Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Transformers Discussion > Transformers General Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #31
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions
Re: I said I wouldn’t and I did. Go "figure."

Dec 6 – Cliffjumper played by X-Transbots Toro

Why Toro and not Hellion? I don’t like that silver piece between the bottom of his chest and the top of his waist. I don’t know why it bugs me as much as it does and both BoNKerS and hard_return have taken amazing pictures of him but I just can’t get over the look of it so I went the XTB route. Now I am hoping there are no clearance issues like I had with the Windcharger or Beachcomber. XTB seems to be all over the map with their figures so let’s hope that this is one of the better ones (although I already know I’m not a fan of the backpack) so let me get this open, shoot some pics and see where we end up. OK back and ….. meh.

I still prefer his look to MMC but right out of the package the little “hood gun” fell off from the square that holds it so had to glue that. One of the pics I took with it, it wouldn’t even go in and not sure If I have the time to redo that one. Car mode looks nice; wheels have a tendency to shift if you not careful. Transformation was really simple, not one clearance issue from what I could see and bot mode is decent. The backpack is there and that’s fine but what bugs me more is the hollow gaps on the side of the biceps. Third shot I took was from underneath shooting up and it didn’t matter what I tried some kind of gap was going to show somewhere on this arm and that is disappointing. Shoulder ball joints are really noticeable and I can’t “unsee” them now which I also find disappointing. The knee joints are unbelievably stiff for being soft ratchets but in spite of all that he doesn’t feel fragile in any way, not worried about anything breaking. The guns are a bit strange as they don’t quite line up “right” and I can’t explain it better than that. Putting them in his hand and trying to match up the pegs to the holes can be a challenge and once in they don’t point the same way as the arm, they are just “off.”

He also comes with a ton of accessories, most of which I don’t recognize. The glass gas hand attachment and 1 pistol I get but where did all these other weapons and the staff come from? Other universes maybe because I don’t remember them in the G1 cartoon. Please let me know if you do. Beyond that I think it’s a good enough CJ but could have been better. XTB like PE is jumping all over the place with the design and quality of their products and is giving me serious thoughts as to what 3P company I really want to give my money to in the future. At this rate I may only stick with 3: Fans Toys, Maketoys and MMC (I see you smiling) but let me know what you think cause we are only 6 days in and quite a few 3P figs are yet to come.

wervenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:41 AM   #32
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Dec 7 - Cyclonus played by Fans Toys FT-29 Quietus

Ahh Cyclonus, how wonderful to see you again!

3 years, we have all (at least for all of those that wanted FT) been waiting for this. 3 DAMN YEARS from the time the silhouette was revealed until we have gotten him in hand. Back when I bought Andras I figured Eligos would be the next logical choice but then FT dropped a bombshell or so I thought at the time. I didn’t realize how big the 3P wars were going to be where someone came out with a product, another company dropped in and then FT would drop the bomb and say hey we are doing one too. So no one buys the other stuff because they want Fans Toys (skullface voice implied) myself included (NOTE they dropped a lot of stuff lately for Q1 and but I’m not trading up anymore to expensive). That is until Takara jumps in with an official and everyone jumps into that bandwagon. Fortunately I don’t jump the bandwagon from FT to Takara (with the exception of Quakewave and I’ll never do that again).

I’m glad that Takara is doing Hound but my Willis is just fine. I don’t think I’ve had many issues with any FT product (aside from them always putting upgrades for previous figures into new ones that you have to buy if you want the parts), I love the figures although some transformations are a pain but that happens with a few other companies’ products as well (XTB I’m looking at you). So now the question is “Was this worth the wait?” I’m not sure so let’s find out. I saw a review the day after I got him and was not pleased with the transformation so I have my rum and cokes (yes plural) in hand to prepare for said transformation. He’s purrdy but that’s where it stops for me. I think they did a great job on him but he never really had much personality in the G1 cartoon (until Starscream possessed him) and even that comes through. I can’t get a feel for him at all. I guess it’s because I never had much attachment to him as a character in the carton unless he was with Galvatron. Nightstick is something else. The left leg on mine doesn’t stay together with any movement but then I’ve never really tried to pose the Targetmasters much before.

