Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion
Go Back   Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
Requateer
Armada
Help with buying comics?

I don't read a lot of comics, and the few I do get interested in, I usually just pick up as trades and collections down the road well after their original running dates. So the whole concept of picking up single issues on a regular basis is kinda foreign to me. but with the Dark Cybertron ending and turning back into MTMTE and RID, and especially with the Windblade miniseries coming out very soon, I've gotten far enough down the rabbit hole to finally give it a shot.

So my question is, how the hell does it work, anyway? Do you preorder issues to reserve a copy at your local comic shop? Can you set up some sort of subscription thing for certain series to be picked up every Wednesday (is it still Wednesday as well for Canada, by the way)?

On a related note for anyone around the GTA, what are some recommended comic shops around here (if there are any around Mississauga or Brampton, that would be awesome)? I'm aware of a few downtown shops like Silver Snail, The Beguiling and One Million Comix, but which do you guys rely on for getting single issues regularly?

Sorry for being a total comics newbie, but I look forward to remedying that very soon!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
bubbacon
Generation Everything
Re: Help with buying comics?

You can generally walk into a comics shop at anytime and pick up a recently released comic for cover price. What I'd recommend, of course, is to find a comic shop you like and set up a "pull file." Tell the retailer the titles you want and he will put them in your file when they are released, for you to pick up at your convenience. In addition, most comic shops offer a discount off cover price when you open a file. (Usually 10-15% off)

Retailers have to order MOST of their books roughly two months in advance (their June orders are due in about two weeks) so you will want to be sure to go soon and ask him/her to save a copy of the "Dawn of the Autobots" stuff since it starts this month. (Wingblade #1, RID, MTMTE)

Can't help you with the best retailer though as I only know of Silver Snail in Toronto.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
0taku
Machine War
0taku's Ebay Auctions
Send a message via MSN to 0taku Send a message via Yahoo to 0taku

off the top of my head. in brampton i would do stadium comics in shoppers world. really nice guys there. mississauga, image collections in streetsville. scarborugh area i really like the comic room at mccowen and lawrence and don't forget free comic book day is coming up may 3rd. hope that helps
0taku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #4
Autobotz24
G1 Junkie
Autobotz24's Ebay Auctions

I used to go to image comics in streetsville all the time. Same with the comic shop at square one. Can't remember the name though

Feedback thread
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showt...ght=Autobotz24

Among the winners, there is no room for the weak
Autobotz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Nullray
IGC

Well buying comics is a great thing. Some people wait for the TPB collections to come out. I am doing this with the dark cybertron saga. I bought issue 1 and decided to just complete my regeneration line. I suggest you get to know your local guy and they usually allow you create a bucket or bin. Basically he/she will put aside which ever lines you enjoy and when you get the chance you drop in and pick up your books. Advantage to this is the ability to read a few issues back to back. You can also get back issues if they have them on site and sometimes they have sales. I missed issue 100 but after a quick chat with my guy. I asked him if he could get me all the variant issues. No problem with a smile and its only gonna take two weeks. I always go back.
I go to McCowan and Lawrence. The Comic Room
Nullray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:26 AM   #6
Requateer
Armada

Awesome, thanks for all the help! I'm gonna be giving Stadium Comics a shot tomorrow and see if I can set up a pull list there.