Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
shockwave555
Smart Guy
Re: Seeing "Man Of Steel" tonight

it came out on my birthday so my friends took me to see it. its pretty good but for sure better than the 2006 movie
Old 06-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
FEZaid
Arabian Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeNard View Post
I don't see the point of watching this movie. Aren't they just rebooting Super Man, the same movie over and over?
Well, this Man of Steel is the first step to a Justice League movie (also has to do more with new 52 content)
Old 06-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #13
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

My opinion. Worth nothing but enjoy the rant.

I think a lot of the bitching and moaning thrown at this movie is from people who simply refuse to have a good time anymore. It's become painfully clear that some just can not "enjoy" movies anymore. 'Man of Steel' was pretty damn fun. Pretty solid acting from everyone involved, FX that made it look believable to have a guy in a cape floating in front of you, a story that made enough sense to be plausible (it's a comic book film for Gods' sake, not Shakespearian theatre) and more action (maybe too much) than every other Superman movie...and most every episode of Smallville combined. I liked the liberties that were taken with the story and felt it made it more plausible and realistic. All in all I think it's a fun movie, full of sounds and color like most Summer Blockbusters but built on enough substance that its memorable.

Everyone will see this film how they see it, but I'm pretty tired of the straight negative crap a lot if people are giving it. By all means feel free to sink a couple million dollars into your own vision and see how it turns out. I see the movie as an absolute success and as an apology for 'Green Lantern' and 'Superman Returns'. Flawed? Yeah. But hella fun.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #14
elburrito
Animated

I still get chills from that John Williams theme. Biggest part that was missing I say.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #15
Hellboy
Alternator

I'm going to see it on Wednesday. I'm not going because I'm a Superman fan. I'm not going because it's a reboot of the series. I'm not going because of the casting.

I'm going because I love Zach Snyder films. They always get lambasted by critics but they are a visual spectacle and that's why I go to see movies... otherwise I'd just read a book.

If I walk away disappointed it will be a first... and more like due to Nolan producing it than Snyder's directing... I did not like the latest Batman flicks.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #16
pud333
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Because of this, they turned Zod from what could of been a very engaging and complex villain into a moustache twirler.

Mandatory SPOILER ALERT right here before I make my point. DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER if you don't want to be spoiled. You have been warned.

You have a strange idea of what a moustache twirler is. Zod was as far from a simple evil villain as you can get. He was genetically bred to be a soldier, to protect Krypton. When he couldn't protect it, he tried to revive Krypton. A man like that could actually be seen as a hero to some. Zod was a patriot, something you don't really see in a straightforward villain. He was motivated by the love of his world. And when Superman seemingly took it all away from him, took his soul as he put it, he became suicidal, wanting "Death by Superman" as it were. In the end, he succeeds in hurting Superman back, taking a bit of Kal's soul in the process, by making Superman do what he did to Zod. Superman's anguished scream at the end nearly made me cry. I could see Kal had lost a bit of himself by his actions.

A moustache twirler to me is, "Hey, I got a nuke, give me a billion dollars." But that's just my opinion.

END SPOILER.

Personally, I LOVED this movie. Better than Batman Begins as far as origin stories go. I nearly cried twice and I left the theater with a shit eating grin. I don't understand the hate towards this movie. I get it if some people just didn't like it, but some of the critics seem to still cling to Donner's Superman. Sorry, but that Superman is from the past. I love Donner's Superman, but it's time to get over it and move on. Superman has changed so much in the comics since then. Man of Steel is closer to the modern Superman than anything else I have seen on the character. Other critics seemed to just hate Snyder. I don't think Snyder was ever going to be given a fare shake. The fact that the Rotten Tomatoes score is terrible, but the Cinemascore was A-, just shoes how wrong the critics were this time.

Anyway, going to see it again this week.

Last edited by pud333; 06-18-2013 at 12:44 AM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #17
FEZaid
Arabian Knight

Ok, so I got a chance to see this movie, twice (and will be watching it a third time, after my Bro finishes exams), here is my opinion:

This isn't your normal Superman film, its not the typical hero who saves everyone and looked as a god-like individual among man kind. It felt more realistic if the comics and cartoon have become reality, just hard pumping nonstop action. The origin wasn't forced and at some parts felt emotional (I really mean started tearing up) because I can relate to what Clarke Kent went through as a kid (I had superpowers) it captured the emotional side of the story.

