Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 06-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #121
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus
Re: (SPOILERS ALLOWED) Transformers RoTF Your Reviews

Wow, a lot of naysayers and nitpickers. I just thought I should point out one very important thing. The fans want a live action version of G1. Well guess what, that's exactly what you got.

G1: Transformers appearing with no real introductions just to sell toys.
S3: Characters dieing, characters who died in the movie IE Insecticons, Coneheads, returning to life with no explanations.
86' Movie: Optimus Prime sacrifices himself to stop Megatron, kids cried is optional.
G1: Doomsday plot of the week with Megatron enacting some plot to gather more Energon.
G1: Energon.
G1: Soundwave.
G1: Quote from Jazz for humor style comparison. "Into the Ocean let's be daring, last one in is a rusty herring." (God I love that line.)

The Movieverse: More robots, brand new Transformers appearing with no mention of who they are, why they're there, what they're function is etc. Go buy the toy now and find out all about him by reading his bio.
The Movieverse: Characters die and are resurrected without any real explanation, Scorponok is back, is that Blackout or his cousin Grindor? Bonecrusher and Barricade?
The Movieverse S3 Style Extra Bonus: Constructicons can be in two places at once, as Devastator and as individual bots. Oh look Superion is running around and, wait there's Fireflight. Bruticus, Swindle and Onslaught are all with Galvatron at the same time trying to get those funky crystals from the alien planet. How is that possible?
The Movieverse: Doomsday plot of the week with added bonus of Sam being like Buster from Marvel G1 comics, he's the AllSpark! How cool is that? Awesome. (Note this is partially sarcastic, but also I think it's cool personally.)
The Movieverse: Energon.
The Movieverse: Soundwave done by Frank Welker as he originally did it, but whoops Bay forgot the digital mangling of the voice to make him sound exactly like in G1. Who cares, if you recall Dr. Claw is the voice of Soundwave, remember from the episode when they captured Chip Chase and Soundwave says "Excellent Ravage" in Dr. Claw's voice. Whoops they forgot about that too back in the day. *Shakes Head*
The Movieverse: Quoting at this time impossible. Fellow fans who can remember a one liner in the vein of the G1 Jazz quote please help me out here.

So, for anyone who complains guess what you got exactly what you asked for, hell they even killed Jetfire just like in Fire in the Sky, well he didn't sacrifice himself to stop the freezing of the Earth's core due to Energon drain. But you get the point, I expect he'll somehow be back in TF3 with no explanation just like they dug him back out of the ice in Fire on the Mountain.

The fact that the writers and Bay possibly too add more toilet brand humor is just a sign of the times, at least it's slightly bette then when Optimus Prime had to fight Lord Chumley the whacked out nutball of a big game hunter who wanted his head. And who somehow had things like a two headed dragon captured on his island. LOL
Old 06-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #122
Batman
The Dark Knight

I saw it, I liked it, but did not love it. I'm going to see it a second time in a couple weeks with some of my friends but after that I won't be watching it again until the DVD comes out. I really enjoyed the first half, but the second just dragged on and on. Pretty much everything I feel has been said. The characterization bothers me more than anything. If Megatron was scheming behind the Fallen's back to get the power of the Matrix and the sun to make Energon for himself, I would have enjoyed that, but for him to be such a coward was way out of character. Then on the other side for Prime to blindly kill so many robots also seemed out of character, after all Wheelie and Jetfire were both decepticons and both of them saved Prime's life and were pivotal in stopping the fallen. I'm not saying he had to be like Batman and not kill anyone, but he was really brutal and take no prisoners.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #123
chans formers
raff ow roud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokar View Post

They did show jolt's robot mode. twice actually. The first time was at the military base when they brought back prime's body and the military surrounded the autobots. The second time was when Jolt helped 'install' jetfire's parts onto prime. Ratchet actually refered to him as 'jolt' IIRC

