Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #61
SpikeNard
Generation 1
Re: X-BOX ONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandoclone87 View Post
He didn't say that he'd buying an Xbox One. Besides, the Kinect can be turned off when not in use. I'm also wavering on getting a new console, since MS has these new restrictions and Sony is incapable of protecting my data, I may very well stick with my PC.

The Kinect never turns off! That's what they want you to believe.
SpikeNard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #62
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

I am pretty sure that you can turn sharing/data collecting off on the kinect I know you can with the one that is out now
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #63
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeNard View Post
The Kinect never turns off! That's what they want you to believe.
M$ said that you can turn it off, besides if you are really paranoid you could just unplug it.
G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #64
face
Spawn of Unicron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Welcome to the future of media: You don't own anything... only the right to use it.

...yay.
You don't even have that right, you only have it if you follow their rules. I will bet every dollar I have in my pocket that this is aimed at console modders and software pirates as much as anyone, if you get caught using a modded console, they don't just deny you access to xbl, but to your library of games as well, turning your console into a $500 paperweight.

I've been saying it everywhere I can, it feels almost like MS is actively TRYING to lose this generation
Old 06-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #65
FEZaid
Arabian Knight

I think we can all agree on this, we won't see results until both the consoles get released, because the gaming world is unpredictable. You got to understand this, gamers talk sh*t all the time, this is nothing new, they will bash anything until the ends of times. For example, Call of Duty Black Ops 1 lowered gamers expectation in the next COD game, and right before Modern Warfare 3 people would dislike every video on Youtube, typing a storm of negative comments.
You know what, Modern Warfare 3 broke the sales record, did very well, getting the developers to make Black Ops 2 and Ghost.

I'm getting the X-Box One, its all about the games, the problems people read about don't concern me. The PS4 seems desperate for sales since the PS3 has been doing bad the last year.

1. You can't share games Most of my friends buy their own games, usually getting it preordered or very early after launch.

2. Kinect spies on you I wish they didn't add this thing, could have brought the cost down, but if you think it can 'spy' on you, there are options, A. Keep in the box B. Cover the camera with a piece of paper. No problems

3. Needs Internet to Use I understand that can be a problem to people who live away from major populations and have weaker online connection, the X-Box One isn't the only thing that can play your games, get a PC or a PS4 or a Wii U, you have options.

4. Can't play Used Games If you have a tight budget and don't want to spend $60 a game, wait when there are sales. Again, people have options, get a PC, gaming PC, and download Steam.

Last edited by FEZaid; 06-12-2013 at 11:26 AM.
FEZaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #66
megaman
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEZaid View Post
You know what, Modern Warfare 3 broke the sales record, did very well, getting the developers to make Black Ops 2 and Ghost.
Actually, it's Activision's game plan to release a Call of Duty game every single year. Infinity Ward one year, Treyarch the next, it's been that way for a while. BO2 and Ghosts would have been made regardless of how well MW3 did.
megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #67
SpikeNard
Generation 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraCommander View Post
M$ said that you can turn it off, besides if you are really paranoid you could just unplug it.
Well, I'm sure there is a battery in there. And if I try taking the battery out or opening the console. It will probably self destruct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by face View Post
You don't even have that right, you only have it if you follow their rules. I will bet every dollar I have in my pocket that this is aimed at console modders and software pirates as much as anyone, if you get caught using a modded console, they don't just deny you access to xbl, but to your library of games as well, turning your console into a $500 paperweight.

I've been saying it everywhere I can, it feels almost like MS is actively TRYING to lose this generation
Exactly! They control all the rules, and boundaries. In reality, they could never deny you the game that you bought, to never ever use it. But now they can. Usually they just ban you from online multiplayer. Now they can possibly not let you use your games unless you check in with them. Even if you aren't doing anything wrong. You still have to ask permission to use your own games that you bought. It's completely insane, on so many levels. This system needs to get hacked, so that you will never need permission to play your offline single player games for any period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEZaid View Post
I'm getting the X-Box One, its all about the games, the problems people read about don't concern me. The PS4 seems desperate for sales since the PS3 has been doing bad the last year.

1. You can't share games Most of my friends buy their own games, usually getting it preordered or very early after launch.

2. Kinect spies on you I wish they didn't add this thing, could have brought the cost down, but if you think it can 'spy' on you, there are options, A. Keep in the box B. Cover the camera with a piece of paper. No problems

3. Needs Internet to Use I understand that can be a problem to people who live away from major populations and have weaker online connection, the X-Box One isn't the only thing that can play your games, get a PC or a PS4 or a Wii U, you have options.