I tried the IDW incarnation of Cyclonus first but as I’ve not yet read the comics I decided to read his character fiction first to see what he was like and who he is and was quite surprised with what I read. They really did some development with him there. I don’t like the look of it and it was nice to have them include parts so you could get him to look more that way, it’s just not for me.
Having him in hand showed me I need a new light setup (actually just better diffusers) because his chest is super shiny and my lights were bouncing off him like mad so I did my best to hide them. For the transformation I would say it took about 15 minutes (25 for the pauses on some reviews) but overall finicky, not as bad as I thought and 0 alcohol required. He’ sleek, he’s gorgeous in this mode and the whole cockpit issue I don’t get. Mine seems ok to me but perhaps there is something I can’t see (technically I have to get an eye exam next year so maybe that has something to do with it). Some of the tabs needed are folded away and have no locking point so you always have to watch that they don’t move when trying to tab it in. When I think of the last horrific FT figure transformations I didn’t find it as bad as Kup, Willis and especially Arcee (damn was THAT a nightmare). Last thing about jet mode and the single biggest letdown I have come across is where the hell do you plug Nightstick in? How the hell does FT come up with all this engineering, include extra parts for another incarnation and yet somehow overlook the Targetmaster attaching in vehicle mode. Like dudes, at FT, seriously wtf is up with that? I cheated and tabbed him into the panels on the top of the nosecone because it was the only thing I could think of.
OK word of warning after I put him back into bot mode, the metal knee caps rest against the bottom of the chest and caused some minor scrapes there. Not highly visible but I can see them with no issues so not really a good thing there. Now that I have finished the gallery the trio looks solid but now find myself waiting for and wanting to see what they do with Scourge. As nice as Andras is he seems a bit out of place, not much, but just a little bit. As I’ve had a few hours to collect my thoughts I still think he’s stunning but if a figure was ever supposed to evoke personality I would give it to the IDW look over the G1, even with no connection to it, it speaks volumes IMHO.

Part 1 – G1 Cyclonus

Part 2 Alt Mode

Old 12-07-2018, 07:42 AM   #33
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Sorry 2 posts cause lots of pics (and this isn't all of them)

Part 3 IDW Cyclonus

Part 4 Unicron’s Spawn

Old 12-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #34
positivelyken
One Man Gestalt

As always, your Christmas countdown and those fantastic pics are a joy to see. I've thought more and more about 3P offerings lately, and your Not-Cliffjumper and Not-Cyclonus galleries are doing a lot to sell me on them, lol. Great work dude!
positivelyken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #35
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by positivelyken View Post
As always, your Christmas countdown and those fantastic pics are a joy to see. I've thought more and more about 3P offerings lately, and your Not-Cliffjumper and Not-Cyclonus galleries are doing a lot to sell me on them, lol. Great work dude!
Thank you very much and glad you're enjoying it and sorry for causing pain to your wallet lol. I hate that when BoNKerS does that to me
Old 12-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #36
Pascal
Banned

Cyclonus, looking good just standing there. I love this thread.
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #37
predahank
Storing is hoarding

Great shots man! Quietus looks super sleek

keep it up!
predahank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #38
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Cyclonus, looking good just standing there. I love this thread.
Yeah he does and glad you are enjoying it

Quote:
Originally Posted by predahank View Post
Great shots man! Quietus looks super sleek

keep it up!
Thanks and will do. Some BIG stuff coming up
Old 12-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #39
wervenom
Big Daddy
wervenom's Ebay Auctions

Dec 8 - Grimlock played by Fans Toys FT-08 Grinder

OK, so much like this calendar I swore I was not going to buy this. At all. Since I planned the Unicron Trilogy dump and Grimlock was Autobot leader in the comics my Takara MP can go in the “Primus/Autobot Leaders” Detolf and this would justify getting Grinder. I could never sell Tak Grimmy because his price just bottomed out almost as bad as Apollyon and I can’t sell a figure for 25% of what I paid for it, I just can’t (well not for one that expensive anyway). I already had the OS Grimlock in the past but it didn’t work for me. Could have gone with Gigapower but since I already have 4 FT Dinos then might as well go the rest of the way and finish them off. Thanks to Madhaus I can say the FT Dinos are complete.

As for the figure, he’s big, beefy but lighter than I thought initially, but I think it was because I was holding MMC Magna in the other hand at the time but even after opening he still seemed lighter than say Sovereign. I disliked the Dino head intensely from day 1 (which was another reason not to buy initially) so I bought the G1 style head. I really can’t say much more in terms of anything, it’s Grimlock as there were really no surprises. If anything I’d have to say the biggest surprise was when I had to shoot Takara MP Grimlock I had forgotten how bad his hips were in bot mode.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #40
theoneyouknowleast
Classic

It honestly isn't Christmas without this thread. Great Photos!

My Sales Thread
My Wanted Thread
My Feedback Thread

Looking For: Nothing Right Now
theoneyouknowleast is online now   Reply With Quote