Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 10-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #1
zackmak
Robot Master
Does the idea of 'exclusive' have any appeal anymore?

I used to get excited in tracking down/owning something that was 'exclusive' (to a store, convention, location, etc.). Basically, I would say something like:

"Wow, I own something ONLY available at Target and no where else!!"

or

"Only a few people (in relation to the entire TF collector world) have the chance to attend TFcon, and I'm lucky enough to be here and buy its exclusive!"

There was a unique satisfaction in obtaining one because of the levels of difficulty/rarity/luck involved in being able to go to that store/event. Not every collector had the same opportunity or 'playing field', if you will.

But that good feeling came if I PERSONALLY attended the store/event.

Fifteen-Twenty years ago, that was the primary method. And there were fewer conventions around too. And I would even go as far as saying that if I somehow obtained an exclusive without attending the store/event, THAT was also special simply because it meant I had extreme luck in finding it in a world where there were not a lot of avenues for purchasing from 3rd parties.

And arguably, having something 'exclusive' automatically increased the value and selling point.

But with anything and everything being available online the last couple decades - where ANYONE can buy the same item from a 3rd party or even the 1st party - the 'exclusive' term attached to an item means nothing from a 'value' perspective. It's no different than saying 'available only at'. And one could rightfully argue that is what it always meant...yes, but the 'appeal' of owing something with the term 'exclusive' has been watered down for me considerably. EVEN if I purchased the item at the actual exclusive location (and there's still that excitement of being there to personally buy it myself, mind you), just knowing that anyone across the world can buy the same item with ease, makes the purchased item less 'WOW'.

With the term 'exclusive', it automatically denotes 'limited number', too, of course, whether it's publicly/physically noted or not. And strangely, I find that something 'limited' has more weight behind it. But ONLY if that number is small or relatively small in the grand scheme of things, AND that number is marked on the package. Having something say 'Limited Edition' or if there is the belief the limited number is something ridiculously high, means nothing to me.

In the end, I know we are dealing with wording/terms that have variable effects on different people, and each person can play it 'up' or 'down' to their liking.

Any thoughts from others?

Last edited by zackmak; 10-14-2016 at 05:11 AM.
zackmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
79transam
Machine War
Re: Does the idea of 'exclusive' have any appeal anymore?

I like finding variant cover comics. It's the only kind of brick and mortar exclusive (except finding Marvel Legends Punisher at EB Games I seem to find.
Being in the North, just having an MP collection is pretty exclusive. I've never met anyone locally who even knows what they are without me showing them. People always tell me they had the same Optimus Prime (MP10) when they were a kid. And I say, no you didn't.

The exclusive I would love to get is the half clear MMC Sphinx
79transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
elburrito
Animated

I equate "exclusive" to "costs more". There is nothing else that appears to differentiate these items. As the OP noted, a TRU exclusive is not, in fact, exclusive to TRU.

A recent example is the MP11 Skywarp. Asia Exclusive that it is doesn't make it more difficult to get hold of one, just about 2x the price.

Edit: perhaps the marketing industry can come up with a new term to make us salivate.

Sale & Trade

Last edited by elburrito; 10-13-2016 at 05:56 PM.
elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Very good points here...for me personally, I feel a bit "burned" by some recent exclusives and that has turned me off them to some extent...examples:

-SDCC "exclusives" that show up "nearly identical" at mass retail (FOC Bruticus, AOE Dinobots, etc)
-Con exclusives that show up after with a similar or even better release, I.e. Toyworld Devilstar which got a cheaper release with an even better headsculpt, and even the metal track parts were no longer exclusive
-releases that really should be mainstream...take TR Brainstorm for example...after the Generations one failed to get proper distribution, shouldn't this just be a regular release? I mean I get it, everyone needs to make money buy really?

I accept all of the above and don't intend to create a huge rant, but I do find it a turn off and it affects my loyalty and engagement--if the goal is to make more money, moves like this definitely make me want to spend less or simply wait.
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
Shepp
Maverick Hunter
Shepp's Ebay Auctions

I hate exclusives, with a passion. Possibly more so than blind-box products.

I think it's because they're doing it the wrong way. They're taking things that should be mass retail and making a short run of them to offer in a select way.

Instead, they should be making unique repaints like they did with Fox Kids did from Beast Wars. Or specially themed ones that commemorate where they're coming from/what they're for.

Look at the giant mess that will be Titans Return Deluxe Brainstorm.

Or the frustration around Metroplex's red gun. They took something away that was part of the figure's design and held it for ransom as an exclusive.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:01 PM   #6
Oreobuilder
Cybertron

Agreed. Exclusive = more expensive. If I want something for my collection, what do I care if there are 500 made or 500 000? That does not make me enjoy it more. In fact, the opposite may be true, since I feel wrong opening it and playing around with it.

OB
Oreobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #7
TRUCKvsGUN

I like exclusives. I see them as opportunities to get redecos that we might otherwise not be able to, be it due to insufficient interest for mass release, or other reasons (like the HA Target Leadfoot). Getting your hands on them can be more expensive, but hey, you're not just paying more for the exclusivity; sometimes you're paying more to get something that might not otherwise exist.

It's the rare time it's more than a redeco that the exclusive process really sucks, like Generations and TR Brainstorm. Not getting the mold at all sucks, but I don't feel as bad about TR Brainstorm because he's still just a retool of a figure I already own and bought on sale.

Contact me if you have for sale:
Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-Up Universe Book
Botcon 2006 Dawn of Futures Past Boxed Set
MP-01 Matrix
POTP Onyx Prime

Last edited by TRUCKvsGUN; 10-13-2016 at 08:14 PM.
TRUCKvsGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:38 PM   #8
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon

TFSource is still selling TFCon exclusives Columpio and Cubrar from 2-3 years ago. It's not like they're hard to get.
Sir Prime A Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
Dynamo.Dave
Too close for missiles

Exclusives for me are only worth the price if you have a story around them.

I don't have much interest generally in the Botcon sets, mostly because I never went to Botcon. Had I done though, I definitely would be invested in getting the exclusive of the year that I went.

TFCon exclusives for me are good since I go to TFCon. Do I care that FP Volar has a Blue chest instead of a red one? Not really.

TRU 'exclusives' - don't care.

Sparktoys Grimlock
FT Stunticons
FT Aerialbots

Dynamo.Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:47 PM   #10
Gumby
Beasty

I've no problem with exclusives but I do agree with zackmack that the "exclusivity" of "exclusive(s)" has become null and void. Why get hyped for an exclusive Hasbro item from SDCC when you can wait a few months and get the exact same thing at FanExpo?
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote