Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 08-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions
REMATCH: Maketoys Yellow Giant VS TFC Hercules UPGRADED

Ladies and Gents, welcome to this follow-up of the match of the century.

Maketoys Yellow Giant VS TFC Hercules

For those who wants a recap on the fight, you are welcome to go see the following link here:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=39728

Why do we need a rematch of these two colossal robot Gods? Well because we like it, but mostly because today I got TFC's Upgrade kit for HERCULES

TODAY'S REMATCH: Maketoys Yellow Giant VS TFC Hercules UPGRADED

Does TFC-007 RAGE OF THE HERCULES Upgrade kit is worth it? Does it outclass Maketoys Yellow Giant?

Let's See Right now!

I will not go into the boring details of the Box and packaging... TFC, like all others third party all are pros and does great packaging... The content, beside the upgrade kit, comes with :
-2 changeable faces (altho I received 3... must be an error 'cuz I had 2 blank faces).
-new visor...well pretty sure its the same but fits on new head... but I cant compare because I lost my original ones)
-Poster of the Box art cover... I like it but I'm disappointed, it really should've been a "New art" not just the box cover but that's just me)
-New Head which I really like. The new head is slightly different than the original, I really like it, it looks more like G1-ish
-Forearms & connectors, I'll get back to those later...
-New gun that is in 2 pieces. the canon can be used as a gun for the robots, and the handle... and rest of the canon ca... I dunno... it doesn't really look like anything without the barrel...
-instructions: d'uh!

Here's the first look once assembled *minus the glasses

I love the new head, the angry face is awesome, adds a lot of personality.

The Reason I really wanted to have that upgrade kit was because on my TFC Hercules both Exgraver & Neckbreaker's waists (TFC Hercules's elbows) were really loose and he could barely hold his guns straight pointing... so I figured, those new forearms and elbows would be tighter and will fix the looseness problem.

Here you can see he's got the crane arm attached to his forearm...

But you have no idea how long it took me to make him hold it without smashing his face to the ground. Sure the elbows are better than before with the new forearms & elbows... but they are still not perfect enough to hold the crane pointing. The rotation of the arms is very loose and spins way too easily. For example, if you position his arms at 45-90 degrees, and you have a weapon in hand... or anything he could have in hand that adds minimum weight on it, the arm will spin to the side where gravity will take it.

On the other hand, TFC Hercules does look more bulky, and more G1-ish with the upgrade. But I really love the original way he was, I really loved the clever use of Exgraver & Neckbreaker's threads to make the forearms... it was pure genius. Now... he still looks good, still looks more bulky, but now just really look like he just have a bulldozer & digger tacked on his shoulder. I know, he always was like that originally back in the 80s, but I still think TFC nailed it with the natural evolution of Threads for the forearms.

What you people think, here's a comparison: TFC Hercules Upgraded, Maketoys Yellow Giant & Original TFC Hercules all side-by-side

Both Before and After I think he looks good. Really.

Now here's where the Upgrade Kit will lose a lot of points... it sadden me a lot. Its all cool and awesome when he's in Giant Mode... but what about when you have the robots separated or in vehicle mode? MAN that upgrade kit was NOT thought out to be part of the set if it wasnt to be TFC Hercules. Seriously it's bad... no it's worst...

In robot, the forearms can be used into a somewhat rocket pod... it's ok... its huge but ok it's fine:

But what about the connector pieces? You could tack in like so... looks bad but...

..But it's not as bad as this:

WTF can it be used? I noticed that at the bottom of the connector there's 2 tabs/pins and underneath there's a bigger pin the size of the crane's pin

I sincerely have no idea what they are for. I noticed the 2 smaller pins fits Perfectly on the side of the forearms... but... thats what it looks like:

And in vehicle mode? Holy shit WTF is that really??

No Idea... really... at Least Maketoys Yellow Giant made so that the forearms are both trailers for the vehicles modes and jet packs/jackhammer weapons for the robots. TFC-007 RAGE OF THE HERCULES is exclusively for Hercules, not the smaller bots or vehicles mode. Which is a damn shame.

Final Thoughts:

Get TFC-007 RAGE OF THE HERCULES Upgrade kit IF:
-Like Me, Exgraver & Neckbreaker's waist were loose and he couldnt hold his arms foward.
-Want TFC Hercules to look more Bulky, more G1-ish
-Think TFC Hercules looks Way much super more awesome than he was originally with the upgrade.

Otherwise, I personally do not think it is really worth it. To me, the original and the upgraded are very nice and I love their look a lot. Still that upgrade is just 30$ at Robotkingdom... it's really not much.

It all comes down to taste, and if you have 30$ to dish out for it.

I love that head, "YARRRRRR"
Old 08-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Akroyer
Nexus Maximus
Re: REMATCH: Maketoys Yellow Giant VS TFC Hercules UPGRADED

Wow, really not liking that face though..

Akroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Matrix_Holder
The chosen one

I want to see a comparison of the Hercules with the upgrade and the Maketoys Green Giant (the one that I bought).
Hercules does look alot more G1 than he did before.
Matrix_Holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Sureshot22
look behind you. tee hee
Sureshot22's Ebay Auctions

looks great i want it.

PSN ID: SURESHOT22

FEEDBACK THREAD http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=9366
Sureshot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
chans formers
raff ow roud

i like the overall beefyness of the upgraded hercules.the new "raging" head kinda looks funny though,i swear i see robo-teeth

nice reviews mang!!
Old 08-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Pascal
Banned

I had a bit of interest in the new face, but overall, this whole kit is more a downgrade kit than an upgrade kit to me. Hercules was perfectly integrated and now this kit gives him a bunch of parts that have no real use in uncombined modes. Great pics though. I'm still debating whether I should sticker my Hercules or not.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
Crobot91
Metroplex

I'm personally not a fan of the upgrade set 'cause it makes him look out of whack proportionally. The arms are too high; the elbow joints are level with his chest; should be much lower. Doesn't work IMO...
Old 08-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
Slave
Energon
Slave's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I'm still debating whether I should sticker my Hercules or not.
You should... I really LOVE his look from Reprolabel... the purple barrel, and the chest shield is simply superb.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
Nullray
IGC

I think the kit look good. It is unfortunate that it does really support the alt mode but I figure they really didn't have that in mind when creating it. Just wanted to make the arms more G1 stylish. Overall I like the bot mode. Just curious. The peg slots look very generic. Could you peg them downwards to lower the shoulder joints or is it just one way?
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
pud333
Animated

Still prefer the Yellow Giant. The look, the cost, the size. Love it.

pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote