Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
Grimtron
Generation 2
Hasbro vs Mastermind creations Predaking/Feral Rex

Hasbro got me excited when they announced that they will be reissuing predaking. When I was checking for pre-orders I stumbled upon mastermind creations feral rex (predaking) and it looks amazing, especially the two figures to make the combiner on pre-order.

At the moment, I am leaning towards getting feral rex, but I am a complete noob when it comes to third party sellers, but I do have questions since I mainly had Hasbro transformers as a kid.

Questions:
1. What is mastermind creations reputation with making toys (good, bad, QC issues etc.)?
2. Why do mastermind creations toys expensive compared to Hasbro?
3. Is it worth spending 500$ getting feral rex or spend 120$ to get Hasbro's version.

Last edited by Grimtron; 07-03-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Grimtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
big dawg
Energon
Re: Hasbro vs Mastermind creations Predaking/Feral Rex

MMC is quite a reputable third party company. Their Predaking will put the hasbro one to shame. The only reason to buy the hasbro one over feral rex (aside from the cost) would be if you had some sentimental attachment to the original predaking. Although for $120 it is a good price (coming from the guy buying both the hasbro and MMC versons of PK)

EDIT- also keep in mind TFC and Unique Toys are both making their own versions of predaking as well so you may want to check them out
big dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
STI 2NV
Energon

Buy both.

MMC had a rocky start but have delivered some very promising figures. a few of which I have and close friends have, IE Cyclopes and the seekers to name a few.

Even though I am buying the Feral Rex set I will still be keeping my early 2000's reissue Predaking which in my opinion is still the best G1 toy accurate set around.
STI 2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
razin
Canadian Slag
Send a message via MSN to razin

If you are not a diehard G1 collector and have the cash, MMC is prob the way to go. MMC is a reputable 3P company.

Personally, I love my 2010 Reissue Predaking, but I also love G1 (my primary collection) so it was no brainer to get it when it was released.
razin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #5
ryceball89
Decepticlown

Is the 30th Anniversary Predaking expected to be the same as the 2010 version?
ryceball89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Grimtron
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dawg View Post
MMC is quite a reputable third party company. Their Predaking will put the hasbro one to shame. The only reason to buy the hasbro one over feral rex (aside from the cost) would be if you had some sentimental attachment to the original predaking. Although for $120 it is a good price (coming from the guy buying both the hasbro and MMC versons of PK)
I never owned predaking or have any attachments to G1 figures, except devastator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dawg View Post
EDIT- also keep in mind TFC and Unique Toys are both making their own versions of predaking as well so you may want to check them out

As I said I am noob with 3 party toy makers, so I got to check out TFC and Unique toy reputation, but I did hear TFC had a nice Devastator
Grimtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
chroma23
douchebag

MMC is okay, but are prone to first-production-run mishaps though

besides the total (high) cost for feral rex, you have to consider the fact that it will likely take a year for them to release all members, unless they intend to release them week by week which i think is practically impossible. we saw the prototype of hexatron (sixshot) at tfcon last year and a year now and its (kinda) still not released, so for MMC and any 3rd party toy, if you want the whole set, patience is required

BST on cybertron.ca: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=47234
FEEDBACK on cybertron.ca: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=16129
chroma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
agesthreeandup
Energon Supplier

I was able to play around with some of the Feral Rex figures this weekend at Botcon and they are IMPRESSIVE. MMC did a great job in design and their overall functionality. These far surpass the Cyclops in design and construction. This set will be a win for MMC IMO.

I am unimpressed with the gold that was shown on the Hasbro Predaking set. I prefer the original yellow colour that was used on the first reissue of Predaking and of course on the original G1 toys. That is just me of course, there are many that differ in the yellow vs gold opinion.

The G1 Predaking is a very impressive figure. Good weight, solid combined mode and sold individual modes. That being said, they are G1 so remember, you are getting the articulation and possibility of G1. If you figure just stands straight on a shelf then no worries. If you prefer a dynamic pose, then prepare to be disappointed. Feral Rex will be poseable, both individual robot modes and in its combined mode. MMC's Rex is going to be a monster!

Hope some of those points help in making a decision. As long as price is not your deciding factor. If price is, then you would have no chose by Hasbro.

As for Unique Toys or TFC, I think the TFC will be close to their other releases. Solid toys with OK design and articulation. They won't have the detail that MMC does and that makes them a perfect mid point between Hasbro and MMC. Unique toys, they are smaller and I have heard the construction is not as good as they could be. I have not had them in hand so I can't confirm any of that, it is just what I have heard.

Hope that helps.

Ages Three and Up
www.agesthreeandup.ca
agesthreeandup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Detective Barricade
Beasty
Send a message via MSN to Detective Barricade Send a message via Skype™ to Detective Barricade

MMC is one of the best third party companies out there, right up there with FansProject. They had a...somewhat rough start, but have since more than proven their trustworthiness time and time again. Feral Rex will NOT disappoint, even if it ends up being the last of the three 3P Predakings to be complete. Unfortunately for you, when Talon (Divebomb) and Bovis (Tantrum) first went up they had an early bird special for a couple weeks each where they dropped $20 off the price, and said specials are long since over with. They might do these for Leo Dux, (Razorclaw) Tigris, (Rampage) and Fortis (Headstrong) when those go up, so keep an eye out.

Unique Toys is the underdog in this 'competition', as this is their first project. War Hawk (Divebomb) and Ironhead (Headstrong) are already out, and while War Hawk had its reported...issues, Ironhead seems to show that UT is trying to up their game.

TFC has already done Hercules, based on Devastator, and is working on Uranos, based on Superion. Ares, what they're calling their Predaking, seems to share some similar design elements with those for better or for worse. Thing is, they've left a...bit of a sour taste in some people's mouths due to some issues and things with Uranos so far. And given Rage of the Hercules and the upcoming Wing of the Uranos sets, don't be surprised to find out that you've gotta drop even more money after completing Ares for a 'Fang of the Ares' to make him more G1-like if you go the TFC route.

Feedback: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=40226

Current wants: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=48339
Detective Barricade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
F4l4nx
Machine War

Put it this way. Even Hasbro has had ridiculous quality control issues lately.
F4l4nx is offline   Reply With Quote