Ok, The fight scenes, throughout 2/3 of the movie, imagine if WWE had wrestlers with superpowers and the ring is on public grounds, my heart was pumping at every frame not knowing how this mess is going to end. I can't think of any other movie where they had people fighting while causing massive damage to the environment (Besides Godzilla, maybe Pacific Rim when it releases).

The villains, General Zod and his goons, I felt bad for them, they were only trying to revive what they lost but toke a militant path because they were thinking with their emotions and felt that was the only option they had.

I read comments on "There is to much action" in a SUPERMAN MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok, remember Superman Returns, people hated it because there was no action. WB studios decided to do the exact opposite of that and people complain.

SPOILER I put it in a black color, just highlight it to read.
I heard reviews, a lot of critics mention 'Superman' destroyed the city, a chunk of it was destroyed by Zod gravity machine, also, the city wasn't wiped off the map, It a massive populous, it was really four blocks of downtown skyscrapers, that is why the destruction looked much bigger than it should be.

Last edited by FEZaid; 06-19-2013 at 12:03 AM.
FEZaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #18
Hellboy
Alternator

Saw it tonight.

Wow. Awesome. Best Superhero movie made thus far and I'm a huge fan of what Marvel has been putting out lately.

I was captivated completely throughout.

My wife was not impressed by it ("not enough character development and too much fighting") but I think she's nuts.

Man of Steel beat Iron Man 3 and Star Trek: Into Darkness hands down in my books.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:01 AM   #19
ImNotThePro
XBL - Im Not The Pro
ImNotThePro's Ebay Auctions

Personally I'm a Batman kind of guy. I don't care for Superman much and the only times I really pay attention to him is for his action sequences (all forms of media), which Man Of Steel delivered in.
ImNotThePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:40 AM   #20
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post

Mandatory SPOILER ALERT right here before I make my point. DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER if you don't want to be spoiled. You have been warned.

You have a strange idea of what a moustache twirler is. Zod was as far from a simple evil villain as you can get. He was genetically bred to be a soldier, to protect Krypton. When he couldn't protect it, he tried to revive Krypton. A man like that could actually be seen as a hero to some. Zod was a patriot, something you don't really see in a straightforward villain. He was motivated by the love of his world. And when Superman seemingly took it all away from him, took his soul as he put it, he became suicidal, wanting "Death by Superman" as it were. In the end, he succeeds in hurting Superman back, taking a bit of Kal's soul in the process, by making Superman do what he did to Zod. Superman's anguished scream at the end nearly made me cry. I could see Kal had lost a bit of himself by his actions.

A moustache twirler to me is, "Hey, I got a nuke, give me a billion dollars." But that's just my opinion.

END SPOILER.
Spoiler Alert again... .turn back now...

Here's why I think he's a moustache twirler. He didn't have to cause a sh!t storm, but he did. He chose to make war when all he had to do was have a simple conversation with Superman that went something like this.

Zod: Hi Kal, I’m from your home world. You have some stuff that can bring back our whole race. Will you give it to me, so I can go away peacefully and find a uninhabited planet to terraform?
Kal: Umm. You can bring back our people and I can have a place to go where I belong? Sure. Take my stuff. Here it is.
Zod: Thanks. Come visit some time. Bye now.
Kal: Bye.

Which brings me to another point. Zod didn't have to destroy Earth to get a new Krypton. He could have chosen to terraform any other planet but he chose a path that led to genocide. You think a guy who's seen his whole race die would think twice about genocide even if it's another race.

And at the end, when he's about to lose, he goes and threatens the lives of more innocents just for spite. There's somebody to feel sorry for... not. That's moustache twirling at it's heart.

And for a genetically bred soldier... no General, he's not too bright. You figure first order of business would be to scout and figure out that not only does being on earth give you superpowers, those superpowers can really mess you up when you take off your helmet.

When supposedly smart characters do dumb things, that's a big red flag that the story isn't all it's cracked up to be.