Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2011, 02:11 AM   #1
ConvoyGTR
Generation 2
AMMYY Telephone Scam

Here's a first: Just got off the phone with some scammer trying to get access to my computer claiming there's a virus and "needed access to my computer to fix it." I gave them the run around for 30ish mins and after the 4th "technician," they had enough and hung up on me lol. I was googling everything the guys with horrible english were saying and found out its called the "AMMYY Scam."

Basically, they call claiming to be Microsoft Techs. and your computer is infected and have you go into DOS and type in "ftype." They say ""F" stands for "Failure" (fypte is obviously file type and just lists all the files on my com) and all the files being listed are infected" and other stuff like that to gain your trust. Then they direct you to the AMMYY site when you d/l some remote admin program and boom, they got access to everything on your com.

Man, 2011 and elaborate chintzy telephone computer scams like this are happening...

So, let your parents or anyone else that's not so computer savvy know this is going on and warn them. Or if you get it yourself and have some time to kill, have some fun with it, I guess.

PS: The call was cutting in and out and when I *69 it afterwards, I got the number: 000-000-0000. Guess they were using Skype.

edit: Talked to my parents and apparently they called a few weeks ago, making this the FOURTH time they called.

Last edited by ConvoyGTR; 08-10-2011 at 02:51 AM.
ConvoyGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
pandaprime
aficionado!
Re: AMMYY Telephone Scam

lol thanks for the warning

Feedback thread:Cybertron.ca
Items for sale thread: Selling TFs

Last edited by pandaprime; 08-10-2011 at 02:32 AM.
pandaprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus

Been hearing about this one since about April here.

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Autobotz24
G1 Junkie
Autobotz24's Ebay Auctions

My house phone speaks the number of the caller so when I heard all 0s I just ignored it. Had I known I would have answered an had some fun

Feedback thread
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ght=Autobotz24

Among the winners, there is no room for the weak
Autobotz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

I thought this died down a little while ago, but I guess I was wrong. I haven't been hit with it yet, though.

The funniest thing is that I work at a company that makes security software and provides computer online protection. It's funniest when one of our staff members (especially the guys in development or QA) get called for that. They have lots of fun with these scammers.

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

Reason #513 why I never actually answer my phone anymore. Leave a message, and I'll probably return your call...or ignore you some more.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
juxtapose519
Robot Master

I had someone call the other day saying that my credit card number had been stolen. I was worried until they said they were from some security company and not from my bank. All they needed to confirm my identity was my credit card number, expiry date and security code!

Do people really fall for this stuff?

I tried to play along for a while. I asked him which card it was and he said he couldn't tell me for security reasons. I asked him to confirm the last 4 digits, and apparently that was a serious "security" risk too. Then I told him I couldn't be sure which one he was talking about, SO HE TOLD ME TO JUST GIVE HIM ALL OF THEM.

Clowns.

Trade | Cybertron Feedback | TFW Feedback | Collection
juxtapose519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #8
pud333
Animated

Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtapose519 View Post
I had someone call the other day saying that my credit card number had been stolen. I was worried until they said they were from some security company and not from my bank. All they needed to confirm my identity was my credit card number, expiry date and security code!

Yes.

I had two awesome situations at the bank. A few years ago when I was working at the call center, a lady called asking for her direct deposit encoding for her account. Out of curiosity I asked why, and she said she won the lottery in Spain. I asked her if she had ever been to Spain or if she bought a ticket. She said no, but that they emailed her and said she won and she had to give them her account info. I had to break her heart and tell her she was stupid. (I didn't actually say that to her )

There was another situation where a couple had an apartment for rent. The potential renter from London, England sent them a cheque for $3,000. A couple days later, he emailed them to tell them he had a change of plans, so for their troubles, they could keep $800 and send him the rest. Red flags: 1) Why was a guy from London paying them with an RBC cheque? 2) Why did he request them send the money back to him through Western Union? The couple had their suspicions, but did it anyway. Needless to say, after they sent them the money, the cheque bounced, and they were short part of their mortgage payment.

I haven't had one of these computer calls yet, but I hope I do. I need a good laugh this week.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
FreedomGundam
Freedom, ikimasu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juxtapose519 View Post

I tried to play along for a while. I asked him which card it was and he said he couldn't tell me for security reasons. I asked him to confirm the last 4 digits, and apparently that was a serious "security" risk too. Then I told him I couldn't be sure which one he was talking about, SO HE TOLD ME TO JUST GIVE HIM ALL OF THEM.

Clowns.
When he told you to give you all of them, you should've just followed up with the statement (especially with all the stuff that happened beforehand): "Oh wait, now that I think of it, I don't actually own any credit cards."

TFs and other toys for sale! (last updated: Post-TFCon2018):
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=72568

Custom Double-Detolfs:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47820

Looking for:
- Cybertron Hot Shot
- Cybertron Defense Hot Shot
- G1 Repugnus
- G1 Scowl (with Monstructor foot)
- G1 Icepick small gun
- G1 Fire Guts God Ginrai
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
jourdo
Twitter: @jourdo2k3

I had not heard about this scam before. Time to pass on the warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
There was another situation where a couple had an apartment for rent. The potential renter from London, England sent them a cheque for $3,000. A couple days later, he emailed them to tell them he had a change of plans, so for their troubles, they could keep $800 and send him the rest. Red flags: 1) Why was a guy from London paying them with an RBC cheque? 2) Why did he request them send the money back to him through Western Union? The couple had their suspicions, but did it anyway. Needless to say, after they sent them the money, the cheque bounced, and they were short part of their mortgage payment.
On a similar note: A few years ago, we were moving to a new house and selling off a bunch of stuff on kijiji. I got so many responses from people offering to buy items and overpay for shipping. I was then going to have to send the back the difference. One "cheque" I received was for $5000 for a couple hundred dollar purchase. It was my mission to collect as many of these cheques as possible (I think I got 5 or so). I had no intention of ever cashing any of them, but it was fun to go through the motions with them.

I eventually tried contacting one of those fraud hotlines (fraudbusters?... I can't remember the name) with all of the info I had collected and basically told there was nothing they would do.

Some of these fraudsters are pretty good at what they do. I have to give them credit for that. I do find it sad that people do fall for their tricks though.

If it is too good to be true...

TFCC Runamuck x 3 Achieved! Now looking for Lego Ninjago NRG Jay for Christmas. If you can help, let me know.
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote