Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > TFcon Discussion

Old 07-04-2014, 12:40 AM   #51
LadyBug
Generation 2
Re: Tips and Tricks for First time TFCon Attendees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swalloweddark View Post
It not just this fandom. Its ..like... every fandom. You'll get the same response for any con. Some people don't believe in showering for the whole weekend or soap or deodorant.. So...Yea. It pretty common.

---
This happens at any type and every type of convention. You will be surprised by some stuff I had seen before. I've been con-ing since 2002 at numerous types of conventions. Luckily, the Transformers fandom isn't as bad as some others (like anime cons these days).
LadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:46 AM   #52
Cheers Ian
twitter @cheersian

Just a few tips when trying to make a deal with a dealer

1) Don't Lowball - Unless it's the end of the weekend, I can tell you that a dealer isn't going to sell you that item he has marked for $15 for $5 - It's just going annoy the dealer and he/she is less likely to work with you on a deal

2) If you don't like the price, don't argue with the dealer saying "Well it's only worth this - It only goes for *** on eBay" It's not eBay, and the dealers don't get this stuff for free - they purchase their stock as well, so they do need to make some money on things. Don't pick up an $8 item and look it up on your phone and say "It only goes for $5 on eBay - Can you do $5?" You're not paying shipping or exchange, so it works out in the end.

3)Bulk deals usually work well in your favor for saving money

4)If you aren't sure if you want to make an offer, just pick something up and say "What's the best you can do on this?" Usually 9 times out of 10 the dealer will give you the lowest price he's comfortable selling at.

5)Please don't ask the dealers for a bag if you are buying something like a Legends or Scout toy - Most of them come with a limited supply and it's only fair that they should have them available for their customers with larger purchases - Bring a backpack or your own bag.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:31 AM   #53
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

Be aware if you bring a bag or rolling suitcase you are aware of it's surroundings, so many times I wsa nearly knocked out by dudes with backpacks that were 10 ft. wide sticking out of their back or tripped on rolling suitcases that instead of being tucked in beside them was sticking out into the pathway.

Also try not to block traffic, so many cons suffer this problem. Don't talk, group gather in the centre of aisles and congested hallways and try to move with the flow of traffic.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #54
Masta_Skidz
Theoretician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockout View Post
Also try not to block traffic, so many cons suffer this problem. Don't talk, group gather in the centre of aisles and congested hallways and try to move with the flow of traffic.
okay now I know that you know that this is totally un avoidable as the aisles and hallways between the rooms are not the largest as it is a hotel not a stadium or hall also a lot of dealers buy to little display space and always try to maximize it by stacking items/ putting them places where they shouldn't go so alot of the time this cannot be avoided sorry not trying to be rude
Masta_Skidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #55
Ultra Maverick
The Bow Tie Guy

I make a list every year

Holy Grail figures (the ones you know you won't come across outside of a convention environment but you must have)

Figures/parts you need (to complete a collection or maybe you're just really into certain characters)

Figures you want (the ones that you would consider picking up if you found them at a decent price)

I assign a top price I would pay for each figure on the list and I won't buy anything off the list until I searched the dealer room for these figures.
Ultra Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #56
Mumps
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Ok...what does it say about the fandom that people keep having to tell others to shower? Boggles the mind.
Honestly, the TF fandom, or at least the TFCon attending fans, are by far the LEAST smelly group of fans I have ever encountered. There are still a handful of people who do not shower or wear deodorant.
Mumps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #57
CobraCommander
ありがとう任天堂 ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBug View Post
For any convention, remember the "3-8-3" rule:

1. Eat full meals at least 3 times a day.
2. At least sleep for 8 hours a day.
3. Shower at least 3 times during the weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swalloweddark View Post
4-2-1 rule
4 hours of sleep - 2 meals - 1 shower
So many rules, might as well add my own...
1-1-1 rule:

1 shall stand!
1 shall fall!
1 shall shower!

G.I.Joe Figures - Hisstank

Feedback Threads:
Cybertron.ca
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #58
Swalloweddark
Generation 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBug View Post
This happens at any type and every type of convention. You will be surprised by some stuff I had seen before. I've been con-ing since 2002 at numerous types of conventions. Luckily, the Transformers fandom isn't as bad as some others (like anime cons these days).
Um..Why did you just like..say the same thing I did? And tell me something I already know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta_Skidz View Post
okay now I know that you know that this is totally un avoidable as the aisles and hallways between the rooms are not the largest as it is a hotel not a stadium or hall also a lot of dealers buy to little display space and always try to maximize it by stacking items/ putting them places where they shouldn't go so alot of the time this cannot be avoided sorry not trying to be rude
Actually, it can. Its called moving on. There is alot of open space areas in the hotel/convention where you can go and chat with friends instead of standing in the hallway with your purchase in a circle being a drainage clog. In the dealers room it can by moving with traffic, talking off to the side and not blocking tables. Artists and Dealers do not like their tables blocked so if you want to chat with some friend sin the dealers room, take it outside instead of what? Being a drainage clog. Keep moving.

Last edited by Swalloweddark; 07-04-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Swalloweddark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #59
Robimus
Iacon North Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta_Skidz View Post
I doubt Vendors are blocking walk ways with merchandise (unless your talking about the traders that set up shop in the halls or lobby?)

If a vendor has spread out to the point that they are blocking traffic lanes please let Con staff know so they can address the situation.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #60
Knockout
I can't anymore. Done.

I don't think there was ever a case with a dealer blocking the way. It was more people gathering in the centre of the pathways just to talk and it's like, not only is that a fire hazard but it's very bothersome. I am sure you can find a better place to gab with your friends.

As soon as we hit 100 likes we will be having a sale!

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote