Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
mapatel
Generation 1
Re: getting into gundams

As a gundam fan myself, id suggest starting with a couple of hgs, like the ones for gundam wing or seed. Then after that try some MGs. Havnt done Perfect Grade as they re really expensive, although id love to get the PG red frame astray. Have a pair of good plastic nippers handy, they help a lot.As for buying them, HLJ is a really good place.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #12
sideswipe88
Stig's Asian Cousin

You can check my post in the Alberta Sightings Shockwave555, also for price points here, I've seen HGs vary from 20$ (00 Gundam HG) to 45-50ish for bigger ones like ZZ Gundam from personal experience. I can also recommend places in Vancouver like Ages Three and Up, Metropolis comics and toys and the place in crystal mall. But online I've seen places like HLJ (Hobby link Japan) have some very good sales too (Usually 20% depending on availability), so i'd have to recommend there even though I haven't purchased from them.

It's a dangerous world for your wallet out there in the Gundam Universe.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #13
shockwave555
Smart Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideswipe88 View Post
You can check my post in the Alberta Sightings Shockwave555, also for price points here, I've seen HGs vary from 20$ (00 Gundam HG) to 45-50ish for bigger ones like ZZ Gundam from personal experience. I can also recommend places in Vancouver like Ages Three and Up, Metropolis comics and toys and the place in crystal mall. But online I've seen places like HLJ (Hobby link Japan) have some very good sales too (Usually 20% depending on availability), so i'd have to recommend there even though I haven't purchased from them.

It's a dangerous world for your wallet out there in the Gundam Universe.
great...another thing to tac onto the hell my wallet already goes through. locally tommy's store is good priced? does he have sd/rg/hg?
Old 07-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
Sureshot22
look behind you. tee hee
Sureshot22's Ebay Auctions

ive personally dealt with tatsuhobby.com a bunch and they are great and have some really funky garage kits also.

their customer service is awesome also. i had a kit that had a piece broken out of the box and they got me the broken piece and shipped it to me for free no trouble.

oh and i would KILL for a PG freedom. its one of my personal favs. and a pg unicorn or banshee would be bought on sight.
or any of the 00 gundams in pg. like the seravee or virtue those would rock.

PSN ID: SURESHOT22

FEEDBACK THREAD http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=9366

Last edited by Sureshot22; 07-19-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Sureshot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
BluMetalMonkey
Generation 1

Welcome to Gundam Models....your piggy bank will so not like you now =P

I only buy Gundams online these days and usually it's from Hobbywave.com or HLJ.

As far as a starting point, that really depends on you and your comfort level. HGs might be a good starting point depending on your model kit building experience. Go for something simple so you can get comfortable and then go from there. The older MGs are bit easier than the newer ones.

As far as paint goes, you can find lots of translations online these days but I would recommend www.mech9.com as his translations tend to be pretty close. As far as brands of paint, Mr. Hobby Color will usually match with what is in the instructions but I find lacquer based paints to be difficult to use. Tamiya is another good option and with their acrylics, if you make a mistake you can clean it off and start again. I wish Aqueous Hobby Color was still around in the North American market though, as that paint was awesome to work with.

Good luck =)
BluMetalMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:05 AM   #16
Deception
Crossover

mg kits are a good size, there's a lot of detail even if you don't paint it. a gundam marker, which is all i use brings out a lot of detail alone. i don't think mg kits are that much harder to build compared to hg. it's just more parts and it takes longer. hg usually are about 20-30$ and mg goes for 50-70
Deception is offline   Reply With Quote