Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 08-26-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt
Late to the party?

Is anyone else like me -- late to the party when it comes to appreciating certain generations and toylines in the Transformers franchise?

I loved G1 as a kid, but after it ended, I took a pass on Beast Wars for typical reasons (TRUK NOT MUNKY), and didn't keep up much with the subsequent animated series (RID, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Animated, Prime) while they were current, for a variety of reasons (let's boil it down to NOT GEEWUN). I bought the occasional figure that looked cool, but didn't collect wholeheartedly.

Nowadays, with so many of those older series being available on Netflix or released on DVD, I'm finally getting around to watching them... and wouldn't you know it, now I want some damn toys. And what I'm realizing -- too late, of course -- is how much trouble it is to collect any of those toylines today, whereas they were plentiful on shelves and racks at the time.

My current late-to-the-party obsession is TF Animated, which I really appreciated after burning through all three seasons over two or three days of binge watching. Now I'm gradually building my collection from the toyline, and loving the figures... But oh, how I wish I'd been this enthusiastic about the series when these figures were actually out in stores.
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
FEZaid
Arabian Knight
Re: Late to the party?

Hey, when it comes to collection (anything: toys, stamps, art, rocks, etc.) you are never too late, its a hobby that is meant to be enjoyed a life time
Old 08-26-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
brr-icy
G1 Collector
Send a message via MSN to brr-icy

Animated is awesome, you can never be too late lol

my collection ^ Brr-icy Photgraphy on Facebook
Mostly G1 Japan Want list My Blog
my feedback:
Cybertron.ca
TFW
brr-icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
alternatorfan
g1 baby

Most of the lines are not hard to get a a fare price
Cybertron, Energon, rid , animated ,prime
Some might be more expensive than others for instance
Prime breakdown even though he did not get a N A toy
To complete the series on my part bought him the silas one for
$70 and unicron at $70 now my prime set is complete!
I also sold my cybertron metroplex
And now find it for $40 on the boards plus shipping which I don't think us too bad for a figure that was $70 retail!
alternatorfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
Hellboy
Alternator

TF Animated was fantastic! It was also the beginning of Hasbro's endeavour into making better transforming toys because they were more stylized and did not have to adhere to realistic vehicle modes.

I see people listing these for sale all the time and I often wonder how anyone could part with them... I'm still missing a couple of pieces from the line to complete it but patience will pay off.

The TF Prime figures are spectacular (especially the First Editions) and again some of the best transforming figures to date without having to get into the Masterpiece line.

It's never too late. You can still grab most of these at the cons if you go. Some places like Toys Toys Toys still have some too.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:15 AM   #6
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Never seen animated series, but the toys a super cool looking. Go for it!
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
Rev
Addict

I felt late to the party with mp figures.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:27 AM   #8
Protoman
The Legend

Being late pays off. Trust me.
Follow Protoman on TWITTER - Protoman http://twitter.com/Protoman
Protoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:31 AM   #9
RNSrobot
No I'm... doesn't.
RNSrobot's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelyken View Post
Is anyone else like me -- late to the party when it comes to appreciating certain generations and toylines in the Transformers franchise?

I loved G1 as a kid, but after it ended, I took a pass on Beast Wars for typical reasons (TRUK NOT MUNKY), and didn't keep up much with the subsequent animated series (RID, Armada, Energon, Cybertron, Animated, Prime) while they were current, for a variety of reasons (let's boil it down to NOT GEEWUN). I bought the occasional figure that looked cool, but didn't collect wholeheartedly.

Nowadays, with so many of those older series being available on Netflix or released on DVD, I'm finally getting around to watching them... and wouldn't you know it, now I want some damn toys. And what I'm realizing -- too late, of course -- is how much trouble it is to collect any of those toylines today, whereas they were plentiful on shelves and racks at the time.

My current late-to-the-party obsession is TF Animated, which I really appreciated after burning through all three seasons over two or three days of binge watching. Now I'm gradually building my collection from the toyline, and loving the figures... But oh, how I wish I'd been this enthusiastic about the series when these figures were actually out in stores.
Right? I got lucky. I watched the first few episodes, found them 'meh,' and then watched "Transwarped". Season 3 wowed me, and I managed to pick up most of the series before they vanished. Many at like, 40% off at TRU. It's a great toyline. I sold all my G1, half my Beast Wars, but didn't touch Animated. I love the personality in every toy. Nobody is static, and it's mildly stunning how well they translate such stylized designs into functioning Transforming robots.

Plus, you know, fucking guitar lazerbeak.

"YOU WIN AGAIN, GRAVITY!"
RNSrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
Omegatron
Gen 1

I know your pain. I felt that way about Beast Wars which I skipped because it fell during the few years between G1 and when I got back into collecting. Good shows do make you want to own toys.

My advice keep at it, look for deals and enjoy the fact that you get to experience good toys for the first time without having to overpay or wait impatiently for the next new sighting.
Omegatron is offline   Reply With Quote