Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Xmann1076
Generation 2
Question about figure selection - Animated Bruticus

Hey All,

After dragging me feet on doing anything custom, and finally giving in and starting with repaints, I've decided to work on something larger.

Much larger actually. I've decided to make a custom Bruticus in Animated style. I've started my figure selection, and wanted to run some of my ideas by you other kitbashers, too check if I'm on the right track. It is my first really big project, after all.

I'm trying to maintain the overall animated asthetic, but have run into a problem. Specifically, no Brawl. But before I get to the specifics of that, let me fill you in on my vision. First of all, my Bruticus is not going to have the usual 'Hammerspace' addons to make the limbs combine. Everthing is going to engineered into the figures. Goona be a pain, but it's a personal pet peeve. I've got much of the concept engineering done on it, and it's actually looking to be OK with the figures I've selected.

Onslaught is going to be a simple repaint, and in fact the simplest figure of the lot. I'm repainting an Ultra Magnus I bought secondhand. Works well, the combination engineering will fit within him as is, and the headmaster gimick area will give me a location to mount the Bruticus head (heck, if I can lay hands on one, I might just remold it)

Actually, I take back onslaught being easiest. I'm using Swindle as is. in fact, if you've got one, you can put him in limb mode. just make him a jeep, and fold out the back end, swindle's feet while they're stuck together.

For Vortex I'm thinking of either an activator Megatron (never seen the figure in person, but I'm hoping to at TFCon) or using a Cyberton mode Optimus Prime with a slight remold and alternate transformation.

This brings me to my wall. Since I'm using deluxe class (or size equivelent) for my limbs, I need a tank in that scale that will be remoldable into an animated asthetic. Either that or some kind of remold that I can work to turn someone into a Brawl. Any suggestions? And what do you think of the concept stage so far? I'm slowly accuiring figures for this, so maybe some mock ups to come.

Deadpool ties up vegetarians and force feeds them meatloaf.

Now I ask you, which one is better?
Xmann1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Xmann1076
Generation 2
Re: Question about figure selection - Animated Bruticus

ROFL I type a wall of text and still I forget things! The role of Blast Off will be played by a slightly remodeled Jetstorm...or Jetfire, whichever I can find easily and inexpensively.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
venksta
Render Project Creations

Could you mod Blitzwing into a deluxe size figure? Or convert the deluxe 2-pack, Cybertronian Megatron into Brawl. Activator Megatron for Vortex sounds too small.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Mighty_Galvatron
Canadian Slag

I have no customizing skills that I know of. But,

I think Activator Megatron will be too tiny for what you have in mind. He is very small when you see him in person. For the tank, I would look into Movie Deluxe Brawl or even one of the tanks that came packaged with RotF Bruticus Maximus. Deluxe Brawl has always looked like he could be repainted into the Animated-style to me for some reason.

Good luck.
Mighty_Galvatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
GrimlockGT
His car is a Transformer

Blitzwing is a good choice if you could remove his Jet alt mode. He is quite tall in robot mode though.
What about Cybertron Ratchet for Brawl. He could be made to resemble a tank, maybe...
GrimlockGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
venksta
Render Project Creations

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimlockGT View Post
Blitzwing is a good choice if you could remove his Jet alt mode. He is quite tall in robot mode though.
What about Cybertron Ratchet for Brawl. He could be made to resemble a tank, maybe...
Now that you mentioned Cyb. Ratchet, I think he would make a better Brawl. Hes got like treads anyways.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
CyberMnky
Animated

Cybertron Ratchet would probably be your best bet i think, though a modified Blitzwing might work.
Activators Megatron is gonna be way too small though - Activators are scout sized at best.

If you are reading this then you must be bored...

CyberMnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
Ultra Maverick
The Bow Tie Guy

What about a modified Lugnut, would he work as Vortex?
I know he's a voyager but the figure is actually quite short. Should also be an easy one to pick up as the atomic lugnuts are warming the shelves at every toysRus in my area.
Ultra Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #9
Xmann1076
Generation 2

Hmm, I never thought of cybertornian mode Ratchet....... He'd make a real nice Brawl <evil grin> and I like the idea of customizing a hard to get figure! lol

As for Vortex, I think I'm gonna have to look long and hard at old luggy boy, and see if he can fit scale and incorperate a functioning limb mode.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #10
Uberman
Energon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmann1076 View Post
Hmm, I never thought of cybertornian mode Ratchet....... He'd make a real nice Brawl <evil grin> and I like the idea of customizing a hard to get figure! lol

As for Vortex, I think I'm gonna have to look long and hard at old luggy boy, and see if he can fit scale and incorperate a functioning limb mode.

I think Lugnut might work really well, actually. He doesn't have much of a hand, per se, but if you remove the hammer, flip his legs out, keep his nose-cone popped down [like in robot mode], and invert his wings he looks fairly arm-ish, with [slight] elbow articulation. And there's a place below the front landing gear to install a fairly inconspicuous connection joint, potentially.

EDIT: Hell, if you just take the hammer off and flip his knee-pads down, you've got a claw sorta deal anyways. No elbow, though.

Last edited by Uberman; 06-02-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Uberman is offline   Reply With Quote