It's very brief so it's easy to miss, but Jolt definitely looked freaking awesome

Also, maybe I missed it, but after the fight with devestator did we ever see skids or mudflap again?
ok,now i remember his brief bot mode.he had the "whip things" that latched onto and energized prime right?i'm still sad that jetfire died and turned into a coat for prime
Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #124
Wodicus
Beasty

Well I saw the movie last night and I loved it. I thought the fact they gave the robots a bigger presence then the first movie was great. I really loved how Megatron and Starscream got some real interaction. I think the Fallen could of gotten more screen time, but at the same time I think they did a great job on the screen time he did get. I liked all of the random Decepticons that were there for cannon fodder was really cool. Now I really didn't like how 4 of the Autobots sort of vanished, such as Skids and Mudflap as well as Arcee and Chromia. The first two just vanish and the last two get shot and no one confirms their fate. I am one who does not subscribe to the if shot they are dead until proven otherwise theory.

The battle at the end is something I have always wanted to see, though I'll admit, more Autobot involvement would of been nice rather then providing covering fire for tanks. However, that is a small issue, I rather enjoyed it. Overall I think it was a great movie and anyone who bashes it is looking for an intellectual arty film rather then an enjoyable summer sci-fi action film based areound giant transforming robots.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #125
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodicus View Post
Overall I think it was a great movie and anyone who bashes it is looking for an intellectual arty film rather then an enjoyable summer sci-fi action film based areound giant transforming robots.
I keep hearing this argument from people who loved the film on this forum and others. You can't tell people their opinions about the film aren't valid because they somehow watched it "wrong." By the same token, do we really think the art crowd came out in droves to see this film? I think the average movie goer wanted exactly what a Michael Bay Transformers promised - explosions, action and giant frikkin' robots.

If we -do- rate the film by the "leave your brain at the door EXPLOSIONS" standard: I was expecting an enjoyable summer sci-fi action flick based around giant transforming robots... and I got bored and annoyed. It didn't entirely succeed in being "enjoyable." There are parts I'm going to bash because they made the movie unenjoyable for me. I did like it, I wanted to like it more. You liked it a lot more than me. Neither of us is wrong, nobody else is wrong for having a different opinion.

Last edited by RNSrobot; 06-25-2009 at 12:31 PM.
RNSrobot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #126
Sureshot22
look behind you. tee hee
Sureshot22's Ebay Auctions

saw it last night in V.I.P. (no annoying little brats or big brats lol)

I personally loved it. yes it had its flaws. like has been stated with the multiple constructicons. that had me scratching my head as it was happening. yes it could have been better. i for sure would have LOVED more info or backround story on alot of the other bots. like sideswipe was kick-ass when he dusted sideways then you see nothing more of him really other then car mode and when he gets shot and spins around in the final battle. or when they are circled at the base. and yes you see jolt there in that scene also. hes the guy with the (bolts of electricity ) between the fingers or barbs on his hands,

I was waiting the whole movie for the arcee twins to merge. didn't know that was taken out. and wish they had a more prominent role but oh well.

I dont leave my brain at the door. I dont nit-pick. ( i wonder about things or think could have been better sure.) but i went in to enjoy the movie and i really did. I loved it. great action and alot of it.

alot of the posts here (yes i read them ALL) seem they really didn't like it for alot of reasons. and thats their opinion. we all like movies and things for different reasons. there is nothing wrong with that.

there is no need to attack others for their opinions. do you really give a crap if someone else liked it or not? I don't. I personally loved it but sure some things could have been done differently.

for all you in the west end toronto/ oakville/ burlington/ hamilton area. you guys NEED to check out the oakville VIP at burloak. very nice to have no one under 19 there. and for you that like to drink. they serve booze. and serve you in your nice comfy leather seats.

was nice to see code of honor there also.

P.S. sideways.. lol wtf.
and personally HATED soundwaves voice.

