Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 03-25-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
Omegatron
Gen 1
Re: TFcon 2014 Panel Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackmak View Post
Would love to see a 'credited expert' of some sort, or if anything, a VERY knowledgeable, unbiased individual who can discuss the topic of appraising Transformers from all angles (price, condition, historical values, future trends, etc.). Keeping it to Transformers (and not all action figure toys), would allow them to get very specific with old and present toylines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackmak View Post

In addition (or maybe even a different panel), have someone talk about

- protecting toys (types of cases, how to store, etc.)

Licensed appraisers in Canada, and there is indeed a process people go through to become licensed, tend to either be generalists or specialize in a high volume field, like fine art. This is to ensure they have enough work to make a living. You are unlikely therefore to find an appraiser who specializes in Transformers. Likely people on these boards who buy and sell regularly would have better current knowledge of values than any outside person you could find.

Revenue Canada actually has regulations around fair market value of collectables and they define fair market value as “This is usually the highest dollar value you can get for your property in an open and unrestricted market, between a willing buyer and a willing seller who are acting independently of each other”. This is the definition that museums use as the basis for issuing tax receipts for donations. Based on this for Transformers completed auctions on Ebay really would be the best guide.

As far as protecting Transformers is concerned there are basic guidelines you can follow. This would make for a really boring panel but I could post them somewhere if you or anyone else is interested.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
Protoman
The Legend

Sure looks like a lot of stuff to me, and the Hazel room looks busy at all hours of the day.

So what your saying Knockout is we zap one of these right? Hmmmm I guess we don't need voice actor panels......
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #13
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegatron View Post
[COLOR=white]
As far as protecting Transformers is concerned there are basic guidelines you can follow. This would make for a really boring panel but I could post them somewhere if you or anyone else is interested.
I am interested in conservation and was pretty interested in your comments on light levels in another thread. At a minimum, assuming you don't want to do a panel, I would love a thread on recommended storage conditions. Any tips for common problems like cracking rubber tires on G1 figures, for example, would be welcome.

1. Combiner Wars Devastator
2. 25th Anniversary Unicron (MISB)
3. DOTM Takara Vortex (MOSC)
+ and more!

Looking to buy:
1. G1 Pretender Groundbreaker

My Feedback Thread

Avatar Image by the talented Ninjatron!
Bruticus82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #14
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockout View Post
And that room by the elevators, is that used all day?
Oh, I can answer this one, last year the customs class was in there on both Friday and Sunday, and yeah, it was basically the whole day. Not sure about Saturday.

+ and more!

Looking to buy:

My Feedback Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 08:03 PM   #15
RageD
Energon

My current problem is there is TOO much to do that I inevitably miss out on something.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:34 PM   #16
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Yeah, I've run into having too much to do at TFcon as well, which means having to pick and choose what one wants to do It is a good problem for a Con to have.

If panels are to be added I'd look at Friday night, or maybe something on Sunday.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #17
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Hm, I was under the impression that the event space at the hotel was bigger and there was unused rooms within it. I think what counts as alot and little is based on a personal view. Since I attend bigger cons, used to having more space and events that I sometimes forget the size of smaller ones.

Maybe it's not the amount of events that give the impression, but the enviroment. On Sunday last year and this year, less cosplays, less people in the Harzel room, more people in the dealers, but not as much as a Saturday, I think it's the mojo that just leaves.

Again, they were just suggestions, as whoever opened this titled it TFCON 2014 PANEL SUGGESTIONS. Clearly it is up to the organizations to decide what the programming will be and up to them if they had the time or space allowed to use them as they see fit. I'm not telling any of you to do anything. :/

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #18
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Most of the conventions I attend have a selection of panels organized by outside groups, but approved by the convention itself.

Iacon North has hosted multiple panels at conventions in Winnipeg where we are not a part of the staff, be it Anime Cons or Comic Con style events.

For instance here is the panel submission page from Ai-kon:

http://www.ai-kon.org/events/

Just an idea, and it is an idea that would require people to step up and express an interest in hosting something of the like.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:14 PM   #19
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Most of the conventions I attend have a selection of panels organized by outside groups, but approved by the convention itself.

Iacon North has hosted multiple panels at conventions in Winnipeg where we are not a part of the staff, be it Anime Cons or Comic Con style events.

For instance here is the panel submission page from Ai-kon:

http://www.ai-kon.org/events/

Just an idea, and it is an idea that would require people to step up and express an interest in hosting something of the like.
Anime North has the same thing, but TFcon has an issue with space and time slots. Looking over the timetable from last year there isn't much extra space unless something is removed. But suggestions or event ideas is always good to have in your back pocket, especially when the con , years down the road needs to expand. I can't speak for Ai-con, but AN has a ton of space, and still has issues with running out of space to hold things. They have events in the TCC, outside the TCC, Rad, International Plaza, Rennisence and Sheridan, I think they even had events in the Crowne last year.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Last edited by Knockout; 03-25-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #20
Bruticus82
Fortress Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockout View Post
Anime North has the same thing, but TFcon has an issue with space and time slots. Looking over the timetable from last year there isn't much extra space unless something is removed. But suggestions or event ideas is always good to have in your back pocket, especially when the con , years down the road needs to expand. I can't speak for Ai-con, but AN has a ton of space, and still has issues with running out of space to hold things. They have events in the TCC, outside the TCC, Rad, International Plaza, Rennisence and Sheridan, I think they even had events in the Crowne last year.
Yeah, it seems to me that most anime cons focus on a large number of sessions taking place concurrently in smaller rooms...whereas TFCon is seems to be focused on a smaller number of sessions in a fewer but larger rooms.

There are pros and cons to both of course. The anime con model means there will always be some session that you're interested in. The drawback of that model is there being overlapping sessions you want to go to.

I did look at your suggestion, and some, like cosplay and artist panels, do happen currently. Some that you suggested and that I've never seen before are:
  • Masterpiece discussion panel
  • Things you want to rant about panel
  • Create your own character panel

The first two strike me more as board threads, even in the way you've described them you seem to suggest they would be lead/participated in by the attendees. I'm not sure if they qualify as a "panel" in my definition...I certainly wouldn't attend just to hear what other people think. But I take it that these kinds of things are common in anime panels?

I'm not sure what the third would be like or cover...it seems like it would be tips on making up your own fan character. I don't know how many people do that...or if we would have someone suitable to guide the discussion. But, I suppose if we had something like the person who came up with drift or wingblade presenting, it could have some wider appeal.

+ and more!

Looking to buy:

My Feedback Thread

Last edited by Bruticus82; 03-26-2014 at 10:51 PM.