Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
mastereh
Generation 2
US dollar exchange and collecting

How are you guys continuing to purchase Transformers internationally?

I'm really hating how bad the Canadian Dollar is doing right now...
mastereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
Window
Robot Master
Re: US dollar....

We're up from Friday 79.5 to 1
Oil is regaining price, Producers in Alberta are pushing ahead with new projects despite the rout.

The only reason our dollar dropped so dramatically was because the BoC dropped the rate to .75 which no one was expecting.
If they had left it at 1 the dollar would likely still be at .81-.85.

So if you want to direct your ire at anyone, direct it at the BoC for monetary policy that only supports the oil sands and propping them up instead of a balanced monetary policy.
Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #3
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower

Don't any of you miss buying off ebay back when the dollar was just $0.61 to $1US? Roughly 14 years ago.

Guess it didn't seem so bad now in hindsight. A small package could have been shipped for $4.50.

A team that's only a shell of its former self
Savage Blitzkrieg Squad [MIC]

Metroplex79 is a good and safe city to do business in!!! Take the tour.
These people stopped by:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

New and old buyers welcome here:
Cybertron.ca sales thread
[CONTINUING POST-TFCON UPDATE]
(last update: Feb 12/14 @ 9:15am EST, slight edit)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #4
Window
Robot Master

I was in the US at that time so the low dollar made seeing family up here nice and cheap.

I do think the CDN economy has the potential to be at 85-95 : 1 against the greenback but we need a balanced economic policy from the government.

Putting all their eggs in the oil basket has unbalanced the country and gutted certain provinces ability to meaningfully contribute to the economy.

Those provinces have also done a good amount of damage to themselves through poor provincial economic policy.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex79 View Post
Don't any of you miss buying off ebay back when the dollar was just $0.61 to $1US? Roughly 14 years ago.

Guess it didn't seem so bad now in hindsight. A small package could have been shipped for $4.50.
It wasn't 14 years ago. I remember hitting the states in March 08 or 09 when the $ was at 1.10 for us.
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
zfarsh
Armada

I am really worried right now. I checked the exchange rate today and it says 1 USD = 1.25 CND. Ay, this hurts, it was like 1.08 - 1.11 last year, and before that it was on par (I really started collecting 3rd party in 2013 when it was on par, so even last year was tougher, and now....)

I am rethinking of many of the purchases I wanted to make, and seing maybe if the Canadian Dollar would go back up. It's very depressing actually for TF Collecting anyways.
zfarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
Window
Robot Master

Paypal Exchange rate I am assuming Zfarsh?

That is them taking their extra 3-4 points on top of the base.
If you go through your bank the rate is closer to market or use a good credit card.

I've stopped using Paypal for many purchases because their exchange rate is so shit.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window View Post
Paypal Exchange rate I am assuming Zfarsh?

That is them taking their extra 3-4 points on top of the base.
If you go through your bank the rate is closer to market or use a good credit card.

I've stopped using Paypal for many purchases because their exchange rate is so shit.
Some of us do not have that luxury I'm afraid.

Paypal is the worst offender, but what do you expect from an American based company owned by Evilbay?

Fortunately I don't buy in USD often. The most purchases I've made online in the past few years happens to be this year I think, with three pre-orders over at Automaton.

Perhaps it's time to re-consider keeping that Fortress Maximus I bought in 2013... Hmmm, something to think about.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #9
Sir Prime A Lot
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wervenom View Post
It wasn't 14 years ago. I remember hitting the states in March 08 or 09 when the $ was at 1.10 for us.
I was living in the USA in 2008 and every store I went into refused to take Canadian coins because they were worthless. Even though our dollar was worth more. I tried to get change for $1 worth of coins and the guy at the gas station refused to change it for a bill because there was a Canadian nickel in there.

I just paid for a Transformers order from Chmungmung 2 days ago, the total was $175 USD and it came out to $225 CAD in Paypal. It's robbery.
Sir Prime A Lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #10
RageD
Energon

I get paid in USD so I'm pretty happy about the dollars decline. It's like an automatic raise everytime I cash a cheque but it won't last. The dollar should rebound and sit around 85-90, which is it's natural value against the greenback.