PSN ID: SURESHOT22

FEEDBACK THREAD http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=9366

Last edited by Sureshot22; 06-25-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Sureshot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #127
Oasis
Panel Queen
Send a message via Skype™ to Oasis

WARNING: Gross moment:

Saw it in IMAX with a fellow fangirl and we are under the impression that Michael Bay WANTS stickyfic writers to be inspired, thanks to the "Robots humping/have genitals" jokes and Soundwave's "tenticle invasion" moment with the satellite. We are not looking forward to ff.net's newest wave of stories.

Gross moment over.

I agree, there were WAY too many poorly written tropes disguised as characters in this movie. We didn't need the douche Government guy, we didn't need the parents that much, we didn't need the professor (who makes those kind of unprofessional comments in front of the DEAN?), or 85% of the army, and I agree, we REALLY didn't need the roommate. This was a movie about robots, wasn't it?

The Matrix of Leadership...sigh. Did Sam actually go into it when he died? Does this mean he's replaced Hot Rod? After seeing the remade "Touch" Video, I'm starting to wonder...
Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #128
alexsaurus_rex
Don't Panic!

I liked it just fine. Optimus Prime was full on deadly! Loved the way he executed Demolisher at the start and Blackout/Grindor in the woods. He really stepped it up from the last one!

The only thing that irked me were the multiple Constructicons. I think at some point they should have differentiated between Longhaul, Rampage etc. and the vehicles that made up Devs. but at least the toy kind of makes sense now.

I really enjoyed John Turturro and loved that he had Frenzy's head displayed as a trophy!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #129
pud333
Animated

My two cents:

I absolutely loved the movie.

- The Optimus forrest fight was the best. Reminded me of when he showed up in the animated movie and just kicked ass. The icing on the cake for me was when he tore off Starscream's arm and beat him with it. Brilliant. I watched this on the IMAX screen, and it was just amazing. I don't think I could ever watch it on a regular screen, cause it was so cool seeing Optimus to scale.

- I loved how there was so much robot on robot carnage. Anyone who complained that there was not enough robot stuff last time, should have been satisfied this time cause it was so much, I almost - and I say almost - thought it was overkill. But of course, it wasn't.

- Holy shit. Michael Bay outdid himself, cause while Megan Fox is a really good looking girl, she looked amazing in the movie.

- BB basically skinning Ravage was great.

- I hated the twins at first, but came around to really enjoy them. Best line was when the one twin called the kid a pussy.

- Devastator was very cool looking.

- I actually like the parents. There was a lot of 12 year old boy humor in the film, but then, my mind sort of regressed down to that level, so it was all good. I enjoyed it all.

- I pretty much liked all the new bots. Ravage was really awesome, and I even liked Wheelie. But then, I was someone who liked Frenzie too, so go figure.

Nit picking:

- Arcee was cool but useless.

- Lots of bot carnage, but I was dismayed Ironhide and Ratchet basically didn't do much. I guess that's what you get when you have limited time and money and want to introduce new characters.

- Devastator: one hit and that's it? Okay... I also was confused by the constructicons. I thought they were a part of Devastator, but then they appear in the final fight and they're also a part of devastator on the other side of the battle. I guess it confused me that there were multiples of the same robots.

- I didn't understand who that one blue bot was that helped Optimus combine with Jetfire.

- Reusing Bonecrusher, etc. was confusing.

- Optimus kills the Fallen in like 30 seconds. I was expecting more.

Overall, I really did love this movie. I saw the first one like 4 times. I don't think I'll see it that many times, but definitely one more trip to IMAX for sure. Then maybe again six months later when it shows up in the cheap 2nd run theaters right before the DVD hits.

Last edited by pud333; 06-25-2009 at 02:46 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #130
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Can we do something about the size of that slagging picture? It really makes it harder to read threads when you have to constantly go from side to side like an old fashioned typewriter because the damn thing stretches the screen out?