Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers Customs and Artwork

Old 12-22-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
joshimus
Metroplex
Question about casting parts

I've been contemplating getting into making my own parts with plastic instead of relying on Super Sculpy but I don't know where to start.
I know Modellers Choice sells the resin I suppose it is for the mold but how do I go about making the mold?
Do you use 3d programs like 3dsmax or just by hand?
As much help on this topic would be appriciated.
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:10 AM   #2
Malwave
Resident Gryphon
Malwave's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to Malwave Send a message via Skype™ to Malwave
Re: Question about casting parts

well...one way is to physically make a copy of what you want to cast. As long as you don't paint it, it should work out fine.
Malwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:13 AM   #3
dak
Master Creator

If you are making one off pieces, or a few duplicates, you need to make a silicon mold of each part you want to make a copy of, then fill that mold with resin or a liquid plastic, and boom there be your part. There is more depth to go, but this just gives you a rough idea of what to expect.

If you are just casting for a single custom, you are almost giving yourself an extra step cause you still need to create that custom piece. I think the bast thing to say is, if you want to duplicate an existing part, replicate a part made, or replicate many parts for an entire figure, then do some casting. If you are just customizing to make one thing.... Might save some cash just doing it the old fashion way.
dak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
Foxw
Founder of BFC group

yeah, casting is not the way to go for "one off"'s.

Only time i'd find it usefull is if your wanting to make a copy of a part to try mod's on, IE not sure which will look/work best and don't want to have to buy a whole nothing bot just for 1 peice.

Casting is best used when your planning to make multiples and need each one to be exactly identical.

If that's what you want, I suggest giving www.alumlite.com a try, for 30 bucks us you can get their small kit, which has more then enough to try small things like Deluxe heads sized parts.
Foxw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
justprime
Animated

I have been casting for many years I started out using silicone molds and aluminite resins (modle builder supply Aurora)..that I found were limited in product line and vary expensive I am currently using a brand made by smoothcast they have a large selection of urathane and silicone for molds and resins from flexable ( toy type plastic) to ridged ,..clear, metalized, coloring for resins...etc they make products that will suit your needs weather making a car body or casting for hobby projects, there is a retail out let in Toronto the store also carries all the information and supplies that you would need as well as friendly help full staff and training coarses as well open Mon to Sat the store is called Sculpture Supply Canada located 345 Munster Ave. Tor...Phone # 866 285 5509 google it and you will get indepth info. hope this helped justprime
justprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
Foxw
Founder of BFC group

Justprime: yes both are really solid good products. The only thing i've noticed is quite frankly, if you have to ship, Alumlite is cheaper.

30 bucks for 28 oz -Alumlite
30 bucks for 16 oz - smooth.

Now granted I will prolly try smoothon myself when my current supply of Alumltie runs out as it easier to just go into the city to pick up stuff
Old 12-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
joshimus
Metroplex

Thanks for the tips everyone. I talked to Modellers Choice and they sell it so I know where I can get it. I'm probably gonna try a few smaller things just to see how it works and how good the quality is. I just bought a Truck Accessories kit (need the mirrors for Prime) and I figured if I can duplicate parts for other customs then it would make buying the 34.00 kit a bit better.
Your help was greatly appriciated
Old 12-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #8
Foxw
Founder of BFC group

Hey Anytime Joshimus, If you have any more questions don't hesitate man.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
joshimus
Metroplex

Thanks. I have some ideas to try out. First will be better mirrors for ROTF Prime then i'm gonna attempt to make USB Ravage hip missles. If they work I may make a bunch for people if they want a set.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:39 PM   #10
joshimus
Metroplex

Well, testing out my first bit of casting. Making the mold with Alumilite quick-set kit (first half) and tomorrow morning i'll do the other side.
I started with new mirrors for ROTF Prime (ones I bought were too tall so I cut them down to proper size) as well as Ravages Missles (for USB Ravage use) and another part I need for prime. I'm hoping it works. REALLY hope it works.
Once the silicone mold is done, hopefully works nicely, then i'll do the cast. Oh boy this should be interesting...