Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2
Toy Shelf Horror Stories

So, last night I was changing the pose on my toy (non TF toy: Kamen Rider S.H. Figuarts Trial) on the high shelf (3' high) to a slightly more dynamic pose. Hours later I was awoken to a loud *bang* and that toy ($80) as it fell, took with it another of its kind ($80 Figuarts Joker) and crashed into a third toy ($40 D-Arts Mega Man X Zero) sitting on the table below knocking its entire right arm off. $200 in damages.

The two Kamen Rider toys are super limited editions. One of the Kamen Rider toys and Zero have accepted damage and fortunately both in the hand area. The other Kamen Rider toy is one of my favs and landed on its head chipping and cracking the paint, and the body is a bit scratched up to boot. Replacing it is going to be tough and really expensive.

I was sure the pose on Trial was solid and the change to the pose was really minor. Lesson learned to double check, even though I do, except this one time. FML. FML for collecting expensive Japanese toys and only having room for them on the high shelf.

First time ever having a toy casuality.

Anyone else have a story to share?

Last edited by ConvoyGTR; 09-09-2011 at 07:38 PM.
ConvoyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
bedtime
Nexus Maximus
Re: Toy Shelf Horror Stories

the only time my toys seem to fall over is when my fiancee is near/at my computer desk. the stuff i keep on the desk seems to be INVISIBLE to her or something as shes always knocking them over.

i'm @bedtime_ on twitter.
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
TMIIWonkoNemises
Animated
Send a message via Skype™ to TMIIWonkoNemises

Robot Replicas Megatron never stands up...every day I have to make sure he does,only to fall minutes later.I gave that up a year ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky Tango Foxtrot View Post
My anus is certainly not a secret toys garden, and I'm deeply offended by the insinuation!
TMIIWonkoNemises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

Every time I stand up an expensive toy (or something in a crowd that includes expensive toys), I always do my "poke test": I'll poke it from all 4 directions so that the head (or uppermost part) tilts about 5-10mm. If it bounces back to a center with no rocking motions on all 4 directions, it's a good enough pose for me.

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:17 AM   #5
Commandoclone87
Seeker

^ ^

If I change a pose, I find the best way for me is to give the shelf a slight shake and see if their is any wobbling. Then correct posing as needed.

As for our little shelf horror was my brother's TM Ramulus falling off the top of the bookcase while we were gone and the dog deciding he wanted some lambchops.

Never got around to finding another Ramulus though.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:05 AM   #6
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomGundam View Post
Every time I stand up an expensive toy (or something in a crowd that includes expensive toys), I always do my "poke test": I'll poke it from all 4 directions so that the head (or uppermost part) tilts about 5-10mm. If it bounces back to a center with no rocking motions on all 4 directions, it's a good enough pose for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandoclone87 View Post
^ ^

If I change a pose, I find the best way for me is to give the shelf a slight shake and see if their is any wobbling. Then correct posing as needed.
Actually, when I said I "double check" the pose, I neglected to elaborate and say I do a "test" as well and is also similar to commandoclone87, but I give the shelf 3-5 hard slaps to see if anything moves because it's so high on the shelf. But this time around, the fig was in a "about to run" pose and has been for weeks and I altered it by 1-2 degrees to make it look a bit more dynamic and was lazy and didn't think I needed to "double check" again with the shelf slaps. This was done a short time before I went to bed.

And between the time when the pose was changed to when the toy fell was about 4 hrs.

I should elaborate a bit on what a S.H. Figuarts is. They are highly poseable plastic humanoid toys, almost 6" (basically Deluxe size), with diecast feet and because of that, they are highly stable toys with a low center of gravity. In a neutral pose, you can give it a fairly good poke and it will rock back and forth for a bit, but with not fall over. And you can also get away with some pretty extreme poses without the assistance of a stand.

Here is an example: http://plutonianrevolver.files.wordp...pg?w=640&h=853

Note: I don't do those kinds of poses without a stand. And the toy that fell had both its feet fully planted.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:15 AM   #7
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

I do the poke test too. But maybe you didn't do anything wrong. Conspiracy ramble here. Maybe something like really big bug nudged it enought to knock it over. With the hot weather and open windows, I've had two instances of spiders the size of, I kid you not, a legends figure craw inside my place. Maybe if one made its way onto your shelf, it could have thrown a figure off balance and crash.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
Mega-Prime 316
Cybertron

Back about 15 yeas ago I bought and built a Star Trek Enterprise model that had fiber optics running through various parts and there was also lighting throughout the sensor dish and warp nacels. It took me quite sometime to build this and it was "crown jewel" of my model shelf. About a week after completion I was showing it off to my GF at the time and I returned it back to the shelf and turned to walk away when I heard it begin to slide off the shelf! I attempted to catch it but it crashed to the floor and broke into 4 peices!! I never did try to re-do the lighting just picked it up and made a regular model out of it.
Mega-Prime 316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
Commandoclone87
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
I do the poke test too. But maybe you didn't do anything wrong. Conspiracy ramble here. Maybe something like really big bug nudged it enought to knock it over. With the hot weather and open windows, I've had two instances of spiders the size of, I kid you not, a legends figure craw inside my place. Maybe if one made its way onto your shelf, it could have thrown a figure off balance and crash.
Damn, those things give me the creeps. It's bad enough the barn spiders in our shed can get to be 2 inches long, but the though of them crawling inside the house and hiding among my TF collection is giving me nightmares.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandoclone87 View Post
Damn, those things give me the creeps. It's bad enough the barn spiders in our shed can get to be 2 inches long, but the though of them crawling inside the house and hiding among my TF collection is giving me nightmares.
Don't read the rest of this and the next paragraph if you're not up for bit of a shiver. A few years back, I woke up with one of those things on my chest. Crazy snoopy dance on the bed followed by a matrix leap across the room.

But finally found a use for those empty 100 pack DVD spool covers. Trap the f@cker under one of those and slide a piece of cardboard underneath. Easy no touch way to get rid of the bugger.

Now back on topic. Just remembered one time I'm moving stuff around on a high wall shelf, bunch of figures on a short book shelf below. For some reason turn my head and throw myself off balance. Double windmill arms, slowing me down just enough for the thought 'FRAK This is going to REALLY hurt" to pass through through my mind as I pull the whole top shelf down and land backwards on the short bookshelf, taking that down too. End result, me lying on the floor between a couch and tilted over bookshelf like a fallen King Kong, surprisingly unhurt and in no pain, covered in transformers. Astonishingly, no transformers were hurt in the falling of this clutz.