Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 02-22-2017, 06:20 PM   #1
GotBot
Nexus Maximus
Why Toy Fair 2017 was much more dissappointing than I'd hoped!

Now that the excitement of Toy Fair is over, I must admit, I am left feeling "blah" in a lot of ways. While there were sure a few cool reveals, I felt like there were many strategic misteps. On the good side, there are a bunch of figures "revealed" that I have already reviewed, such as Slash, Slug, technically Drift, Grimlock, Crosshairs...kinda, well, the Hot Shot repaint, and, most importantly, Cosmos (Who admittedly is fantastic). Hopefully you were thrilled, but find out why I wasn't and see if it affects your perspective or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h4KX3lgM0Y
GotBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions
Re: Why Toy Fair 2017 was much more dissappointing than I'd hoped!

Well, sucks you feel that way. And that's fair.

Myself, TAKE ALL MY MONEY AHHHHHHH

Well, for Titans Return. Fuck the movie.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:08 PM   #3
MastaP
Generation 2

This is the transformers fandom. People have been loudly complaining that they are disappointed in everything constantly for the last 30 years.

Why would I want to watch a video with even more of it?
MastaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
elburrito
Animated

...and your complaining about the complaining (and now I'm complaining about the complaining about the complaining) love this hobby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaP View Post
This is the transformers fandom. People have been loudly complaining that they are disappointed in everything constantly for the last 30 years.

Sale & Trade

elburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Well to be fair the thread does say he was hoping for toy fair to be disappointing and it exceeded expectation.

I'm just kidding GotBot.

Honestly, it's just the way the hobby works. Some years you want everything. Others you don't. It all averages out for me.

I buy what I like, and I leave the rest for Mike.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
optimusb39
Animated

i just postpone my complaints till theres nothing to buy worth buying and then i use up my complaint jar, breathe and go find something to buy that i missed on from the good releases... then i complain that im broke!
optimusb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #7
Echotransformer
Loves all things G1-ish..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post

Honestly, it's just the way the hobby works. Some years you want everything. Others you don't. It all averages out for me.

I feel the same way, if there is ever a year where there is less I want from Hasbro, I either "back collect" previous lines or open up my wallet to Takara and/or 3rd party...even Steven

That said, I'll admit I was pretty happy with the Toy Fair reveals this year. Probably the only thing I didn't see that I was really hoping for was a Generations Voyager SoundWave and more accurate Generations Huffer.

As for the Movie line...well...meh I'll just get the odd good figure

And as for what I really really wanted...a return of Animated...well hey that's wishful thinking on the best of days, lolzzz.

And besides, DAT Trypticon!!!
Echotransformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:46 PM   #8
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNSrobot View Post
Well, sucks you feel that way. And that's fair.

Myself, TAKE ALL MY MONEY AHHHHHHH

Well, for Titans Return. Fuck the movie.
That's totally fair,lol. I mean, the toys are good, for the most part. Like Metalhawk looks amazing. Trust me, this isn't about the figures. I am a weak man too and so very tempted to yell the age old money statement too,lol.

Quote:

You sure don't have too. And, to be fair, I see your point. I hate being "that guy" but in this one case I really just felt impassioned, not so much about the quality of the toys as the method they are being offered. That's what grinds my gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Swipe Prime View Post
Well to be fair the thread does say he was hoping for toy fair to be disappointing and it exceeded expectation.

I'm just kidding GotBot.

Here's the funny part, for all the years that I have been collecting, I have never felt like the upcoming year is going to be an iffy one. this is a first for me and maybe why I am feeling so...hmm..vocal about the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusb39 View Post
i just postpone my complaints till theres nothing to buy worth buying and then i use up my complaint jar, breathe and go find something to buy that i missed on from the good releases... then i complain that im broke!
Haha, but...I'm always broke,lol, mostly because of my plastic addiction,lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echotransformer View Post
I feel the same way, if there is ever a year where there is less I want from Hasbro, I either "back collect" previous lines or open up my wallet to Takara and/or 3rd party...even Steven

That said, I'll admit I was pretty happy with the Toy Fair reveals this year. Probably the only thing I didn't see that I was really hoping for was a Generations Voyager SoundWave and more accurate Generations Huffer.

As for the Movie line...well...meh I'll just get the odd good figure

And as for what I really really wanted...a return of Animated...well hey that's wishful thinking on the best of days, lolzzz.

And besides, DAT Trypticon!!!
Tryp is totally what is saving this for me, well, him and Overlord, who I actually forgot to mention in my discussion. I think my only issues are two fold, HOW the toys will be released with the boxset and, well, the movieline is a wealth of repeats. I guess good in that I have already reviewed many of them,lol. Still, where's the draw for dinobot repaints? That Barricade though,lol.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #9
Roadhammer
Wrecker

I was actually very well pleased with this year's reveals. Even the movie line looked good, at least the toys that aren't AOE repaints or what-have-you (dat leader Megatron tho). I mean, I LIKED the AOE toyline, I just don't need recolours of toys I already have.

The only problem is the box-sets; I like pretty much everything about them except the price. That's going to be tricky. Individual releases would be great, but it's not the end of the world.

I'm sorry it fell flat for you, though! I do know what that's like. and it's disappointing. Nice thing about ToyFair though is that there's always next year. ^_^
Roadhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:33 PM   #10
GotBot
Nexus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhammer View Post
I was actually very well pleased with this year's reveals. Even the movie line looked good, at least the toys that aren't AOE repaints or what-have-you (dat leader Megatron tho). I mean, I LIKED the AOE toyline, I just don't need recolours of toys I already have.

The only problem is the box-sets; I like pretty much everything about them except the price. That's going to be tricky. Individual releases would be great, but it's not the end of the world.

I'm sorry it fell flat for you, though! I do know what that's like. and it's disappointing. Nice thing about ToyFair though is that there's always next year. ^_^
Yeah, Megs does rock, actually, I like both the Leader and Voyager for him. And the boxsets are tricky price wise, but then so is getting guys in them I would have zero interest otherwise. I don't have bloody storage for that crap lol. I need that space...for Trypticon. It fell flat for me, yes, and as is often the case, I'm in the minority (case and point, I liked generations Tankor...a lot, lol). I digress, I think the rumor mill had me more hyped than U should have been. Maybe that's on me. But, you make an excellent point, there is next year and before that, maybe HasCon?