Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > International Transformers News

Old 07-29-2014, 12:07 AM   #91
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.
Re: Transformers 4 Age Of Extinction Shatters Box-Office Records For 2014

No, it just shows that the taste of NA is different then the rest of the world. NA is more into superheros and comedies. Where the rest of the world is into mecha, stuff blowing up, action, adventure, etc. That is all AOE's results mean. Pacific Rim also did well outside of NA.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:33 AM   #92
RageD
Energon

[QUOTE=Knockout;592195]No, it just shows that the taste of NA is different then the rest of the world. NA is more into superheros and comedies. Where the rest of the world is into mecha, stuff blowing up, action, adventure, etc. That is all AOE's results mean. Pacific Rim also did well outside of NA.[/]

So your saying that NA tastes changed that drastically between DOTM and AOE to account for the 100 million less gross than DOTM? No other factors? Viewer fatigue? Bad movie? Franchise fatigue?

Lots of movies do well overseas, and transformers is doing really well because of Chinese involvement and in turn huge grosses there.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #93
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageD View Post

So your saying that NA tastes changed that drastically between DOTM and AOE to account for the 100 million less gross than DOTM? No other factors? Viewer fatigue? Bad movie? Franchise fatigue?
Interestingly, AoE is still likely going to be the highest grossing film in North America this year. It needs around 28 million in 70 days or so to catch Winter Soldier if the numbers I saw are correct.

Also NA box office numbers are down 20% this year over last year, the lowest total in 8 years.

Could be a variety of factors. One article mentions how summer films this year had to go head to head with the World Cup. Some of the games broadcast did 3 times the ratings of largest normal TV shows in the same weeks.

But if a weak(to some anyway) Transformers film still ends up as the biggest North American film of the year I still think that makes a pretty loud statement.

Could be Transformers fatigue, could be less people going to the Movies in general, but #1 or even #2 at the box office(while being number 1 world wide) won't be viewed as a failure by the powers that be.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:16 AM   #94
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Tastes change, so yes I am saying that.

And box numbers might be down because so much of the NA population is out of work or finding better ways to spend money. I normally do not watch movies in theatres. I always wait until it comes out on dvd, go to the states get the movie cheaper.

Last edited by Knockout; 07-29-2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:26 AM   #95
RageD
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Interestingly, AoE is still likely going to be the highest grossing film in North America this year. It needs around 28 million in 70 days or so to catch Winter Soldier if the numbers I saw are correct.

Also NA box office numbers are down 20% this year over last year, the lowest total in 8 years.

Could be a variety of factors. One article mentions how summer films this year had to go head to head with the World Cup. Some of the games broadcast did 3 times the ratings of largest normal TV shows in the same weeks.

But if a weak(to some anyway) Transformers film still ends up as the biggest North American film of the year I still think that makes a pretty loud statement.

Could be Transformers fatigue, could be less people going to the Movies in general, but #1 or even #2 at the box office(while being number 1 world wide) won't be viewed as a failure by the powers that be.
Once again sir, your well thought out, and articulated comments are appreciated. You make valid points and it's food for thought on this topic.

But I will counter with this. Even though the box office as a whole is down 20%. Good Movies are finding a way to outgross there predecessors in NA. Winter Soldier, Days of future past, Planet Of the Apes, etc. Where as Transformers is significantly lower than its predecessor.

In any event, there will be a Transformers 5: Explosion-polloza and then we can rehash this all again then.

Last edited by RageD; 07-29-2014 at 10:42 AM.
RageD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:43 AM   #96
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelyken View Post
I saw AOE in 2D on opening weekend. It wasn't released exclusively in 3D, at least not in my market.
Perhaps the London market just likes the extra revenue the 3d screenings generate. Looks like the upcoming ninja turtles will be in 3d as well.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:52 PM   #97
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

I really don't know how he'll do 5. Though there is rumors coming from his team that it will have Roddie in it. Which has me hoping for Ultra Magnus. There is a few unresolved issues in 4 that I don't think could be explained in future movies. Minus the Quinnies, but honestly I don't see Bay making a movie all in space and I really, really think Cybertron is gone. The blast might not of destroyed all of it but I am quite sure the feedback knocked it out of orbit.

I dunno how 5 will go but even if I don't like it, I'll go because I want to support the brand in general. I don't want Hasbro thinking Transformers is a dead brand outside of comics.

Personally I don't think younger generations are into Transformers as much as the older generations and the ones that grew up during the TF boom. Hasbro keeps trying to encourage it with kids these days, but honesty. I mean I was TRU yesterday and heard a kid about 5 or 8 years old say ' Transformers? Who the heck still likes Transformers, I hate Transformers.' to his mom and brother.

Last edited by Knockout; 07-29-2014 at 11:57 PM.