Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
pud333
Animated
Re: Someone Broke into my Downstairs Neighbors Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Some people just don't trust banks. It's a little extreme, and personally, I don't understand such distrust, b like I said in my previous post, someone kept their life savings in their house. And I don't think this is unique.
Yeah, it's interesting what people are afraid of. We still get clients who are afraid to use the ATM machines. And it's not strictly a generational thing either. Some of these people are in their 20's and 30's. It is what it is.

The stolen gold reminds of me of this dude who got $750K in silver stolen from his home.

http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/silve...467/story.html

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
The stolen gold reminds of me of this dude who got $750K in silver stolen from his home.

http://www.chilliwacktimes.com/silve...467/story.html
Yeah, that's the story I read.... sigh.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

I've learned now that the 4K in gold was some sort of necklace from what I've been told. And that 4K in gold is about the size of a AA battery. I don't keep up with the prices of that kind of stuff unless it's made of plastic, so I had no idea. And said the computer was worth 2K as well. I kinda doubt that part, he probably just said a big number because of his state of mind and all that personal information he lost. He did sound more upset by the lost of his PC than the gold. I know I would be.

I doubt he had it insured because of how upset he sounded. And I agree about that idiot comment. No offense to my tenant, but gold or jewelery, big or small at that price, I would not of kept it in the house. Or at least not insured and in a safe of some sort.

I think you guys are right and this could be a known person who did this. And here's why (and this is going to make my tenants sound kinda too lax about security, but it makes it more likely if someone knew their habits and routine):
- Tenants never arm the alarm downstairs. They could never remember the passcode.
- They never bothered to use both locks on the kitchen window and instead, relied on a wooden dowel kept in the window track to keep it secure. There's also a window screen on top of the window and that help to obscure the wooden dowel (I assume). The window is a bit above eye level, and would be a bit tough to reach up into the gap and remove the dowel and climb in. The only point of damage was one of the clips on the screen is broken.
- And both tenants were out at the time.

The only thing that could make it a random thief is that you wouldn't be seen from the front because of this stupid tree we have there. And the gap between house and next door's fence is sorta narrow, but big enough for you to do that kind of stuff. Assuming no one is inside downstairs and no alarm, thief picked a good target, it seems.

As you might of guessed, tenant is moving at the end of the month (don't blame him, I would move out too). And we're going to install metal bars on the side windows of the house.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #14
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2

It's been about 2 weeks since and yesterday THEY BROKE IN AGAIN! Nothing was stolen or broken, they had a KEY! I heard the lock open and close both times (first 12:30, second 2:30 PM), and stupidly dismissed it the first time thinking it was my brother and he was doing his morning routine (he wakes up late). Tenants have since moved out and they came by after and we talked, they didn't come over that day and they don't have a spare key to steal the first time it happened.

We concluded that nothing was stolen or broken and they were here for about 2 hrs with a key, that Bruticus82 is right, someone is after them and the only spare key to use is his former roommate. The former roommate left on bad terms 5-6 years ago, it's been a long time, but who else could it be?

We're stepping up the timetable on getting bars installed and should be changing locks today.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
Commandoclone87
Seeker

Good idea. Once I move into my apartment, I might have to find a way to turn my webcam into an improvised security monitor with the feed streaming to my phone or laptop. or invest a couple hundred into a small wi-fi security system.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #16
astrana
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
It happened about noonish when I heard someone open the front door. I though it was one of the tenants like any other day. But about 2hrs later, the tenants comes knocking at the upstairs entrance and tells me his computer and 4K in gold were stolen..... Who keeps 4 thousands dollars in gold in the house?

They broke into the kitchen window and this neighborhood was until a few minutes ago a really safe place. Sign of the times, I guess.
4K in gold that's little bit over 2 ounces.

That's 2 coins little bit bigger than a loonie.

Which can be easily hidden. Sounded like someone knew where it was hidden
astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #17
astrana
Nexus Maximus

gold is between 1700-1800 bucks an ounce....
astrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #18
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Yeah, but jewellery is rarely made of pure gold, it's a rather soft metal in its pure form. Then again, if intricately worked the jewellery would be worth more than simply its weight in gold. *shrugs.*

Definitely change the locks. If you're putting bars on the window check the bylaws in your city, some prohibit bars if you are renting to people on that floor, unless there is a separate fire exit (because the bars will prevent them from escaping out the windows if they had to). But it's a city by city thing...just ask maybe.

With all the locks changed, you should be good...but I'd still be careful, even if your tenants move, doesn't mean the other people will know that. It's kind of creepy to think of people wandering around your house. Consider getting a dog. :-p

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #19
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

FYI some friendly advice incase you haven't thought of these things already, and for any one else interested.

Only give tennants keys marked by the lock smith that say Do Not Copy. It doesn't cost extra. You just have to ask for it when you have a key made.

Have in place a policy that if a tennant looses their keys it's $30 charge for the new ones. Two reasons for this: One, it makes the tennant look after their keys a lot better. Having someone to easily replace your keys for like $3 and let you back into your place makes the consequences for loosing keys almost nil. Imagine if they had to call a locksmith, wait outside in the rain, and pay like $200 to get back into their place. Second reason, because you may have to change the lock.

Basically, be a DICtator with the keys. Know how many copies the tennant has, and if they don't give you back every one, take the cost of changing the lock out of their damage deposit.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #20
Nomad
Airachnid's ratservant
Send a message via AIM to Nomad Send a message via MSN to Nomad

It's too bad there'd be nasty laws to prevent you from legally doing the whole automatic crossbow under the coffee table thing haha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConvoyGTR View Post
"they're all gone, vultures everywhere"
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote