Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 01-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
dees
Beasty
Transformers G1 series dvds

hey all

just wondering if there's a difference between the new g1 dvd sets coming out now compared to the silver covered sets from rhino, released about 8 years ago.
dees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Batman
The Dark Knight
Re: Transformers G1 series dvds

-The packaging and special features are different. All 5 of Rhino's sets come with animation cells, only season 1 of the Shout factory ones comes with magnets (or the matrix box set).

-Cost. Rhino's sets may be cheaper now, but when they first came out they retailed for about $59.99-$69.99 in Canada. The shout ones gor for about $19.99 - $29.99.

-Rhino remastered the video from the pre broadcast versions of he show because the masters (the ones that aired) were toast. This meant that there were way more errors in the video that were corrected for the broadcast version originally, which had to be corrected again. Personally I think Rhino did a pretty good job, but there are hard cores who insist that they failed.

Shout! basically did the same thing, but fixed the mistakes Rhino forgot or never noticed (still forgetting some themselves) and went the extra mile and reintegrated some of the master footage into some segments of the episodes. Now there are some errors that made it into the master tapes and Shout! decided it was best to not correct them and to leave them as close to as they were originally aired as possible.

-Rhino remastered the audio and added in some extra sound effects. Shout! just remastered the audio and did not add anything in.

I only watched through the Rhino set once and for the most part, it was exactly how I remembered it as a kid. I also bought the new Shout! Matrix boxset and have gone through about 1/4 of it. In all honesty, I didn't notice any of the differences until someone pointed it out and I didn't really care either. Both look really great, but in the end I do think the Shout! sets are superior.

Info about Rhino releases:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Kid_Rhino

Info about Shout releases:

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Shout!_Factory
Old 01-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
dees
Beasty

thanks for the info!

i already own all the rhinos, so i was wondering if it was worth it to pick up the new sets, but i guess i'll just spend that money on more toys.
dees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Pascal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustajesse View Post

-Cost. Rhino's sets may be cheaper now, but when they first came out they retailed for about $59.99-$69.99 in Canada.
I've even seen them selling for $99.99 at HMV back then.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Evan
Nexus Maximus

And let's not forget that Shout! Factory's Matrix Set includes footage from TFcon Toronto in the bonus feature "The Autobots, The Decepticons, and the Fans." And the wiki page says that this will also be included in the Season 3/4 set (which only seems logical).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I've even seen them selling for $99.99 at HMV back then.
Yeah, I remember that too. When the sets first came out they were cheaper, but afterwards the price seemed to skyrocket. I would assume this was due to stores ordering multiple copies for the initial release, and later only ordering a few for restocking, thus making them more expensive.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
justprime
Animated

I find the shout version to be the best ( with exception of the Japanese releases a few years back which were quite good) better than Rhinos......I found that the colors were more vibrant and that they reverted to the original audio tract ( mostly) still missed some of the animation mistakes but this just added to the original feel of the series.... got ride of those horrific sound extras that Rino had added.... they are vary close to original air episoids I even compared them to the old FHE episoids released at the time (on tape).....also to see the extras on the discs.... especially the reunion of voice artists and the booklet(episoid guide) included made this well worth the purchase,... nice box too
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote