Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #31
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models
Re: Canadian Customs

If it comes in via US/Canada Post, you should only have to pay tax (13% hst in Ontario) + $9.95 collection fee. Anything over and something went wrong (likely not identified as "toys" through inspector error and thus hit with customs).

Declared value of $0-$50 should almost never get hit, $50-$100 is luck of the draw, over $100 will pretty much always get hit.

Being marked "gift" will almost never help.

If FedEx or UPS, it's a crapshoot because some couriers tack on huge "brokerage fees".
Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #32
PrimeBane
Generation 1

I clearly haven't been hit in ages... last time it happened the brokerage from from CP was $7.

I'll rent my horseshoe to others at a reasonable rate
PrimeBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #33
Oberon Prime
Beasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I've never seen any "gift" option when ordering from BBTS. Where is it?
Apologies if this did get a useful answer but it seemed that the ones you got referred to where it used to be and the fact that it wasn't there anymore.

Currently if you click Change under Account Settings at the bottom you'll see an option for Customs Declaration.

I have this set as "Yes" and for my last two orders both arrived marked as Gift but showing the value and neither time was a charged any fees.

For those interested in specifics the orders were $54.01 and $101.96 before shipping. So both were over the $50, with the second being over $100 though just barely.

I have a much larger order coming my way at $280.82 before shipping but I won't know for a couple more weeks whether I'm to be dinged on that one.
My Want Thread
My Sales Thread

Oberon Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #34
Paradigm-Shift Prime
Unit Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
If it comes in via US/Canada Post, you should only have to pay tax (13% hst in Ontario) + $9.95 collection fee. Anything over and something went wrong (likely not identified as "toys" through inspector error and thus hit with customs).

Declared value of $0-$50 should almost never get hit, $50-$100 is luck of the draw, over $100 will pretty much always get hit.

Being marked "gift" will almost never help.

If FedEx or UPS, it's a crapshoot because some couriers tack on huge "brokerage fees".
This.

If its through USPS, there is no such thing as 'brokerage' fees. Tax and a duty charge can be applied, but that's it.

Brokerage fees only exist in the case of UPS/FedEx, etc (private couriers), and when applied (almost always when over a certain value declared), regularly are in the 25-60% of value range, with no clear account of how the fee is arrived at, but if you don't pay, you don't get your package.

Once in 2007 I got hit with a $75 brokerage fee from UPS for a $100 value item (sealed G1 Kickback). I made the eBay seller reimburse me for it, because their auction clearly said they shipped with USPS, but then they sent it with UPS (a new seller). That raises a message to our US friends, don't mess around with the identification and execution of which shipment method one uses.

Last edited by Paradigm-Shift Prime; 09-04-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Paradigm-Shift Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #35
thaneofcremona
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr-icy View Post
alright, where's the horseshoe? i'm at 100% getting hit
This right here.
Im with you every single time I order anything from BBTS I get dinged for the customs.

Cheers
Old 09-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #36
Shockwave 75
I drink, & I know things.

Just got my last two packages; one from BBTS, and one from a seller on Amazon.ca from China.

No fees paid.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #37
joeyjoejoe
Mini-Con

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm-Shift Prime View Post
This.

If its through USPS, there is no such thing as 'brokerage' fees. Tax and a duty charge can be applied, but that's it.

Brokerage fees only exist in the case of UPS/FedEx, etc (private couriers), and when applied (almost always when over a certain value declared), regularly are in the 25-60% of value range, with no clear account of how the fee is arrived at, but if you don't pay, you don't get your package.

Once in 2007 I got hit with a $75 brokerage fee from UPS for a $100 value item (sealed G1 Kickback). I made the eBay seller reimburse me for it, because their auction clearly said they shipped with USPS, but then they sent it with UPS (a new seller). That raises a message to our US friends, don't mess around with the identification and execution of which shipment method one uses.
Not quite. It's not just called a "handling fee" instead of a "brokerage fee".

USPS will ship to CSBA. From CSBA, Canada Post will ship from there to you. If taxes/duty are assessed, then Canada Post will charge a $9.95 handling fee. If no taxes/duty are assessed then there's no handling fee.
joeyjoejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #38
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberonprime View Post
Apologies if this did get a useful answer but it seemed that the ones you got referred to where it used to be and the fact that it wasn't there anymore.

Currently if you click Change under Account Settings at the bottom you'll see an option for Customs Declaration.

I have this set as "Yes" and for my last two orders both arrived marked as Gift but showing the value and neither time was a charged any fees.

For those interested in specifics the orders were $54.01 and $101.96 before shipping. So both were over the $50, with the second being over $100 though just barely.

I have a much larger order coming my way at $280.82 before shipping but I won't know for a couple more weeks whether I'm to be dinged on that one.
Current setting is "YES" yet I always get hit whenever the order is over $50.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote