Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 11-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Omegatron
Gen 1
Masterpiece is the new Classics?

I doubt any of this is real revelatory stuff but I recently got hold of MP-10 and it got me thinking about the Masterpiece and Classics lines. Basically I have always loved MP-01 and only got MP-10 because I wanted to continue collecting the new Masterpiece line in the correct scale. When I put them side by side I expected MP-01 to be a superior toy. It is better when it comes to detail (moving pistons, arm communicators, etc.) but is not superior in appearance. Basically MP-10 has a better truck mode and the robot mode is at least equal to MP-01 and definitely more cartoon accurate. I don’t know how I feel about this as it makes the larger scale MPs feel a little less special but it also makes me excited for the line in general.

Anyway, with the new size class my question is: Do you think that Hasbro/ Takara is abandoning the Classics line in favor of the Masterpiece line? Could this be why “Generations” appears to have been recast as “War/ Fall of Cybertron and whatever else doesn’t fit anywhere else”? I think with Masterpiece being close in scale to Classics (Lambor being a good example) and both being essentially G1 lines that Has/Tak is using the new scale to both satisfy collectors and fight third parties with interesting product. Unfortunately this means no more quality cheap deluxes of G1 characters as I don’t think Hasbro can support two G1 inspired lines.

What do you think is this self-evident, am I out to lunch or something in between?
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Re: Masterpiece is the new Classics?

No, because Classics was a modernized version of G1 characters with more modern alt modes and Masterpiece is aiming for modernized G1 toys with same alt modes from the 80's.

That and I doubt the Masterpiece line will ever give us as many updated characters that the Classics lines has up till now, and still producing. Hasbro will keep making Classics because they profit more per volume vs Masterpiece.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
FEZaid
Arabian Knight

Well, I guess Materpiece will be the new classics, but more toward "ADULT" collectors since they have the money and space. I don't think Deluxe scale classics are getting replaced, it's just Hasbro would rather engineer a good figure than a 'ok' figure. There are still tons of characters they can do: Blitzwing, Arcee, a proper Springer, combiners, Trailbreaker, etc. I'm not a fan of MP, but pretty sure a majority of collectors would appreciate that happening. (I think)
Old 11-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Omegatron
Gen 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
No, because Classics was a modernized version of G1 characters with more modern alt modes and Masterpiece is aiming for modernized G1 toys with same alt modes from the 80's.
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan View Post
That and I doubt the Masterpiece line will ever give us as many updated characters that the Classics lines has up till now, and still producing. Hasbro will keep making Classics because they profit more per volume vs Masterpiece.
I hope so but I'm not so sure. Classics seems to have dried up lately, when was the last new classics mold? Do we know of any new classics molds coming out? GDO re-uses molds and I'm not sure Fall of Cybertron really counts as classics.

Given how many classics toys shelfwarmed, I'm not sure they are really all that profitable for Hasbro compared to other lines. I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro concentrated on more kid friendly lines and focused on the masterpiece line for collectors. I hope I'm wrong.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Undrave
Canadian Slag

They need to give us a Masterpiece Ironhide with the proper alt-mode and colours!
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
blueandwhite
Generation 1

Honestly, with the limited distribution of the MP line I don't think that you can really compare MP Transformers with the Classics line. Classics are relatively affordable and were easy to obtain whereas many MP releases have been hard to downright impossible to obtain and are extremely pricey. Don't get me wrong; as a fan of G1 the MP line is great. That being said, the general availability and affordability of the Classics line is nothing to sneeze at either.

Next year we might get Sideswipe and Soundwave. That's only two transformers; not a full line. Couple that with the fact that many of us will likely never get our hand on both of these figures and it definitely makes the case that there is still a place for Classics.
blueandwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:03 AM   #7
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

buy takara, problem solved, searching everywhere for a figure only to miss it isn't my cup of tea

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
juxtapose519
Robot Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr-icy View Post
buy takara, problem solved, searching everywhere for a figure only to miss it isn't my cup of tea
Says captain moneybags over here!

Trade | Cybertron Feedback | TFW Feedback | Collection
juxtapose519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtapose519 View Post
Says captain moneybags over here!
lol, not really, but since i don't drive, and this godforsaken town has the most pitiful bus system, it costs me $18 to go to tru, in town. or around $40 plus at least an hour or two of my time if i want to go out of town, with no guarantees of finding them, so in the case of sideswipe, $90 shipped, delivered to my house. or if he (hypothetically) comes out at retail next year, the absolute least i can see them selling it for is $35 with tax, so i save maybe $15-$35 to wait a year and fight others for a chance to get one of the few they release at retail?

no point in waiting anymore imo, I've been trying to get the Hasbro prime, with no luck at all. for Grimlock and Rodimus, i would have missed both if it wasn't for some of the great members on here. if i get hasbro versions, it'll be for alt mode display purposes anymore

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
pud333
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr-icy View Post
Pretty much this. I know Takara is more expensive, but I am pretty much guaranteed to get it. Delivered right to my door. Time is too valuable to me these days. It just means I cut out some other things from my budget. So for TFs, I only collect MPs and Alternity toys. That said, I was really disappointed with MP-12. I expected at least Alternity quality for the price - or at least rubber tires - but we didn't get it. I know it's a bit silly, but rubber tires makes a huge difference to me. I basically paid $50 for a $15 deluxe TF. So I cancelled my MP-14 order. It helps that I'm not a completionist too.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote