Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #21
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!
Re: NES emulator mini-console w/ 30 games

There's a Wii mini? Man I'm out of the loop
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #22
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
There's a Wii mini? Man I'm out of the loop
Yeah, but it sucked. Take the Wii, remove WiFi, remove Gamecube support, remove Virtual Console, remove the external storage, remove the USB port, remove Component/S-Video output, and you get the Wii Mini.

-----

Back on topic of the NES Classic Edition: I'd had hoped that it'd be cheaper ($50-60 CDN rather than the $80-90CDN). The use of Wii Classic Controller ports for the controllers is nice, though, and I can see myself buying at least just one of the standalone controllers just for kicks.

The game selection is hit or miss. Lots of good classics there, but there's obviously a bunch that I don't care for. I personally would've wanted to see all 3 Ninja Gaiden and all 6 Megaman games in there.

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #23
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
This thing is so not worth it. A few of the earliest Mario/Zelda games and a bunch of arcade crap. Plus games I've never heard of, let alone played. And all this "quality" for $80 plus tax. Fuck that. Call me when they get third party titles and it's an emulator box with downloadable games. And costs $40.
Third party games:
- BUBBLE BOBBLE
- Castlevania™
- Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
- DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
- FINAL FANTASY®
- Galaga™
- GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
- GRADIUS™
- MEGA MAN® 2
- NINJA GAIDEN
- PAC-MAN™
- SUPER C™
- TECMO BOWL

Name one of these that isn't amazing. And which games haven't you heard of? They've all sold millions of copies.
Sir Prime A Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #24
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
This thing is so not worth it. A few of the earliest Mario/Zelda games and a bunch of arcade crap. Plus games I've never heard of, let alone played. And all this "quality" for $80 plus tax. Fuck that. Call me when they get third party titles and it's an emulator box with downloadable games. And costs $40.
I guess it's for people like me whose parents, back in the day, could not afford the $50+ for a game. Thus not able to have played some of the early classics.

Many of my games were $20-$50, mostly around clearance or Christmas sales. Very few exceeded $50.

Now that I'm a grown up and wouldn't mind the "classic" experience, I don't want to buy $5 a game at a used game store (or flea market) for my system as it's not always working properly.

I haven't played two thirds of the games listed. If it did, I wouldn't consider it.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:17 PM   #25
MULTIPLEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomGundam View Post
Yeah, but it sucked. Take the Wii, remove WiFi, remove Gamecube support, remove Virtual Console, remove the external storage, remove the USB port, remove Component/S-Video output, and you get the Wii Mini.

-----

Back on topic of the NES Classic Edition: I'd had hoped that it'd be cheaper ($50-60 CDN rather than the $80-90CDN). The use of Wii Classic Controller ports for the controllers is nice, though, and I can see myself buying at least just one of the standalone controllers just for kicks.

The game selection is hit or miss. Lots of good classics there, but there's obviously a bunch that I don't care for. I personally would've wanted to see all 3 Ninja Gaiden and all 6 Megaman games in there.
So if the Wii mini was unhackable, then this might have the same guts. But this just seems to be an emulator packaged in a retro container.

Does anybody have any info where this will be available here in Canada?
Old 07-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #26
MULTIPLEX

First Nintendo, now SEGA...

SEGA Genesis mini console
Old 07-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #27
lars573
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post
I guess it's for people like me whose parents, back in the day, could not afford the $50+ for a game. Thus not able to have played some of the early classics.

Many of my games were $20-$50, mostly around clearance or Christmas sales. Very few exceeded $50.

Now that I'm a grown up and wouldn't mind the "classic" experience, I don't want to buy $5 a game at a used game store (or flea market) for my system as it's not always working properly.

I haven't played two thirds of the games listed. If it did, I wouldn't consider it.
But that was me. And I didn't get a NES till around 1990 (I was 9). I have near zero attachment to NES era games. And indeed most of them don't hold up at all.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #28
Pascal
Banned

I was still playing with my old NES until it died recently. Mario 1-2-3, Tetris, Adventures of Lolo... I've never played on any other console in my entire life, except maybe 5 minutes on my brother's N64 (a Star Wars game I think) and maybe another 5 on my brother's X-Box. I may get one.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #29
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Quote:

Funny you should bring that up. I just came across this article about that unit too and it's not very flattering.

Updated plug & play Sega Genesis console can’t compete with NES Classic Edition

TL, DR: the Genesis emulator only hooks up with composite cables so it looks and sounds like shit in comparison and the controllers are based on infrared technology which means the controller has to be within line of sight of the receiver = laggy control response, especially as the batteries start to die. Are you kidding me? In the modern age of wi-fi, bluetooth, NFC, and other wireless technologies, why the hell would they revert back to IR, let alone only hook up with RCA jacks?!? It's 2016, man! I get that they want to bring some nostalgia of their own to the table, but they could've left the limitations of dated tech behind too.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:23 PM   #30
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:

They've been making versions of that for a few years, picked one up from Bed Bath and Beyond last year. Graphics are ok but the sound is pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigimus View Post
Funny you should bring that up. I just came across this article about that unit too and it's not very flattering.

Updated plug & play Sega Genesis console can’t compete with NES Classic Edition

TL, DR: the Genesis emulator only hooks up with composite cables so it looks and sounds like shit in comparison and the controllers are based on infrared technology which means the controller has to be within line of sight of the receiver = laggy control response, especially as the batteries start to die. Are you kidding me? In the modern age of wi-fi, bluetooth, NFC, and other wireless technologies, why the hell would they revert back to IR, let alone only hook up with RCA jacks?!? It's 2016, man! I get that they want to bring some nostalgia of their own to the table, but they could've left the limitations of dated tech behind too.
Yeah that would be great but that would take effort and money and I'm guessing they're not going to try either.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772

Last edited by Tekkamanraiden; 08-03-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote