Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
GotBot
Nexus Maximus
My 10 Worst Transformers of 2017

The 10 worst Transformers list was extremely difficult to compile since it was such a strong year for all lines. In truth, none of the toys herein are particularly bad but they do fall a little short from being completely stellar. They are drawn from official product only and include the Last Knight line, Titans Return and Power of the Primes. Also ,no Masterpiece were included as that is a little bit of an unfair advantage.
https://youtu.be/GQnY4yHwg4Y
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
Pascal
Banned
Re: My 10 Worst Transformers of 2017

My top 10 (not necessarily in order):

-TR Wheelie: because of how the arms couldn't tab in properly in car mode (now fixed)
-Combiner Force Activator Bumblebee: crap toy overall
-TLK Turbo Changer Bumblebee: can barely stand up in robot mode
-TLK Deluxe Steelbane: shit mold with loose joints, finicky torso that refuses to stay together
-Bold Forms BF-01-P99 Gladius: a nightmare to transform
-MAAS Toys CT-001 Skiff: not liking the arm kibble at all in robot mode, odd headsculpt
-Fansproject TFX-06 Parallax Armor: odd execution, end result isn't all that playable, truck mode looks bad
-POTP Deluxe Swoop: loose beak, dino head doesn't lock in anywhere
-TLK Allspark Tech Megatron: terrible toy, Allspark cube always has to be extracted with pliers!
-TransArt Toys BW-04 Optimal Optimus: feels cheap
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #3
PrimalEnvy
Reverse Corte

Hard to say. If we're only counting figures released this year, it's hard to say. I only got 22 current figures; everything else was from older lines.
TR Gnaw- boring and overrated
TLK Barricade- so close to being good, just nothing interesting
TR Sawback- cheap figure
TR Kickback
TR Cosmos- really overrated mold, also had a connector break
TR Broadside- really bad figure. All modes feel terrible
TR Octone- doesn't hold together well, wings always droop
TR Shuffler- don't get the love for this guy
MPM Optimus Prime- really like this guy, but all of the QC issues in both modes hurt him. He'd be awesome if his legs held together right, his face had better paint, and his truck mode worked. Also hate the transformation.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #4
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

I can only think of 5 that really let me down:

5. Legends God bomber and Magnus prime: combined they are fine, but individually I think these are the ribeyes at this point to be most this year. Both have their own faults. God bomber does not stay well together in Altamonte and pieces will fall after and conversion, it is very annoying. I also do not know what Takara could not paint his face and there are issues with his shoulder canon being very loose when positioning or hooking on in different modes. My issue with the prime figure is that it has the most asinine design decisions I have ever seen for this line. The heel spurs close if the toy starts falling backwards, this is playing dumb. I also hate the feed to sign and I have no clue why it wouldn't of this when it doesn't even look show accurate. It looks like ass. once again, thank God that these two combine into what I think is a pretty good looking design. It definitely helps me not regret my purchase.

4. TLK Barricade: I already wrote a whole review As to how this toy blows. Overly simplistic a ton of back cable and very short. I do not feel this is a worthwhile. Especially one bath at full price. The fact that Hasbro rights premier addition on the box is just plain Insulting. This toy definitely makes me understand why some collectors avoid movie toys like the plague.

3. Crash combiner sky hammer: I am all for toys aim the kids, that's what toys are for. But this one didn't even work with it's gimmick. The alt mode on one of them won't even hold together. I also find a toy overpricedfor how simple it is.

2. TLK Steelbane: it isn't just the floppiness that is an issue. It is also the fact that it looks pretty bad in both modes. I hate seeing all the robots junk like his feet in dragon mode along with how the tail connects. Plus there is the really loose and will advise connection for how the chest forms in robot mode. He also ends up looking very small and it's hard to keep a decent pose. Plus there is that have been to Chester just looks odd.

1. RID Activator Bumblebee: easily the worst price/play value ratio I have ever seen. A very cheap feeling toy that does very little for the price of a Voyager. I get that these are for kids but I also feel parents are being very much ripped off here as are the kids.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #5
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
My top 10 (not necessarily in order):

-TR Wheelie: because of how the arms couldn't tab in properly in car mode (now fixed)
-Combiner Force Activator Bumblebee: crap toy overall
-TLK Turbo Changer Bumblebee: can barely stand up in robot mode
-TLK Deluxe Steelbane: shit mold with loose joints, finicky torso that refuses to stay together
-Bold Forms BF-01-P99 Gladius: a nightmare to transform
-MAAS Toys CT-001 Skiff: not liking the arm kibble at all in robot mode, odd headsculpt
-Fansproject TFX-06 Parallax Armor: odd execution, end result isn't all that playable, truck mode looks bad
-POTP Deluxe Swoop: loose beak, dino head doesn't lock in anywhere
-TLK Allspark Tech Megatron: terrible toy, Allspark cube always has to be extracted with pliers!
-TransArt Toys BW-04 Optimal Optimus: feels cheap
I counted Wheelie in 2016, lol, had I included all the plastic wasted gimmick junk it would have been worst 95 lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalEnvy View Post
Hard to say. If we're only counting figures released this year, it's hard to say. I only got 22 current figures; everything else was from older lines.
TR Gnaw- boring and overrated
TLK Barricade- so close to being good, just nothing interesting
TR Sawback- cheap figure
TR Kickback
TR Cosmos- really overrated mold, also had a connector break
TR Broadside- really bad figure. All modes feel terrible
TR Octone- doesn't hold together well, wings always droop
TR Shuffler- don't get the love for this guy
MPM Optimus Prime- really like this guy, but all of the QC issues in both modes hurt him. He'd be awesome if his legs held together right, his face had better paint, and his truck mode worked. Also hate the transformation.
Now that is a very interesting list with some surprises for sure. I agree with Gnaw and Barricade, Love Cosmas, Broadside and Shuffler. Poor Octane, I expected more there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
I can only think of 5 that really let me down:

5. Legends God bomber and Magnus prime: combined they are fine, but individually I think these are the ribeyes at this point to be most this year. Both have their own faults. God bomber does not stay well together in Altamonte and pieces will fall after and conversion, it is very annoying. I also do not know what Takara could not paint his face and there are issues with his shoulder canon being very loose when positioning or hooking on in different modes. My issue with the prime figure is that it has the most asinine design decisions I have ever seen for this line. The heel spurs close if the toy starts falling backwards, this is playing dumb. I also hate the feed to sign and I have no clue why it wouldn't of this when it doesn't even look show accurate. It looks like ass. once again, thank God that these two combine into what I think is a pretty good looking design. It definitely helps me not regret my purchase.

4. TLK Barricade: I already wrote a whole review As to how this toy blows. Overly simplistic a ton of back cable and very short. I do not feel this is a worthwhile. Especially one bath at full price. The fact that Hasbro rights premier addition on the box is just plain Insulting. This toy definitely makes me understand why some collectors avoid movie toys like the plague.

3. Crash combiner sky hammer: I am all for toys aim the kids, that's what toys are for. But this one didn't even work with it's gimmick. The alt mode on one of them won't even hold together. I also find a toy overpricedfor how simple it is.

2. TLK Steelbane: it isn't just the floppiness that is an issue. It is also the fact that it looks pretty bad in both modes. I hate seeing all the robots junk like his feet in dragon mode along with how the tail connects. Plus there is the really loose and will advise connection for how the chest forms in robot mode. He also ends up looking very small and it's hard to keep a decent pose. Plus there is that have been to Chester just looks odd.

1. RID Activator Bumblebee: easily the worst price/play value ratio I have ever seen. A very cheap feeling toy that does very little for the price of a Voyager. I get that these are for kids but I also feel parents are being very much ripped off here as are the kids.
I totally agree with everything you said. Curious though, how stable do you find God Ginrai combined? I keep hearing different stories.
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
Pascal
Banned

I agree with TLK Barricade, he's pretty boring. Crosshairs and Berserker aren't much better either.

God Ginrai is ok at best. He looks good standing there, but that's pretty much the only thing he can do. The loose shoulder cannon is annoying. I prefer the set I made myself with Kre-O, especially since it also combines with a 3rd trailer and a base!

Surprised about your Bumblebee and Optimus nominations.

Last edited by Pascal; 01-10-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #7
The7thParallel
Nexus Maximus

Ten Worst:

1. TLK Steelbane: I bought him on a whim on a trip and fiddled with him as best I could. The dragon mode isn't great and he can barely stand on his own two feet. He's like a grubby teenager.

2. TR Broadside: I wanted to love him, but I couldn't. The aircraft carrier was decent and the aerialbots were a nice touch, but it's ultimately a flat, boring toy.

3. RID Warrior Twinferno: Mine had wonky leg joints, but it's a lazy Transformer in a normally stellar line.

4. TLK Squeaks: Not really a BAD toy, just not a good character.

5. TR Voyager Optimus: Didn't mind Octone, but this was just not great for me. I sold it off rather quickly.

Figures I didn't buy because they looked unappealing:

1. TLK Leader Dragonstorm
2. TR Overlord (NOT crap, just vastly preferred Sky Shadow)
3. TR Roadburn
4. Most TLK deluxes
5. TLK Voyager Grimlock
The7thParallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #8
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Worst is tough for me and not in any order

1) TR Broadside
2) Diac and Optimus Prime
3) TR Roadburn
4) TFM Carnage (just for the feet)
5) SOC Quickswitch
6) LG-42 Godbomber
7) TLK Infernocus
8) TR Repugnus
9) FT Koot (only while transforming otherwise great)
10) TLK Infernocus (cause it's that bad)
wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
chaingunsofdoom
Wrecker

Special mention to Hasbro for some of the terrible TLK instruction sheets... Nitro being the worst at the top of the list.
chaingunsofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
MapleMegatron
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7thParallel View Post
4. Most TLK deluxes
If you can get your hands on Hot Rod and Cogman, I'd recomend them.
MapleMegatron is offline   Reply With Quote