Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Feedback and Reviews

Old 05-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
GMfan
Robot in Disguise
Generations Wheeljack (w/ Reprolabels)

As some of you can tell...I like this mold. It's based off the Corvette (but this one is aiming for for that Lancia Stratos Turbo look) which is one of my favourite cars, and the fact that they were able to take Tracks and remold him into Wheeljack is nothing short of genius.

Speaking of the remolding, Tracks was heavily modified to make Wheeljack possible. The front end added a "lip", rear end got a spoiler, missiles replaced with exhaust/tools, different "wings" from Tracks, the obvious head change, and a LOT of remolding under the hood to make the legs different to allow the wheels to move down a la G1 Wheeljack and a clipping point for his tools.

Great mold but wasn't a fan of the lack of detailing on him. The stripes looked weak...no numbers on the doors...no sponsor decals...it's understandable that certain things needed to be cut back for the amount of remolding that went into this toy. This is were Reprolabels comes in and saves your bland Wheeljack and turns him damn near perfect.

Hows abouts we does some before/after looks at the robot and vehicle mode? Shall we?

Robot Mode

Before:

After:

From the front the main changes seen are on the chest and the legs. From the back you can see the numbers on the doors, the sponsor stickers on the "backpack" and spoiler. Either way these stickers still add to this figure nicely in robot mode. Looking at the before and after shots really made me realize how simple changes can really make all the difference.

Mold wise the robot mode captures Wheeljack perfectly, down to the shoulder missile launcher, "wings", and of course the iconic head, complete with "glowy ears" that'll light up thanks to light piping.

Vehicle Mode

Before:

After:

Wow...night and friggan day. From the smallest thing like completing the green stripe on the door to the huge covering of the hood with brand new stripes these stickers really delivered.

As you can tell it's pretty much his G1 striping with some new decals while maintaining his classic "Alitalia" ones and good ol' number 539. My only complaint is some times the white on the stickers don't seem to match the plastic but it's not ridiculously off so it's easily overlooked. Thankfully too where it sticks out the most is on the sponsor decals so if anything you can brush it off and believe it's an actual sponsor sticker that was added :P

Moldwise, this figure still has that sexy sports car look and the added lip and spoiler really pull him into that original Wheeljack look. As for his "tools" they become cool little exhaust that comes out under the doors, which look a little nicer then Tracks's missiles that look a little off just hanging off the side of a car.

Conclusion

A great figure was remolded to make an awesome equally great figure that when you look at the 2 side by side it's hard to tell they share a similar origin. The stock paint apps may not be the greatest but as you can tell I'm a huge fan of these easy to obtain reprolabels stickers to really bring him up to par with what an updated G1 Wheeljack should look like. These stickers did more then even Takara tried to with United Wheeljack and even manage to surpass what they concocted with this mold. In conclusion it's a phenomenal toy with weak paint apps, but it can be fixed quite easily. I honestly can't look at the before pics now without thinking the original looks like a cheap KO in comparison to the Reprolabel version.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
racerguy76
Nexus Maximus
Re: Generations Wheeljack (w/ Reprolabels)

The decals make it look fantastic. How hard were some of them to apply? I wonder how they will look in 10 years.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

They were fairly easy to add. The harder ones were the hood due to the size and wanting to line it up perfectly, and the indicator lights which weren't so bad with the aid of a toothpick.

Canadian Slag ...it's a podcast. About robits. Listen to it...cuz you can't watch it.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

The decals look nice but I'm not a big fan of the look of white stickers on white plastic.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
The 12th Prime
Lost count, long time ago
The 12th Prime's Ebay Auctions

Sweet job!
The 12th Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
chans formers
raff ow roud

sooooo jealous!!!
as soon as i get my mitts on this bot i'll be definately going the same route as you did,like you said....night and day
Old 05-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
Tekkamanraiden
G1 Original
Tekkamanraiden's Ebay Auctions

There was something bugging me about this decal set that I couldn't quite figure out. I looked the set up on reprolabels and I've relied what it is.

The first is on the hood near the windshield where the sticker ends. There is a gap that looks funny with out the pin striping of the sticker.

The second is the green part of the hood sticker near the side mirror. It just kinda stops with out finishing anywhere.

I kinda wish they'd either added an extra sticker or two to continue the pin stripping detail or had just not bothered with it. I really like the added detail and will probably pick this set up just for that.

Feedback http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=19772
Tekkamanraiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
UltraMarknus
Springer Fanboy
UltraMarknus's Ebay Auctions

I like everything except the new/additional stripes on the hood and roof. The black outlining just dosen't work for me personally. Otherwise, its great!

My Feedback Thread: http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...t=ultramarknus
UltraMarknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
GMfan
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by chans formers View Post
sooooo jealous!!!
as soon as i get my mitts on this bot i'll be definately going the same route as you did,like you said....night and day
Don't go the same route I did...I had the stickers nearly a month before I had the figure and I was soooo antsy waiting for the figure :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkamanraiden View Post
The first is on the hood near the windshield where the sticker ends. There is a gap that looks funny with out the pin striping of the sticker.
The second point did pop out at me too but didn't bother me much but I will agree about the one part under the windshield...I'll probably paint in the black stripes and one green one myself.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #10
Ultra Maverick
The Bow Tie Guy

Looks great, haven't seen a wheeljack anywhere near Ottawa but when I do I'll definitely pick up the sticker set
Ultra Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generations, reprolabels, review, wheeljack