Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews > Transformers Video Reviews

Old 06-25-2016, 05:21 AM   #1
WereDragon EX
Robot Master
Unite Warriors Bruticus review

Here's a video review of the Unite Warriors Bruticus boxset that was just released in Japan today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO_EtAz3zOw The review itself is in Japanese, but it does feature a look at Takara's version of Blast Off, which I'm sure will pique the interests of a few people.

Edit: And here's the second part of the review, focusing on the Bruticus combination proper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yuJp524E9Y

Last edited by WereDragon EX; 06-26-2016 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Adding link to second part of review
WereDragon EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
Chigimus
Masterpiece
Re: Unite Warriors Bruticus review

Great set, looking forward to it. I think my only criticism of it is against Vortex. As much as I appreciate the toon color accuracy over the toy colored offering that Hasbro made, I feel like he's lacking paint apps or something and could've used a 3rd splash of color just to break up the grey a little more.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Well not that I could understand a word of it but looked interesting. I wonder in PE would do a hand/foot set on it. I did like that he tried the Ruination combination and how badly Brawl appeared as a limb. Thanks for sharing though
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #4
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

I'll have to watch this when I get back to Canada after my flight, cannot wait to see it in action.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #5
RaidenisOP
Plastic Spark

I really dig the idea of a proper g1 accurate bruticus... but that blast off looks like junk to me. There are things I really like about it, but the shuttle mode looks home-made, and the giant chest throw me off. That being said they look good combined and I really dig his head sculpt. The Hasbro version would have been passible with a new head

Feedback Thread
RaidenisOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:33 PM   #6
xueyue2
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenisOP View Post
I really dig the idea of a proper g1 accurate bruticus... but that blast off looks like junk to me. There are things I really like about it, but the shuttle mode looks home-made, and the giant chest throw me off. That being said they look good combined and I really dig his head sculpt. The Hasbro version would have been passible with a new head
Just remember, Blast Off's is the only mode that's not being shared in CW wars' limbs....that count as something, right?

sell/trade/wanted thread
feedback

xueyue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #7
RaidenisOP
Plastic Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyue2 View Post
Just remember, Blast Off's is the only mode that's not being shared in CW wars' limbs....that count as something, right?
True though the UW version of strafe is a retool, with the giant chest piece becoming a backpack. Don't get me wrong I'll probably still buy it if it ever sells on it's own like Groove but I personally think Takara could have done a better job.

Feedback Thread
Old 06-26-2016, 10:26 PM   #8
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Not exactly the right thread but AE just sent confirmation that he is on the way. Now lets see what happens with CP
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:26 PM   #9
WereDragon EX
Robot Master

While I like that Takara wants G1 accuracy by creating a shuttle Blast Off, I can't help but feel that it's not a well-done figure. The shuttle mode looks too wide and flat to me, making it seem horribly deformed. The fact that the cockpit is so wide makes for a pretty big chestpiece in robot mode and a wide knee in combiner leg mode, which I find to be an eyesore. I also don't like the thrusters on Blast Off's robot mode feet. Blast Off also has a pretty dinky gun for a hand weapon. I do think he looks fine as a combiner arm, since the wide cockpit isn't seen head-on, unlike in the figure's other modes. I do, however, like the fact that Blast Off can do Rook's "hulk hands" trick and still be able to hold hand weapons normally, by virtue of having both forward facing and "normal" 5mm ports in his hands.

It does, then seem somewhat baffling to me that a figure which made for such a bad Blast Off, makes a pretty good Strafe when retooled. The figure really shines as Strafe in both robot and vehicle modes, which makes me think that Strafe was designed first and Blast Off was conceptualized to get another use out of the mold (which is not farfetched considering how much effort Takara is putting into Computron, compared to their past Unite Warriors sets). I passed on the Unite Warriors Bruticus given that I thought Blast Off was fine as a jet (wished they used Fireflight's head rather than Slingshot's though), and I didn't like the Takara Blast Off. In that sense, I guess my only interest here was to see the figure's base engineering so I have an idea of what to expect for Strafe (which I will be getting). In all though, I don't think the figure itself is bad, just that it doesn't work as Blast Off.
WereDragon EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:15 AM   #10
RaidenisOP
Plastic Spark

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereDragon EX View Post
While I like that Takara wants G1 accuracy by creating a shuttle Blast Off, I can't help but feel that it's not a well-done figure. The shuttle mode looks too wide and flat to me, making it seem horribly deformed. The fact that the cockpit is so wide makes for a pretty big chestpiece in robot mode and a wide knee in combiner leg mode, which I find to be an eyesore. I also don't like the thrusters on Blast Off's robot mode feet. Blast Off also has a pretty dinky gun for a hand weapon. I do think he looks fine as a combiner arm, since the wide cockpit isn't seen head-on, unlike in the figure's other modes. I do, however, like the fact that Blast Off can do Rook's "hulk hands" trick and still be able to hold hand weapons normally, by virtue of having both forward facing and "normal" 5mm ports in his hands.

It does, then seem somewhat baffling to me that a figure which made for such a bad Blast Off, makes a pretty good Strafe when retooled. The figure really shines as Strafe in both robot and vehicle modes, which makes me think that Strafe was designed first and Blast Off was conceptualized to get another use out of the mold (which is not farfetched considering how much effort Takara is putting into Computron, compared to their past Unite Warriors sets). I passed on the Unite Warriors Bruticus given that I thought Blast Off was fine as a jet (wished they used Fireflight's head rather than Slingshot's though), and I didn't like the Takara Blast Off. In that sense, I guess my only interest here was to see the figure's base engineering so I have an idea of what to expect for Strafe (which I will be getting). In all though, I don't think the figure itself is bad, just that it doesn't work as Blast Off.
A much better articulated version of my thoughts. Thanks WereDragon! I think the biggest bonus to Strafe is that that giant chest is actually the backpack on Strafe.

Feedback Thread