Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 09-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
jtkv
Robot Master
Help a new "collector" get started...

Hello everyone!

I'm just starting to collect Transformers action figures, and wondered if there is any online resource that has a database of all the series and characters available.

Currently in the stores, I see Generations, Prime, RID, RTS, FOC, 30th Anniversary, Beast Hunters, Movie tie-ins, etc...
In the for sale section, I see G1, First Edition, etc..
This is not even including the 3rd Party, Fan Builds, or Japan releases...

I would like to know what is out there and what I need to collect to get complete sets of a series.. What is hard to find, what is worth getting, etc...

And also value of these items... I see single used figures that go for $50 and do not understand why they sell for price..
Many times I see an item for sale in the ForSale section that is available for cheaper in the stores!

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
jtkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
Deception
Crossover
Re: Help a new "collector" get started...

it's kind of hard to say what is worth getting. when it comes down to it, it's all personal preferences. some people are completionists and like to get every figure of a particular line while some people just buys the molds like they like. the generations and line is a good place to start collecting. it's what got me into collecting transformers again. 3rd party figures are nice but expensive. the masterpiece line is pretty good too also don't let reviews tell you whether or not you should get a figure, when it comes down to it...its what you like. i'd shop around, compare prices with people on the sale threads here with retail and ebay, although ebay is guaranteed to be much higher
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Hobbyist Prime
King of the Scratchbuild
Hobbyist Prime's Ebay Auctions

Check out transformerland.com they have a pretty robust archive listing with pictures.
Hobbyist Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
roballan
Machine War

Welcome to the madness!

You've asked a few simple questions, some with answers that are not. I'll try lending a hand with some quick stuff and hope some of the more experienced and/or thoughtful folks here add additional guidance.

Your easiest way, I think, to get some insight into TF product lines and prices is to use the ShelfLife software on the right. It's pretty useful both for keeping an inventory of your own as well as connecting with potential sellers. They also run contests now and again which is great too.

Your best bet for gaining knowledge is just reading this and the tfw2005.com websites. To that end, there's probably a lot of acronyms that won't make sense at first. I'm putting a few below that really got me when I first joined up and started collecting again.

CHUG - Classics, Henkei, Universe, Generations
These are actually 4 product lines from Hasbro or Takara that are roughly to the same scale. They are most often G1-inspired, some more faithful interpretations than others. (Henkei is the Japanese line from Takara, specifically. That name looks weirdest next to the others.)

Masterpiece - This is the current high-end line from Hasbro and Takara. Large scale figures and highly detailed. Great articulation. Usually very costly compared to other lines.

G1 - Generation 1. Can refer to vintage figures or modern reissues.

WST - World's Smallest Transformers. A line of micro-engineered transformers from 3rd parties. Speaking of which

3P - 3rd party. This refers to figures not made by Hasbro/Takara. Steadily growing segment of the market. (Though some 3P manufacturers are closing, such as Impossible Toys.)

Lastly, keep in mind pricing/availability of Transformers is HIGHLY regional. Moreso than you'd ever expect it should be. (Frustratingly so, in fact.) Often, prices you'll see are a reflection of this. Other times people have losses to recoup. Obviously others are out to make a larger profit and so that can drive cost up as well. Buying the best bargain is always a good idea, but do keep in mind seller reputation often is a reflection of quality. This can include shipping ,etc. So sometimes more money is a better investment in a piece. (Not always.)

Take Care, Welcome, and Enjoy!!

roballan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

Everything can be found here: http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/
Old 09-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Shelflife might also be a good visual guide to show different series and such, and clicking around and seeing what is what.

For the generation 1 figures, the old school checklists that came with the figures might be a good enough checklist.

To be honest, there's no easy crash course in teaching this stuff though, I'm still finding new stuff that I didn't know about. Take it slow, don't try and learn everything at once. Start with the resources people have suggested.

As for why some figures cost so much, it's generally either because they're rare, or they're sought after, or a combination of the two. Botcon exclusives tend to command high prices, as do vintage original g1 figures. Also generally the more small pieces a figure came with, the more they are worth because a piece or two always gets lost, and it's hard to find complete figures (this is particularly true of g1 targetmasters, headmasters, powermasters, and small parts like Jetfire's gun clip, the gun for full tilt (Trypticon), and the range finder for roadbuster.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
Undrave
Canadian Slag

What to collect depends on a lot of factor: maybe you like a specific character from fiction or characters (for exemple I'm thinking of gathering a Lost Light shelf), or maybe you like a type of alt mode (I can't pass up helicopter former myself), maybe you want a figure that can take dynamic poses or maybe you just want some nostalgia and get old school toys (my personal nostalgia stops at Beast Wars, those G1 toys are no fun to fiddle with) or maybe you're one of those crazy folks who never touches the toys he bought and wants to go for MISB (mint in sealed box) or MOSC (mint on sealed card) toys!

Like mentionned some are completionist for a serie or line, others for a character, and sometimes for a mold!

Start with the transformers you already have and look where you can go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
Shelflife might also be a good visual guide to show different series and such, and clicking around and seeing what is what.

For the generation 1 figures, the old school checklists that came with the figures might be a good enough checklist.

To be honest, there's no easy crash course in teaching this stuff though, I'm still finding new stuff that I didn't know about. Take it slow, don't try and learn everything at once. Start with the resources people have suggested.

As for why some figures cost so much, it's generally either because they're rare, or they're sought after, or a combination of the two. Botcon exclusives tend to command high prices, as do vintage original g1 figures. Also generally the more small pieces a figure came with, the more they are worth because a piece or two always gets lost, and it's hard to find complete figures (this is particularly true of g1 targetmasters, headmasters, powermasters, and small parts like Jetfire's gun clip, the gun for full tilt (Trypticon), and the range finder for roadbuster.
Note that characters without modern reimagining usually cost more than character with a CHUG interpretation. I'm srue wthat with the recent Generations Trailcutter release the price of G1 Trailbreaker went down.
Undrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
DamonL
Rollllllllout Autobots

welcome to the board JTKV!

-from a fellow Torontonian~
DamonL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:15 AM   #9
elburrito
Animated

I think it depends a lot on why you are collecting. if you just felt like a hobby, good choice and my advice is to watch the various animations to see what you like best I.e., 1984 Cartoon, beast wars, armada, prime to name a few. the original series and prime are both on Netflix. on the other hand, if you are looking for an investment, perhaps not the best choice. a lot of people buy to sell, but I don't know of anyone getting rich from that.

In terms of what has the most value though, it is u.doubted boxed g1 toys. these can be pretty expensive.

finally, there is a transformers wiki that will tell you just about everything.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page

Have fun!

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:08 AM   #10
SleeplessKnight
Robot in Disguise

I like using http://tfu.info/ for research and reference.
My Sales Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=20919

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=21836
SleeplessKnight is offline   Reply With Quote