Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 07-11-2013, 02:12 AM   #11
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero
Re: future Masterpiece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozak View Post
I would love to see Skywarp in the new mold just so I can complete the seeker collection.
Personally, I think an MP-11 mold Skywarp will never be made. In HasTakTomy's eyes they filled that Warper-shaped hole in our MP collections long ago. I've resorted to sticking an MP03 head onto my WM MP SW (so he's got matching red eyes with Coronation SS and TRU MP TC) and calling it a day.

As for an official MP Shockwave weren't there some prototype pics shown at a 'Con recently? Mind you, Quakewave is so well made I'm content with calling him a Masterpiece.

jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #12
DecepticonusPrime
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Filipino View Post
The rumor I've heard through a friend was that neither Hasbro or Takara own the rights to Shockwave, specifically his alt mold, so it would be impossible for them to create a masterpiece figure of him to represent his original G1 form. The closest thing we'll ever get will be Quakewave.
Nah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Toybox, a company that used to be under the Radioshack umbrella for their toy merchendising in the 80s owns the rights. So one would assume that it extends to Radioshack....... which is now owned by Circuit City........... as The Source......... which makes it more complicated.
Clearly, the IP issue is not a concern for either Hasbro or Takara. They own the character - that much is obvious.

They might not be able to release the original G1 MOLD, for the reasons stated above, but a newly designed Shockwave would pose absolutely no problem.

Bear in mind that an MP Shockwave would be entirely different in terms of parts and engineering from the original toy. Essentially, it's not different from releasing the Beast Hunters or Fall of Cybertron version.

Given the character's appearance in multiple media over the last few years, I'd say there's a better than average chance they're gearing up for an MP Shockwave release eventually... After Megatron, and maybe Galvatron, what other new mold, prominent, "big" Decepticon character could they do?

If Takara WANTS to do one, they can. I'm not sure it's a given, but I think more factors point to yes, than no. I'm not 100% sure... but it's enough that I've (thus far) resisted ordering Quakewave.

Quakewave is difficult to resist, though - I'll give you that!

And quite frankly, even regarding the original mold, nothing is "impossible" anyway, even with licensing issues. Just because Takara hasn't been able to release an Encore Shockwave in the past doesn't mean they can't in the future. MP Bumblebee is now on its way, after all.

Quote:
While it's too early, I want a 2nd Rodimus MP. This time, just Hot Rod, re-engineered with the new car price point.
I'm almost certain this is coming, maybe sooner than later.

Hot Rod seems to be a very popular character in Japan, after all.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
DecepticonusPrime
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
Personally, I think an MP-11 mold Skywarp will never be made. In HasTakTomy's eyes they filled that Warper-shaped hole in our MP collections long ago. I've resorted to sticking an MP03 head onto my WM MP SW (so he's got matching red eyes with Coronation SS and TRU MP TC) and calling it a day.
I think Hasbro (or maybe TRU, more so) thinks that way.

I don't think Takara does... I think we'll see both Skywarp AND Thundercracker in the Takara MP line, eventually.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Bruticus
B&K Collectables

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEZaid View Post
If you need a `hot rod` that bad...you know who to ask

What we really need is more Decepticons, all we have is the Seekers, Megatron, and most recently, Soundwave. I want Blitzwing specifically, imagine a triple changing MP...drool*
THIS. I think we need more Decepticons too. There are a bunch that are not even getting noticed that would make awesome MPs. If they are making them true to scale, then an Astrotrain and Octane should be a little taller than MP-10 Prime, while Blitzwing a little shorter. Or how about what everyone wants to see, re-engineered TAK MP Coneheads.

Personally, I would LOVE to see a Scourge, Cyclonus, and Gnaw... Those would be awesome too.

-----------------------------------------------------
Add B&K Collectables to your Facebook HERE

Follow B&K Collectables on your Twitter HERE

Subscribe to the B&K Collectables' newsletter HERE
------------------------------------------------------
Cybertron.ca Feedback Thread --> http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=18760
Bruticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #15
Leozak
Robots in the skies!
Leozak's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
I thought so too but they used the original mold so many times and you'd think they would want to do the same with the new one.. here's hoping
Leozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
Scrapper6
Nexus Maximus

The problems with Masterpiece Decepticons are as follows:

More Decepticons exist as part of combiner teams, and if they don't combine a lot of fans will be put off by them being in the Masterpiece line.

Less Decepticons in general exist from the shows and we won't be getting any Pretenders any time soon.

The big name sellers are always being produced, quite frankly I'd much prefer to see Masterpieces of character we don't get very often start showing up.

Galvatron in his original G1 form would be nice, as would the other movie 'Cons, but how about more of the following?

Insecticons
Reflector
Headmasters
Targetmasters
Japan Only Characters like Leozak or Deathsaurus.
Expanded Masterpiece selections from iconic characters of other continuities. (Sky Bite for one would make an awesome Masterpiece, or Gelshark or whatever his name was. Plus I'd dig owning one.)

Let's face it, if Takara ever made Masterpiece Combiners we'd all be going nuts for them, Devastator alone would have to be spectacularly engineered to blow the 3p attempts out of the water.

I just hope that the eventual Soundblaster repaint won't be some oddball exclusive type.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
DecepticonusPrime
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper6 View Post
Insecticons
Reflector
Headmasters
Targetmasters
Japan Only Characters like Leozak or Deathsaurus.
Expanded Masterpiece selections from iconic characters of other continuities. (Sky Bite for one would make an awesome Masterpiece, or Gelshark or whatever his name was. Plus I'd dig owning one.)
I think this is venturing into the "too obscure for $150 figures" category, though. I mean, look how long it took Takara to be convinced that SOUNDWAVE was worthy, for f's sake.

Even the way the line is going now, I'd still be ecstatic if Takara thought Huffer or Trailbreaker were MP-worthy at this point... or the other Dinobots, for that matter.

I could maybe see them getting to Insecticons or even Reflector at some point, though.

Quote:
I just hope that the eventual Soundblaster repaint won't be some oddball exclusive type.
I think the fact that he was an actual toy released in Japan and character on the Japanese G1 cartoon means he probably will be a regular release. We think of him as an obscure character but that's only because we weren't exposed to him in the old days...
Old 07-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #18
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha

MP triple changers Blitzwing and Astrotrain would be totally awesome.

Also, does the current Circuit City even own the right of Shockwave now? Toybox doesn't even exist as a company now. and I think patents expire after 30 years or something?
Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 AM   #19
DecepticonusPrime
Machine War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cylon View Post
MP triple changers Blitzwing and Astrotrain would be totally awesome.

Also, does the current Circuit City even own the right of Shockwave now? Toybox doesn't even exist as a company now. and I think patents expire after 30 years or something?
Like I said though, the patent or ownership on the original toy means nothing. Every single part on an MP version would be different.

Shockwave would be based on the Intellectual Property, which is clearly owned by Hasbro/Takara, because they keep using it (the G1 version in comics, Robot Heroes, etc. and the character's likeness and name in other lines like Prime, FoC, Animated, films...).
Old 07-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
joshimus
Metroplex

My question is, where is MP Jazz?
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote