Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 06-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #31
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus
Re: Un"Encore"able

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post
But then they have re-issued/are re-issuing Lazerbeak/Buzzsaw and Ratbat, all of these have seen KO treatments. I hope we will see these 2 guys in Encore cassettes vol. 3...
This is true, but they've been reissuing Buzzsaw/Laserbeak and Ravage for years along with their various soundwave reissues, so I don't think they see these guys as moneymakers, they're more like expected soundwave accessories.

I have to admit, I was surprised at ratbat (although I still don't think he's as widely KOed as the others). But notice that he's packed with one of the two decepticon dinos (slugfest?), and steeljaw/ramhorn, who have not been KOed to me knowledge. So when you average them out like that, it's more likely to sell. Same with the first package of cassettes: Rewind/Eject (who aren't widely available to my knowledge) packaged with ravage/Buzzsaw (more widely KOed.). That's my theory of it anyways.

Edit: Crap, when did I hit 1,000 without noticing it?

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!

Last edited by Bruticus82; 06-03-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #32
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Well said...indeed, the molds are WAY more sophisticated than people imagine...I design plastic parts for a living and have comissioned many molds and watched them running.

Warning: long, technical post...not for the faint of heart!

There are probably a few things needed to re-create those molds:

For the Plastic/rubber parts

-technical drawings (2d drawings with dimensions, design details, tolerances so joints aren't too loose or don't bind)
-patterns (sometimes hand-sculpted features that are transferred with specialized equipment--basically imagine a person running a precise pointer over the pattern that is connected to an arm that runs a cutter for the steel...a sort of spyro-graph device...and this arm can be used to 'up-size' or 'down-size' from the orginal pattern. Many KOs are made using machines of this nature; they use the Takara toy as the pattern instead of the original and scale it up or down)
-Electrodes which are machined from copper or carbon and used to burn/etch cavities into the tooling steel. The electrodes are VERY important part of the tool...some of the parts I've designed are created in tooling ONLY by electrodes (as opposed to patterns). There are often dozens of them and they need to be stored carefully, catalogued and numbered. They would be very easy to loose. Modern electrodes are machined by a computer operated machine so they are virutally identical to what has been created via 3DCAD (computer aided design software)
-important note--when they etch or burn cavities they need to make them a little bigger than the final part because plastic shrinks during molding. Different plastics shrink at different rates. And we wonder why those KOs have such crappy joints!?
-tooling design which includes parting lines, ejector pins, moving cores, water cooling, and all sorts of sophisticated engineering to allow the tool to run on a rather large (couple of car lengths) machine lightly assisted by an operator.
-also of interest--some of the older Takara molds may require adaptors or special fittings to run on modern injection molding machines! Either that or they have ANCIENT molding machines lying around...

Metal parts (die cast)

Again, they really need all the drawings and specifications originally developed to make the toy work.

Die casting relies even more on patterns...patterns are used to create cavities in rather thin-shelled molds, then joined together in a sort of tree with a runner system...and several die cast parts are made at once. Some are spun or rotated as the motel metal is poured in to ensure filling.

My two cents? They aren't doing as many reissues as we'd like because they simply won't make enough money off these old designs.

The vast majority of consumers expect reissues to cost a similar amount to mainline toys (animated, movie) and they simply can't because they are making far fewer and have less opportunities to run them in the future with repaints.

Feel free to tell me if this is too much information.

People who are deeply interested in these processes should check out the TV show "how it's made" airing on Discovery on a fairly regular basis. They show how common consumer products are manufactured in volume. Very cool stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
As you see above, you can reverse engineer molds. But I'm told it's very expensive to do it properly. If you do it cheaply, you end up with molds that don't have as much detail as the original, especially in panel lines and things like that.

When we say mold we're not talking about the little silicon molds people make for resin, these are metal molds, heavy duty for manufacturing machines. They cost tens of thousands of dollars (or so I'm told).

It's just not worth them to spend the money to remake a mold just for a small group of adult collectors who want a reissue. There are not enough of us to justify the costs, or so we're told.

Despite what we think about all the tf fans we have, the truth is they need to sell new lines, even classics universe 2.0, to little kids and other people or they don't make enough money. Without little kids buying toys, there would be no market for us at all. Even then they usually end up releasing repaints to try and make back the costs associated with making the mold, prototype, design, etc. Reissues wouldn't have some of these costs, but the substantial molding costs have to be spread over the number of units they sell, and they just can't sell enough.

Need proof? Look at the habsro g1 reissues. What price did they go down to on clearance?
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:03 AM   #33
dees
Beasty

That's awesome info. Thanks, guys.
dees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:59 AM   #34
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

That pretty cool and Informative ... didn't try to understand all of it but got the jist of what's involved. You learn something new every day..hahha.
Sun Swipe Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #35
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

*Bows to the Master.*

Thank you Echotransformer!

I'll risk asking a stupid quetsion though, so for something like, G1 Wheeljack, would they just have made one mold, shipped it to the factory, and if something went wront it was lost forever? Or would they create a few molds at the same time so as one breaks/wears out they could replace it? Also that way multiple factories could manufacture the product at the same time? (I'm thinking that would apply more to something like the original seekers where the molds were identical, just different colours.)

I'm just imagining if you only had one mold, it would take a very long time to make 1 million Wheeljacks, or whatever you were making.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!

Last edited by Bruticus82; 06-04-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #36
Batman
The Dark Knight

I'm pretty Happy with what Hasrbo and Takara have reissued over the years. Luckily the things they are unable to reissue, they have been making excellent updates (Classics Jetfire, Classics Mirage, Universe Sunstreaker etc.) I am really hoping they make an updated Shockwave and Sixshot one day.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #37
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Actually that's a pretty good question, so good I can't answer for sure.

One of our programs started with just one mold...it made 4 identical parts at once. It takes about 1 minute to mold 1 set. We mold them in 4 different colors, then bag them in a special machine. For our initial volumes (not 1 million parts, but in the low hundred-thousands, we needed only one tool to meet demand). The tooling was very reliable, so we only had one--and compensated with some 'safety stock' should the tool have to go for repair.

Later, as volumes escalated, and even 'round the clock' couldn't meet peak demand, we built a second tool with some minor refinements. Again, because the tool was successful, the basic engineering was identical and they run interchangably on molding machines.

It's pretty unlilkely Takara would have two different mold shops for a single design...and even though it seems like there's a lot of G1 out there, I'd say reasonably unlikely they had enough demand to justify more than one set. Perhaps their mold shop was a contract manufacturer, or business unit. Maybe when G1 ended they destroyed the molds. Maybe they mothballed them and they deteriorated. Maybe things went sour (from a relations standpoint) and they no longer did business with Has/Tak. The possiblities are endless.

One of my running theories are that some KOs are actually run off the original tooling...it's just that they aren't properly commissioned by Has/Tak.

--Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruticus82 View Post
*Bows to the Master.*

Thank you Echotransformer!

I'll risk asking a stupid quetsion though, so for something like, G1 Wheeljack, would they just have made one mold, shipped it to the factory, and if something went wront it was lost forever? Or would they create a few molds at the same time so as one breaks/wears out they could replace it? Also that way multiple factories could manufacture the product at the same time? (I'm thinking that would apply more to something like the original seekers where the molds were identical, just different colours.)

I'm just imagining if you only had one mold, it would take a very long time to make 1 million Wheeljacks, or whatever you were making.
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote