Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Window
Robot Master
Re: Ridiculous Transformer prices

Prices are pretty bad and have had some of the resellers admit to me that they don't even go to retail, they get it right off the back of the truck and just pay associates so really whose fault is it?

Ultimately its the corruption of that link in the chain that is causing the problem.
Window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Agreed, but sometimes you gotta strike when the iron is hot -- stay on top of those preorders, support our sponsors instead of scalpers!! -- generally I pay fair market value, but from time to time I've paid extra (but yeah, MP Grimlock for $250 is insane!!!)

In particular, I find we talk a lot about what were willing to pay. We see a prototype of a 3rd party figure like Shockwave and say "I'd be willing to pay $200 for that!". I think this is a bad idea to say how much you'll pay. Keep your cards close to your chest.

And you're right, be patient!!!
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
Goaliebot
All Makes and Models

Also agree with Jove about 3rd party. I was fine to pay $50 each for the FP insecticons, but now it seems the new 3rd party price point is $100 a figure. That's gone beyond my limit.

The real key to us all resisting paying outrageous scalper prices is being willing to live without a figure. That can be super hard to do, especially when we're determined to complete a line or set.
Do you have Perfect Effect Powermaster Prime upgrades PC-15 (little Ginrai dude) and PC-16 (transforming Prime cab) - or Fans Hobby Powerbaser - and you want some hard-to-get MISB ER / TR figures (the 3 ER Coneheads, Runamok, TR Twin Twist & Top Spin)? PM me if you're interested in working out a trade!
Goaliebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
justprime
Animated

Don't support third party prices and they will either drop due to poor sales or just stop producing altogether (then you can count on Hasbro to supply figures your looking for "LOL") as third party is not mass producing like Hasbro the cost per piece is quite high and that determins production run and cost,.. some of you should try to produce a figure,.. just 100 pieces and see what it costs then maybe you would see a different point of veiw compared to a mass production in another country for peanuts in labor at bulk pricing for material,...realy most third party is reasonable,... bottom line if your not happy with the price don't buy or wait for the sale,... just as simple as that
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

Supply and demand, if mp grimlock is selling for 250, then he's worth that, just the way it goes. I keep on top of my preorders, and if I know I want a figure, 3rd party or otherwise, get it right away. Once in a while, they go on sale later. But not very often

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #16
Commandoclone87
Seeker

I agree with the above as well. Some of these figures are being sold at way more than they're worth.

I really don't think that the Energon Bruticus figure is worth even near as much as people have been selling him, especially with the Asia Rerelease. Even with the FP add-ons, I can't see him being worth more than $200-$250, but have seen people asking as much as $500 or more.

As for deluxes at retail now, most I'll pay is a $5 markup for a figure that isn't widely available yet, but it has to be one in high demand.

Older figures though, I'm willing to make a few exceptions for. $40 for Inferno? sure. $100 for Skywarp? GTFO.

Unfortunately, we can't control the prices that others will sell and pay for, so if we want to see lower prices, we will have to start right here with our own sales. If we start undercutting the scalpers and stop buying from them, they will either have to adapt and lower prices or move onto something different.
Commandoclone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #17
Protoman
The Legend

I've said it here, I've said it in the podcast and I am going to say it again; people are stupid with their money and the only way to truly succeed in this hobby is to be patience.

MP Grimlock? Let those idiots put it on ebay for $200+, one day your chance will come for less then $100 and all will be well.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #18
S.A.A.M.
Beast Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I believe the Ferengi say it best with something along the lines of the only true value of a collectable being what you can get someone to pay for it.
There is truth to this, I admit. But now I will always compare scalpers to Ferengis and I would never do business with a Ferengi.
S.A.A.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #19
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliebot View Post
The real key to us all resisting paying outrageous scalper prices is being willing to live without a figure. That can be super hard to do, especially when we're determined to complete a line or set.
This is my sentiment.

And as said before patience is key. It took me 10 years to finally get a hold of a TM2 Blackarachnia because I wasn't willing to pay the eBay price for one. In fact, I'd given up on the idea of owning one, and then one day, boom, there she is sitting in a display case, near-mint, for half the going price on eBay.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #20
Batman
The Dark Knight

It's all about supply and demand. Not much point in getting worked up about it. You guys think Transformers are bad? Look at the Blu Ray Steelbook market. People will always spend stupid amounts of money on things they want.