Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #111
Darth Cylon
addicted to mecha
Re: Movie Talk (Possible Spoilers)

Loki was a much better (and loved) villain than Ultron. Not only was Loki established as a character in Thor, but he has a lot more interactions and fun with everyone. And Loki will be back for more. Ultron Prime was just a bit weird.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #112
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwankenobi View Post
Mad Max: Fury Road trailer.

Breathtaking.

If this trailer was a car it would the Last of the V-8 Interceptors.
Holy.
Fucking.
Shit.

Pardonez mon Français but that’s what I kept uttering for 2+ hours as I watched the one of a kind spectacle unravel that was Mad Max: Fury Road over the weekend.

Visionary. Masterpiece. Game-changer. All descriptors used in recent reviews to describe George Miller’s vision and Max Rockatansky’s newest outing.

It’s all true.

Yes, the plot is basic. Capture, escape, fight, defeat, chase, fight, victory, end. But the overarching themes of the Mad Max Universe are still intact: survival, retribution and redemption. Plot is kept simple to let the bone-crushing steel smashups do the talking.

To say Miller has packed every frame with visual information is an understatement. Every grain of sand, every bullet, every dented metal surface, every scarred face tells a story. But unlike George Lucas who went pixel crazy for the Prequels at the expense of character development, Miller understands that every NOS-powered vehicle is nothing without its driver so enough is conveyed to make you understand who it is you care about and who should be thrown under the wheels.

Speaking of drivers Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron are remarkable in their chemistry and physicality. For every step Max has tried to separate himself from the fading shreds of his humanity, Furiosa counters with a fierce yearning to undo the terrible things she’s likely done to survive. Hardy does a great Mel Gibson impression both in voice and mannerisms but he also gives Max a new dimension by ultimately trusting his life in Furiosa’s hands whom he quickly realizes is his equal and mirror image. Carly from DOTM is actually very good in this movie which is a testament to the writing and directing. Nicholas Hoult (young Beast from the most recent X-Men movies) is astounding as a cancer-riddled War Boy who aligns himself with our heroes against the incredibly creepy Immortan Joe and his pair of equally sickening warlords and their armies.

The practical effects are truly a breathtaking sight to behold. Every vehicular impact, every swinging “Pole Cat”, every heavy-metal guitar flame ball is 100% real with the exception of one 3D CGI effect at the very end with the same guitar that I could have done without.

IMO, this film harkens back to films that provided entertainment through escapism. The mythology of the world in Fury Road is so layered that you never question if this would really happen in a post-apocalyptic world, you just gleefully accept it as you hang on for dear life as Max is strapped to the hood of a car hurtling into a sandstorm that makes The Perfect Storm look like an April shower.

Definitely check it out. 3D is 50/50 worth it/not worth it. Just leave the laws of physics at the door, slap on some goggles, forget the seatbelt, and for fuck’s sake HANG ON TO SOMETHING!!!

Last edited by jjwankenobi; 05-26-2015 at 02:28 PM.
jjwankenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:10 PM   #113
MULTIPLEX
DECEPTICON BEATDOWN TIME!

Well, you've peaked my interest.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:06 PM   #114
Rodimus Prime1
Ride in Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme987 View Post
So what did everyone think of Avengers 2: AOU ?

I just watched it today and I thought it was really good. A few times I rolled my eyes but that's to be expected nowadays I guess to try & appeal to a larger audience. Anyway I liked it so much I just might go watch it again before it's done @ the theater.

Other than the CGI opening forest fight scene, which I thought was a little over the top.

I feel that they(movie makers in general) push some CGI scenes because they can and it seems to ruin it.

I really enjoyed the movie,think this was better than the last but will have to see it a few more times to see if that holds up.

Was surprised by Vison so that was great!!

Gripes
- I still wish Hawkeye had a mask.
- Wish they would have tied PYM in with ultron (but that's just a nit-pick)

Wants: >

Feedback

Collection
Rodimus Prime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:53 PM   #115
MULTIPLEX

Quote:
Holy.
Fucking.
Shit.

Pardonez mon Français but that’s what I kept uttering for 2+ hours as I watched the one of a kind spectacle unravel that was Mad Max: Fury Road over the weekend.

Visionary. Masterpiece. Game-changer. All descriptors used in recent reviews to describe George Miller’s vision and Max Rockatansky’s newest outing.

It’s all true.

Yes, the plot is basic. Capture, escape, fight, defeat, chase, fight, victory, end. But the overarching themes of the Mad Max Universe are still intact: survival, retribution and redemption. Plot is kept simple to let the bone-crushing steel smashups do the talking.

To say Miller has packed every frame with visual information is an understatement. Every grain of sand, every bullet, every dented metal surface, every scarred face tells a story. But unlike George Lucas who went pixel crazy for the Prequels at the expense of character development, Miller understands that every NOS-powered vehicle is nothing without its driver so enough is conveyed to make you understand who it is you care about and who should be thrown under the wheels.

Speaking of drivers Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron are remarkable in their chemistry and physicality. For every step Max has tried to separate himself from the fading shreds of his humanity, Furiosa counters with a fierce yearning to undo the terrible things she’s likely done to survive. Hardy does a great Mel Gibson impression both in voice and mannerisms but he also gives Max a new dimension by ultimately trusting his life in Furiosa’s hands whom he quickly realizes is his equal and mirror image. Carly from DOTM is actually very good in this movie which is a testament to the writing and directing. Nicholas Hoult (young Beast from the most recent X-Men movies) is astounding as a cancer-riddled War Boy who aligns himself with our heroes against the incredibly creepy Immortan Joe and his pair of equally sickening warlords and their armies.

The practical effects are truly a breathtaking sight to behold. Every vehicular impact, every swinging “Pole Cat”, every heavy-metal guitar flame ball is 100% real with the exception of one 3D CGI effect at the very end with the same guitar that I could have done without.

IMO, this film harkens back to films that provided entertainment through escapism. The mythology of the world in Fury Road is so layered that you never question if this would really happen in a post-apocalyptic world, you just gleefully accept it as you hang on for dear life as Max is strapped to the hood of a car hurtling into a sandstorm that makes The Perfect Storm look like an April shower.

Definitely check it out. 3D is 50/50 worth it/not worth it. Just leave the laws of physics at the door, slap on some googles, forget the seatbelt, and for fuck’s sake HANG ON TO SOMETHING!!!
Read your post again...

Old 05-26-2015, 02:04 AM   #116
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Read your post again...

Like Snap! said in the 90s, "I'm serious as cancer..." when I say Fury Road is an awesome movie.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:41 AM   #117
Sun Swipe Prime
Canadian Slag

Quote:
Like Snap! said in the 90s, "I'm serious as cancer..." when I say Fury Road is an awesome movie.
Yeah, I couldn't agree more with your review post. George Miller at 70 still knows how to make movies.

Michael Bay at whoever-gives-a-crap age isn't fit to hold one of Miller's testicles. Hell, he's not even fit to pick up Miller's shed pubic hair.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #118
MULTIPLEX

Interesting. Sounds like I will have to watch this with the wifey. But I can't help but think...

Old 05-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #119
jjwankenobi
Midichlorian Count Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Interesting. Sounds like I will have to watch this with the wifey. But I can't help but think...

Impossible.

Starfighters and landspeeders are fictional.

He needs tangible vehicles to smash the shit out of.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:59 AM   #120
MULTIPLEX

Just rewatched The Running Man (1987) tonight. Man, what a great movie. Richard Dawson was so good in this role. And some of the best cheesy Arnold lines in this one. Please don't tell me this is being remade!