4. Can't play Used Games If you have a tight budget and don't want to spend $60 a game, wait when there are sales. Again, people have options, get a PC, gaming PC, and download Steam.
Yeah, you are trying to rationalize why it's not that big of deal to yourself, but in the long run I really hope you don't get an Xbox One. Problem is that it's not about, oh most of your friends buy their own games anyways. The problem is Microsoft controls what you do with your games, they don't have any value. They have authentication checks. You can't lend it the physical copy of the disc to your multiple friends, without microsoft allowing it. They say you can do this and this. Up to multiple families, and just one friend. But if you own the physical copy of that disc. You should already be allowed to do that without any restrictions. They act like that is some sort of a pro. But really, people have been doing this sort of thing since the beginning of gaming. And they try to make it like it some sort of pro, but really it's all about their control.

It's not about the fact that it needs internet. Or everyone has internet so what's the big deal. It's not about people being poor, for them to get a job and afford it. It's about being able to play your games without having to check with your masters every 24 hours. Rendering you owning your physical game practically useless. It's a gaming machine, you own the game, you should be able to install the game and play it any time you want. In the future down the road, you should never have to worry about checking in with your masters. It's about ownership, feeling like you own it.

More technical terms of Used Games, is that, you can only own a game once or however they want to control it. But a physical copy of that disc, should be up to the people that own it what they can do with it, how they sell it, or trade it and use it. Except, microsoft has the control of how much money you can sell it for. Or how much you buy it for. And if you are saying there other options, then don't get xbox one, isn't that an option? If a game is really good, it will sell multiple copies. But they want everyone to have new copies, they spit on the people that like to borrow games.

They can render you owning your physical copies of the game useless and how they want, anytime. And the only way to to stop such a thing, is not to support them.

Check out this recent article with Microsoft and how they try to excuse their BS.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...game-policies/

They try to excuse it, by saying it's all about change and people don't want to change. But owning a physical copy of the disc, is digital, and owning the actual game is not obsolete. We have been in the digital age for a while. They are trying to say what they are doing is change. But it's about them controlling what people do. Nothing has changed. You can always buy digital versions of games. A disc is a digital copy. And you want that physical disc, because it's a hard copy. It ensures that you don't have to ever buy the game over again and always can play it without no one telling you what to do.

"On Xbox One, having all games exist as cloud-connected downloads enables new features like being able to access your entire library at a friend's house with a single login, or loaning games to up to ten "family members" digitally and remotely." -Microsoft

I could go over to my friend's house right now and play all of his ps3 games. And I don't need a login. They are rationalizing. Why is playing games at somebody's house a new thing? They own the games? Why would that be any different from where it is now?

Notice how this article dodges why they need authentication checks every 24 hours? That has nothing to do with change. That has to do with control. And they try to disguise that is, that it's change, and it's needed. Because when Microsoft stops supporting Xbox Live and Xbox one, it will render it and your entire game collection useless. People still pull out their NES or Dreamcast to play classic games, that never get old, even if the hardware is ancient compared to today's PC's and gaming consoles. They claim they are trying to help people sell their games when in reality is they are controlling and restricting what people can do with their games.

"Things like live TV support and exclusive NFL and Skype partnerships will also help show consumers the Xbox One's "tremendous value." -Microsoft

Really, TV? People already have tv support and much better separate hardware for it. Skype, oh wow. Now I can get my friends on my tv!!

Consumers like yourself have to take a stand, and not support this.
SpikeNard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #68
Stapler
Nexus Maximus

My worry is that you need to have your console connect to the servers once every 24 hours. So what happens 10 or so years from now when they move on to something else and shut off the servers? I'd hate to buy it and not be able to play my games solo and just left with a brick.

It kills me because Killer Instinct 3 is looking great and I've been crossing my fingers for it to happen for ages. I'm going to stick with my 360 and take a wait and see approach with XBone. For the time being, though, I think I'll start with Nintendo for the new console generation.

Looking for: - Energon Snow Cat's mini-con connecter piece.

- Hasbro MP Rodimus prime junker (need left shoulder/arm).
Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #69
face
Spawn of Unicron

Another point of issue is, even if you want to play your games on a friend's console, even by their rules, you'll have to log into your account, and download the entire game, which could take several hours if they don't have a really high speed connection. What about people with data caps? If I buy the disc, is the game data installed from the disc, or downloaded from the 'cloud'? I've spent most of the past year living in a work camp with an extremely limited data cap, 60gb, shared between 25 people! Its simply not feasible to download entire games under those conditions.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #70
wedge1021
Energon

I admit I am a PS lifer. And can't stand M$.
But if Sony ever pulls the same crap with their games console, that'll be it for me.

Last edited by wedge1021; 06-12-2013 at 09:15 PM.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote