Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2016, 07:46 AM   #31
ngnaw
Armada
Re: NES emulator mini-console w/ 30 games

Whoever has the original NES, it can be brought back to life with a little bit of Brasso on the connectors to clean them off. Both on the games and in the unit itself. Mine used to load the games and then randomly the game would freeze and show blocks and turn black and looked possessed. I cleaned them off with the Brasso and EVERYTHING works like it did from day 1! I actually just played Lifeforce yesterday! Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A select start lol!
ngnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #32
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngnaw View Post
Whoever has the original NES, it can be brought back to life with a little bit of Brasso on the connectors to clean them off. Both on the games and in the unit itself. Mine used to load the games and then randomly the game would freeze and show blocks and turn black and looked possessed. I cleaned them off with the Brasso and EVERYTHING works like it did from day 1! I actually just played Lifeforce yesterday! Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A select start lol!
Getting an old NES back into working condition isn't hard.

The tricky part is getting an old NES to display properly on modern TVs. Not everyone can (or wants to) have a CRT sitting around.
That's one advantage this NES Mini, or the Wii/Wii-U's Virtual Console, can bring to the table: playing these retro games while connected to a modern HDTV.

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #33
Chigimus
Masterpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomGundam View Post
Getting an old NES back into working condition isn't hard.

The tricky part is getting an old NES to display properly on modern TVs. Not everyone can (or wants to) have a CRT sitting around.
That's one advantage this NES Mini, or the Wii/Wii-U's Virtual Console, can bring to the table: playing these retro games while connected to a modern HDTV.

^^ True, somewhat. I purposely keep my old 20" CRT around for exactly that: compatibility with my old consoles in case I ever want to play an old game. Originally, it was specifically that I can't play light gun games on a modern flat panel; my Duck Hunt and Super Scope 6 cartridges still work, as does my Zapper and Scope peripherals. I also still have a functioning copy of Time Crisis 3 for PS2 and that Guncon also still works. These were way better accessories than any "gun sling/cradle" thing that you could slot a Wii controller into. A couple of months ago, I realized that very few of my 3rd party cartridges on my SNES would work while it was hooked to my flat panel TV (which was weird because some of my 1st party titles still work like Zelda and Mario Kart); I suspect the signal somehow doesn't always upscale on the newer TVs and believe they will all still work on my CRT, but I haven't moved the console yet to confirm that.
Chigimus is offline   Reply With Quote