Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
Mumps
Canadian Slag
Need a new smart phone...

Well, my cellphone has been dead for more than a month now, and since I am locked into a contract I am forced to pay for something I can't use, and Rogers "handset replacement guarentee" is bullshit.

So... what would you all say is a good phone? I would prefer Android, and I don't want the iPhone.

I was going to get the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate when Rogers released it, however it was supposed to be released in August, then Sept, then Oct, and now Rogers people are saying "November if we're lucky". By the time Canada gets this phone, it'll be the most outdated phone on the market! That and I can't keep paying for Data that I am not using.
Mumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
pud333
Animated
Re: Need a new smart phone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
Well, my cellphone has been dead for more than a month now, and since I am locked into a contract I am forced to pay for something I can't use, and Rogers "handset replacement guarentee" is bullshit.
Care to elaborate? Their commercials seem to imply it's a decent guarantee. (Though I've always had my suspicions. I used to be a warranty co-ordinator and it's rarely ever so simple).

As for a smart phone, I asked a similar thing a while back but it was just between a blackberry and iphone4. I ultimately got the iphone4 because I talked to my tech team at work and they said it was not possible for me to sych a BB to our system due to them simply not allowing it. The whole point of me getting a BB was so I could synch my calendar. So that killed it for me. However, I am very happy with my iphone. Everything else I have is Apple, so ultimately it made sense to just keep it simple and go with another Apple product.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
CyberMnky
Animated

At the very least you can scale your service plan back to next to nothing - thats what I did with my old Rogers phone to wait out the contract. $10 a month, 15 minutes - I gave it to my brother as an emergency contact.

As for a new one, I only know the blackberries personally but I've handled a few iphones.
What do you ant to use your phone for? might help us get a better idea as to what u want.

If you are reading this then you must be bored...

CyberMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Mumps
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
Care to elaborate? Their commercials seem to imply it's a decent guarantee. (Though I've always had my suspicions. I used to be a warranty co-ordinator and it's rarely ever so simple).
Well, when I called they said that I could ONLY replace my phone (the HTC Dream) with the HTC Magic+ for a discounted price of $450... That and they said that every day the availability of whatever phone you can choose changes. The handset replacement bullshit is just a discounted price on whatever phone they decide they have too many of.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Mumps
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMnky View Post
At the very least you can scale your service plan back to next to nothing - thats what I did with my old Rogers phone to wait out the contract. $10 a month, 15 minutes - I gave it to my brother as an emergency contact.

As for a new one, I only know the blackberries personally but I've handled a few iphones.
What do you ant to use your phone for? might help us get a better idea as to what u want.
Unfortunately I have an awesome data plan (6GB for $30/mo) so if I scale back I won't be able to get it back when I do get a better phone..

I would also lose that plan if I switched to Blackberry. I have really grown fond of Android so I would like to stick with that platform. I use my phone mostly for internet surfing and maps/gps. I know the iPhone can do that very well, but the only reason I have to get that over an android would be to download podcasts right on my device instead of waiting till I am at home.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
pud333
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
The handset replacement bullshit is just a discounted price on whatever phone they decide they have too many of.
That's not replacing the phone. That's you having to buy a new one. WTF?

At any rate, if you like android, stick with an android phone. I have come to love my iphone and I find it indispensible.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
bedtime
Nexus Maximus

my fiancee just picked up some motorola android phone and its pretty sweet if you ask me... this is it here:

http://www.motorola.com/consumers/US...006d06b10aRCRD
bedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:13 AM   #8
Sokar
Armada

Get an iPhone and then just jailbreak it to install the android os. Also, then you can hack your ps3
Old 10-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Team Jetfire
More zero's in the behind

I know you don't really want a Iphone, but I really love mine.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
Mumps
Canadian Slag

I am going to be giving the Android platform another year of my time before I switch to Apple. My Hardware Upgrade will be available to me in June of next year, and by then I am sure a newer/better iPhone will be out, and I will use my upgrade on that.

However, I have good news! The Samsung Captivate that I mentioned in my first post MIGHT be released next week! At least according to this place; http://redboard.rogers.com/2010/sams...s-mid-october/
See the update on the bottom of the post.

If the Captivate isn't here by next week, I may just cave into the evil world of Apple, because this Motorolla V190 just does NOT cut it!