratbat alone. He's consistently selling for $60+ for months now. Might as well get the whole set and recover some of your costs by selling off Soundblaster and the other red accessories.

For Seekers there are two moulds, MP-3 and MP-11. I personally like aspects of both. Skywarp is currently only available in the MP-3 mould. MP-11 is the newer mould.

This site shows you all the MPs.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #9
Cronosabre
Machine War

If you are interested in 3rd party stand ins, particularly for the minibots then you may want to check this thread out:

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=54872

I am currently using Cubex Huff, iGear Hench Comic Colour, iGear Cogz, X-Transbots Stax, Artfeather Bee, FT Scoria and FT Quakewave.

I really like Huff although some people have gotten QC issues with him, I was pretty lucky QC wise with mine and I sealed his blue paint with some Future floor polish (The paint will peel for sure if you don't do something), although there was some peeling on one of his front thighs before I could get it, but I can live with it until I get around to repainting the thighs.

I also like both Hench and Cogz and think they look good with my MP bots, particularly in robot mode, vehicle mode not quite as much. Since MP Bumblebee is coming out you may as well skip the Artfeather Bee, but I still like mine, I think that his vehicle mode looks much better than his robot mode though. Some people are also using Toy World BII as a stand in for bumblebee, he has a bit more of a cartoony look to him, so it just depends on what you are going for.

I had Pipes as a kid so I was really happy to get X-Transbots' version in MP size and FT's Quakewave and Scoria are just amazing. Some people think that FT's Dinos are too small and are waiting for Giga's versions but for me they are perfect for my display.

Oh, I'm also using the FP deluxe Insecticons and PE scouting force in my display. I like the updated designs and the fact that they are much smaller, but this definitely isn't a purest route.
Cronosabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
Sureshot22
look behind you. tee hee
Sureshot22's Ebay Auctions

Lol picking on me but ya I have every single mp except for the crappy black rodimus which I have zero interest in since that mold sucked. Also mp megatron I would wait for a new one since the original was complete shit imo.
He is the only mp I had on display then after only a few weeks I said "this looks like ass" and back in his box he went never to be seen again.

PSN ID: SURESHOT22

FEEDBACK THREAD http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=9366
Sureshot22 is offline   Reply With Quote